Toy hauler towing experience with a 1500

Discussion in 'General' started by MVA25, Jun 15, 2019.

1. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, I haven’t seen any on the road. I live about 15min away from the Oshawa GM plant that closed down or is being repurposed so I assume that has a lot to do with it.

ducnut likes this.
  2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You’re spot-on. Semi-trucks with cockpits not aligned cause issues with drivers. Our PT department identifies it with a lot of drivers. But, accounting and management are chasing other bullet points. Profit at the expense of the employee.

Phl218 likes this.
  3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

:mad:
    I really, really want a zap gun.

4. fastfreddie

In case anyone is wondering, a zap gun "zaps" things off the planet.
    No one cares what happens to the, ahem, items, just so long as they're off the planet.

Gorilla George likes this.
  5. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

What ever bbs GOD! go look in the mirror I ain’t the problem here.

I think I just sided with Tom some how by saying that :oops:

Mot Okstef likes this.
  6. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

You know that the 2500/3500s are still the previous gen body style? The 2020s coming out at the end of summer are fully redesigned based on the newest 1500s but supposedly don't share a ton of parts. So the HD trucks might have the steering wheel fixed

I'm going to move to an HD truck next spring and am really leaning towards the new GMC 2500 on paper

7. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Comedy hour in here. Would love to see how some of you guys sit in the seat and grab the steering wheel. My '17 2500HD causes zero issues on long drives. If you're white-knuckling the steering wheel with some jacked up body English to account for the almost imperceptible misalignment of the wheel, then yea, you're gonna have a rough day.

8. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Living on the Island of Misfit Toys

:crackup:

9. DWhyte91

I drove for most of a 17hr day in my 15’ 2500hd with two other people. Never heard a peep about being uncomfortable and I had no issues either. The next day was another 10hrs of travel and I was quite pleased with my truck, I’ll be sad to let it go actually.

10. fastfreddie

The steering wheel I turned was definitely installed in some other fashion than the GM trucks I had checked out years ago. Whether it's the way it's gonna be or the way it is 'til the "new" generation comes out doesn't matter, it's still a BS solution.

I can wait to see what happens...gives me an opportunity to come up with a truly scathing response either way like, what took you so long, or you still haven't figured this out? :D

Next rip will be on their electronics...more cut-rate solutions. But I think we can all agree electronics is not any vehicle MFG's forte. ;)

ducnut likes this.
  11. fastfreddie

Almost imperceptible? Dude, that shit reached out and smacked me right up in the section of my brain that says WTF?
    I can only imagine how anyone couldn't see it! Are they completely oblivious to the nuances in life or do they accept that mediocre is a reasonable compromise as an interface with the world and not look further for better?
    Careful not to let it go too soon. You may be even sadder that you can't replace it with something better.
    That thought is one of the ones that keeps me in my on-the-verge-of-being-a-beater '02...18-19 hours with a trailer from NOLA to central PA in one shot is comfortable enough, provided the steering wheel is in front of me. :D

ducnut likes this.
  12. DWhyte91

It’s being used to drop the kids off at daycare and get groceries at this point. I’m done driving to the east coast racing and I’m downsizing my trailer to a 7’x12’. I know the new gasser won’t compare but I can get a small car and a well equipped 1/2t for the same monthly payments and have them payed off sooner. It doesn’t make sense to keep really and this way my truck will be clean the way I want it. The wife doesn’t seem to appreciate that she’s driving a Denali HD so she can drive a base model something going forward so she’ll be the one who missis it most. I’m in my company vehicle (ford transit tin can) 99% of the time.

Phl218 and ducnut like this.
  13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Sadly, that’s the GM way. I see it in my ‘06.

I think, when Sergio took over FCA, he recognized the mediocrity in their pickups. They went from having so-so interiors to setting the bar. Then, GM got their shit together and came out with the Highland(?) and other premium trims. Ford came out with the Limited and other premium variants, as well. Even so, opening the door to a premium Ram, sitting inside, and closing that door, seems like they’re still a nicer truck.

Phl218 likes this.
  14. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Using that Logic you need a truck that is truly symmetrical and where your ass sits dead in the middle of the truck....
    You imply that the angled steering shaft is a design flaw, odds are pretty good they did it for a reason. Either to miss a body mount or for crash safety issues. It is a safe bet that it is that way for a reason.

It is odd to me that you consider a rattling oil leaking stinking POS like a 7.3 quite acceptable but a angled steering shaft is a deal breaker.

Razr likes this.
  15. fastfreddie

A stout mid-size SUV could handle that trailer, too, if you're still considering your options.
    I do like me some RAM. It's the best looking, too.
    The bet would be, they're too cheap to design a new frame to carry their product into the 21st century. They could get everything right, but nooooo...

As far as my rattling, leaking, stinking 7.3 POS...
    Whatdya want for 17 years of faithful service? Gleaming turbo down pipes, quiet injectors and limp mode?
    Pfft. Get real. I drive it, occasionally change the fluids, keep slappin' fuel in it and roll it on good rubber. It has never, and never will, cough, puke, hiccup or die cuz I forgot to do some emissions related BS that robs it of its performance potential and leaves me stranded in the process or it feels like it has to regenerate in some WTF operational mode to keep itself in compliance with its programming...which can't be interrupted!

If I need more towing capability, it's cheaper to upgrade the under-stressed 7.3 and it's drivetrain than it is to buy a new-fangled nanny-state abortion of mandated BS. Hell, I could do the 90hp powerstroke upgrade, drop an '05 4wd front end under it (mine's 2wd), put in a manual 6spd transmission, dual-range transfer case, related driveshafts, throw a ten thousand dollar paint job at it and STILL have a better truck for my needs than what's available today on any given lot. Did I mention that could all be done for less than what it would cost to buy a babysitter truck of today?
    That's why my POS is worth $50K to me...it's gonna take that amount of cash to replace it, with a no-frills RAM.

And the steering wheel? Right where it should be...not an issue. If a MFG can't get the interface between driver and machine correct, what else is effed up? Do you think for one moment that Mercedes, Porsche or any other serious auto MFG would allow that shit to fly? Not a chance in hell.
    The only thing GM has going for it is the laurels they're resting on, earned from the popularity of their inexpensive small block V8 gasser. I can't think of any other reason to own a GM. Can you?

(Sorry for the poke, it's not personal. I just can't abide a MFG that apparently thinks the driver's interface isn't an important factor to consider when engineering a design. FFS, the design should start from the driver's seat. The McLaren F1 is still one of the baddest supercars on the planet nearly three decades after its introduction and they prioritized the driver. Yeah, he sits in the center, passengers are outboard.)

Phl218 and ducnut like this.
  16. DWhyte91

It could but I still need a truck. I prefer to throw my dirt bike in the truck instead of having to pull a trailer and having a house there’s always a need for a truck.

TLR67 likes this.
  17. fastfreddie

I hear ya. There's a lot to be said about being able to toss toys or tools into a bed...and no need for a diesel dually. I'd still say you'd want an 8' bed or, at least, a kickass Ready Ramp. :D
    Ready Ramp Truck Bed Extender - Ready Ramp

ducnut likes this.
  18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

We call trucks with short beds city trucks.

5axis and ducnut like this.
  19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

My buddy just bought a Colorado, crew cab, short bed. I borrowed it to move a ZTR in my box trailer. The chassis shuddered all the way there, with the tongue weight on it. The empty ride wasn’t anything to brag about, either. He conceded my housemate’s Ridgeline was a much better vehicle and would’ve been a better fit for him (commuting and occasionally pulls a trailer with a ZTR), but, he couldn’t get past their looks. For most urbanites, the Ridgeline is a great option. My housemate has a 1st Gen and her brother a 2nd Gen, so fairly familiar with them.

Razr likes this.
  20. Phl218

Phl218 .