1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toy hauler towing experience with a 1500

Discussion in 'General' started by MVA25, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I guess. I'm not talking aiolis with flavor or the like but plain old mayo. It just adds slime to things for me - now as a binder for certain salads it's great. I'd prefer mustard or even nothing to plain mayo.

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Even though I don’t have one, I really like driving Superduties, as well. A previous employer had them for shop trucks. They fit me really well and I’ve never gotten out of one feeling stiff in the legs and back, after a long day.

3. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

The 2020 F250 Tremor has me wishing I had a bigger garage and a bigger wallet.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It comes with worms?

TLR67 likes this.
  5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

In support of the "meds" post, I offer laughter as the best medicine.
    There is absolutely nothing funnier about Chevy than Mahk and his "Real People" ads.
    Like a Reservoir Dog, I'm frickin' dyin' over here... :crackup:

Greenhound386 likes this.
  6. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

I couldn’t imagine towing a toy hauler with any gas vehicle, but for me it’s just a major OCD thing. I want my vehicle to pull the load like it’s not even there pretty much. Otherwise I feel like I’m pushing it to hard. I’m In a ford econoline 150 conversion van with the 5.8l, its a 94 but she’s mint with 28,000 original miles on it. I had to have it when I saw it I was looking for a Chevy express then seen a garage kept 94 e150 with 18,900 miles and had to have it. So in this 10,000 miles I’ve put on it mostly back and forth to deals gap area I’ve towed most of them. Started with borrowing a friends 6.5x14 enclosed trailer. It did pull it fine but I want to run85/90mph which just seemed to hard on it and this was with just 2 bikes. A R1 and the wife’s R3. I’m glad I borrowed my friends trailer because i was looking for a enclosed setup. After that trip I bought a kendon 3 rail trailer and love it. I can go as fast as I want and not feel like I’m pushing it.
    With all that said I wouldn’t want to pull any toy hauler without a diesel and if I did it would have to be a vehicle that I don’t give a shit about. These threads where you all get this Roy guy all worked up are hilarious.

7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Buy a lesser trim package with 4.30’s, rear locker, and throw a Carli suspension under it on 40’s. You’ll be in a more capable truck and happier driving it.

8. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I don’t get worked up over this bs but I do agree with a lot of what you said.

9. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

They are putting the 10 speed behind the 5.3 for the 2020 model year. Not many complaints about the shifting in the 10 speed. The 8 speed doesn't have the greatest rep for it's performance.

ducnut likes this.
  10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

There are quite a few 8sec Stangs with a stock 10-spd. They sound like they have gears for days, going down the strip.

Phl218 likes this.
  11. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

That 5.8 is sooooooooo underpowered. You really need to try a modern gas engine before you give up on gas!

Heck, my wife's 2019 Expedition makes 470 ft/lbs of torque. That's more than the Ford 7.3 diesel in 1994.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  12. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Ahh man! Maybe I should just get the 6.2L. I might end up ordering one if the same discounts apply and it would be a 2020.

ducnut likes this.
  13. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Real easy to stop the hunting for gears. You move the shifter and keep it there. Tada.
    Same as everyone always talking about "yeah its an automatic but it has flappy paddles!" Ummmm great. FYI I could choose which gear I wanted with a 67 chevelle automatic too. Nothing new, or cool, about flappy paddles.

turner38 likes this.
  14. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Not always, the old 400’s would shift out of low whether you held it there or not eventually....:D

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

You should try towing your camper with a 1,000 ft/lbs of torque :)

ineedanap likes this.
  16. Dave675

To piggy back off this, but the other direction. I wish you could lock an automatic into a higher gear. You can keep if from up shifting, but not down shifting. That was my biggest pet peeve when towing with a gas burner automatic. You would be pulling a hill perfectly fine, about to crest, and the damn thing would drop one or two gears for no reason. With the diesel, the boost gauge goes up and truck stays in whatever gear you're in.

ducnut and bored&stroked like this.
  17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

when I had a 454/4l80 powered motorhome... it would do that often. So annoying and dramatic.. Added a cold air, headers & exhaust,roller rockers, larger TB and a eprom flash. It would then chug with authority, in od, if you didnt roll the downslope with all she had...lol. Coming in & out of Road Atlantas pits was funny. Now with a 496 & 6 sp allison... much better. Just chugs alomg at 1900rpms @ 60. Hills like on I20 or headed to VIR... just turn od off and let it eat

Dave675 likes this.
  18. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

The eight speed trans and 6.2 fixes that issue. On a really big pull you may see the tack go to 3500 or so but most of the time it stays in 6th if you are running 70-75 at around 2-2200....It’ll top Monteagle at 75MPH and never turn over 3500RPM doing it with our setup.

19. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

If I had 1,000 ft/lbs of torque, I'd probably just buy a bigger camper. :)

20. Dave675

I fixed the issue with a 6.7 tuned and deleted Cummins....80 mph @1750 rpm...never comes out of over unless I manually take it out :)

At 2100 RPM I'd be doing around 95mph

Phl218 likes this.