1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the FTP's amongst us

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Jan 27, 2014.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How about critical thinking skills? Conflict resolution? Situational awareness? The ones that get me are when it’s “technically” a good shoot but in reality was completely unnecessary. The ones that come to mind are the mentally disabled guy with a butter knife, the homeless guy with a pen knife, the lesbian with the pipe, and this suicidal drunk lady near my hometown a few years ago. In every case the shooting looked okay on paper but a competent officer could have easily diffused the situation. Hell, that old homeless guy in New Mexico could have stabbed the cop ten times with his time little knife and it wouldn’t have even drawn blood!

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If you are going to ask for those things you have to pay for those things. No one with those skills would take the job at the current pay rates. Because they are critical thinkers capable of evaluating the situation the only conflict they are aware of is that the job responsibilities and liabilities way higher than the pay scale. Those without those skills line up to possibly get shot at for $40k to $50k a year and the hope of a guaranteed pension down the road. They are working with the skill sets they have and no amount of training is going to overcome that.

Clearly there are mental health issue and homelessness issues to deal with and in a lot of cases those two are intertwined but none of that is the responsibility of the average police officer. I used the word average on purpose by the way. They aren't super heroes with super powers and mistakes are going to get made.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Until you're in the situation, I'd say your benchwarming viewpoint is kinda academic...

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

If someone states they are quitting but they actually don’t. Is it really quitting?

5. Venom51

Most crackheads behave that way. :D

6. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Oh, bless your heart.....look at this shit? :crackup:

Almost as if, people have predicted YOUR position on LE matters for years now. :eek: :D Just watching your [shit] attitude these past few months, I can guarantee you, your LE career would have been a short one......I GUARANTEE it! And you're throwing daggers at others who make that career decision.....that's amusing, to say the least.

Where are they making police officers with only 12 weeks of training, no psych test or b/g checks??? Where?
    Police/Sheriff officers we're talking here NOT corrections where I believe you admitted once to having some knowledge.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Had I chosen to do LE, I'd have been great at it. You don't have to be a boot licker like you to be successful. Based on your the viewpoints you hold on here, you were the WORST kind of cop.

As for the 12 weeks, it's actually 16 now, but there are multiple academies offering this type of course all over the country - once you graduate (lots of people actually have jobs secured BEFORE graduation) it's extremely easy to get a job at just about any sheriff dept or small to medium sized town pd. The fact that you don't know this seriously calls into question your "expertise", because this is the way most of the law enforcement agencies in the nation operate. Once you get outside of the major metros, very few departments offer training - you've got to bring that to the table yourself. And they're almost all so short staffed that they will literally hire anyone with a POST certification. Bad cops just jump from dept to dept until they either get caught in something that can't be covered up or give up on the field.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

The shovel... Put it down... You're embarrassing yourself.

XFBO likes this.
  9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How? You goofballs focus on one narrow aspect of my personality, like it defines me. I question a lot of the things LE does, not because I dislike them, but because I know it can be done better. I've discussed this before, but my critiques are rooted in the influences a handful of really good police officers (state troopers actually) had on me when I was young. Good cops (and successful people in general) do not settle for the status quo, keep their mouths shut, toe the line, or cover for their buddies. They question things and ALWAYS look for improvement. While I can come off as insulting and asshole-ish, that's all I'm doing in this thread, but too many of you people see that as some sort of a threat to your fake conservative sensibilities because for some reason you've equated questioning LE to being some sort of libtard snowflake.

Have you ever met or played for a REALLY good coach? Those guys are almost all fucking assholes who drive their players to success by always expecting more and never settling for "good enough". Sure, almost all of these shooting and whatever else we discuss in here are technically sound, as in, it's unlikely the cop will go to jail for it, but they can all be critiqued and learned from.

Throw in a healthy dose of "Don't Tread on Me" distrust of the government that I've developed as I've aged, because if and when the government comes to take away whatever rights you think you have, it'll be cops "just following orders" that do it, and you've got a real good handle on my views toward all of this.

10. Venom51

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we're back to the bullshit:dead:

12. Venom51

When you stop shoveling it we'll stop bringing it up.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What am I shoveling. What part of my last post was bullshit? Set aside your assumptions and answer honestly instead of trying to keep up the internet tough guy game.

jase likes this.
  14. G 97

G 97 Garth

Hind sight is 20/20

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Don't you have a cat to strangle?

16. Venom51

Your opinions on law enforcement tactics are opinions just like every one else's opinions. They are not superior, not more right than someone else's or more wrong than someone else's. What they are, in comparison to those actively in law enforcement, is under informed and taken from a position of little to no experience.

As long as you run around here believing, and loudly professing, that you are intellectually more capable of understanding the topic than those actively in law enforcement I will continue to poke you with internet bullshit.

Is that clearly enough for your superior intellect to grasp?

17. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

He's NOW arguing with other more consistent long standing ftp'ers than he ever was until his ex split on him. AND accusing them of being le supporters who are accepting of their foul ways.....lmao..... only in the Dungeon.

Ron, is it? You're having a mental "episode" dude..... save those potential millions in your future lavish retirement before you go into an even deeper state of mental illness..... let it go.....smdh.

I wonder how many of those PM's you're 'supposedly' receiving in support are from uber liberals on here.....lol..... you're one funny mental midget, that is for damn sure.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Fair enough, EXCEPT, there is profound difference between ground level LE and their administration and training staff. This is one of the HUGE problems with the field in general, and is extremely evident with our very own Blart. This is not some random shit I've pulled out of my ass. I picked this up from the (now retired) head of the MSHP training academy - literally the guy who was at one time responsible for how all of Missouri's state troopers were selected and trained. The guys "in the trenches" are too close, and are tainted by how screwed up the whole system is. They're obligated to have each other's backs and live in this "us vs them" world that skews their reality.

Police are ultimately public servants, and it would be foolish to allow them to set the terms of what we as citizens expect from them. There has to be outside oversight, otherwise you're letting the fox run the hen house. My opinions, your opinions, and the opinions of all the rest of us CITIZENS are absolutely important.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Dude, stop bringing my fucking ex wife into this shit. It only shows how dumb and un-original you actually are. She has/had absolutely nothing to do with my viewpoints - she isn't even a real cop. And drop the "mental" bullshit. Your schtick is so fucking old and tired it's not even remotely amusing or insulting - it's just sad.

jase likes this.
  20. Venom51

I didn't say they weren't but if I wanted to have an impact on the direction of the policing of citizens I would get into the field. You aren't going to have any impact on it by standing around yelling in from the outside. You can't seem to be bothered to do that so the only impact you'll have is coming across as a fantastical douchetard on the BBS by proclaiming you know how to do it better because of your supposed, but unsubstantiated, stratospheric IQ and the fact that you once spoke to State Patrol officer.