1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 Generations

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Kurlon, Oct 30, 2016.

1. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

For a ride. Quit garage tuning.

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Track days are expensive when your bike doesn't run in the first place.

3. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Hey Josh, what about Markbilt in NJ (literally right next door to NJMP). He's got a wealth of experience on R6's. Maybe one of the LRRS crew will be doing a Penguin day or CCS race weekend at NJMP in Sept. and have space in their trailer to drop it off for you. Just a thought.

4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

verify fuel pressure.. rebuilt pump or not..

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I'm trying to track down a tank/pump combo and ecu to swap test with. Problem is, no 2nd gens around me any more.

6. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

This was the correct answer. Did open practice on it today and it's running like a top. Weird throttle issue is gone, bike is working beautifully. Now I just need to learn how to ride a 600. Also, coming from dirt and a machine with a slipper, I need to learn how to downshift. I've picked up some BAAAAD habits.

emry likes this.
  7. twin ty

twin ty Well-Known Member

Post up pics of that beast!

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Survived my first race on it, Unlimited SS, came in dead last turning 1:22s at NHMS, but at least I stayed on the lead lap! Seat time on it helped me up my aggression level on the FZR which netted my first expert win ever, so I'd say the investment was worth it.

I want to throw a quick shifter, slipper, etc on it but I think I'll be better served learning to ride it better sans aides. I'm realizing just how much crap I can get away with on the FZR that this bigger bike will not forgive... my riding is so imprecise. I do want to put it on a diet though, what a pig to load into the trailer, and it's not exactly easy to muscle around the track either. Staying CCS SuperSport legal, are there any easy/big weight savings to be had on this bike? Also, who makes a captive spacer setup for this generation, I'm way spoiled by my FZR when it comes to wheel changes now.

haygood likes this.
  10. emry

11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

It's hilarious, nearly everything I google on R6 setup eventually leads to Melk-Man posts on the topic.

Captive-ish spacers are out there, so that's easy to sort.

On the weight front I think I'm just going to have to live with the bike being a piggie. Lithium batt will drop a couple pounds, I could source an aluminum subframe for a couple pounds, possibly a pound or two via an exhaust system at no small expense... not much else I can do without REALLY opening the wallet and busting out of supersport.

Seems like everyone bumps the idle RPM to lessen engine braking and mask some of that random surge when you open the throttle back up in a corner so I'll be trying that next round. Still haven't decided on who to take it to for a full mapping so the slide stops will stay out for now.

12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, I let Computrack Boston measure the R6 and give'er the old bouncy bouncy and found a few interesting things:

1) Despite the bike having a rough past, the frame is straight, just a minor tweak to the fork clamps was all that was required.
    2) The Penske shock had no nitrogen in it.
    3) The bike had been to Computrack Boston before, turns out it started it's life at Loudon under a couple different riders before wandering south. It's now back home.
    4) Need to tear open the forks, the caps don't appear to be OEM, cartridge kit maybe?

I'm hoping the slide stop kit plus a proper mapping is the fix for the horrible delay going from closed throttle to maint in a corner, it's making T3 at NHMS a royal pain to do properly. I'm also tempted to go Shervin on the swingarm and 'buff' out the weld that goes down the middle right in front of the tire. I regeared, cut a new chain and didn't realize that there wasn't enough room for my warmers to fit after... actually had just a touch of wheel rub when hot too before I tweaked my chain slack. Grinders are cheaper than a new chain, right? :D

13. emry

Picture of the cap?

14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

These are what I have, preload is not color anodized, and only two flats for use with a wrench:
    IMG_2720.JPG

These are what I'd expect to find on an 03/04 R6, blue anodized preload adjuster with a 6 flat hex top so you can use a wrench or socket:
    s-l1600.jpg

15. emry

OEM cap although I can't specifically place it. Maybe late 90's GSXR? You have forks with custom valving (hopefully) but probably a stock cartridge.

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Interesting, so someone was playing OEM mix-n-match, fun. Should prove interesting to tear into.

17. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

have you weighed it yet?

18. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Not yet, I should have given there are scales two garages down from me and I had plenty of down time this weekend to just wheel it over. I'll try to remember to do so next round.

19. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Melka and all the R6 experts, what should a SS build R6 weigh in at?

20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Random other fun: Changing the rear sprocket resulted in one stud coming out of the carrier, I'll be damned if I can get the nut off the stud, vice + impact and no movement. Fortunately, I have a second sprocket carrier so that got cleaned up and put into service. Stud came out cleanly from the first carrier so I'll just buy a new stud for it. I assume red loctite on those?

Shifting - Watching modern middleweights buzz around, they pretty much keep them spun at damn near peak RPM all the way around the track. This 03 actually responds from lower in the revs, and given my lack of practice downshifting sans a slipper I'm doing pretty limited shifting. Is that just a 2nd gen vs 3rd gen trait, or should I be spinning it and working the gearbox harder?