1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about a jeep...

Discussion in 'General' started by BrianC636, Jun 22, 2017.

1. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Congrats! Looks nice!

omatter34 likes this.
  2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

It's really nice to see like-minded people (bikes) enjoying another activity (Jeeps) that is also shared with this bike brotherhood. When two wheels become a thing of our youthful pasts, we can all sit around the fire tradin' stories.
    "Hey Haggard! Remember that time you almost got us all killed?"
    Ah, the cold winter nights will just fly by... :D

Cannoli and wsmc 589 like this.
  3. adrenalist

adrenalist Well-Known Member

I sold my c63 for a better oilfield vehicle, 4Runner, and have been flirting with the idea of acquiring a Jeep. I really like the AEV’s. They can stuff a hemi in the mofos....

https://forum.aev-conversions.com/f...aev-jk-wrangler-and-brute-double-cab-for-sale

Problem is the price is about the same as a slightly used G63. I don’t have to make a decision soon, as my truck is just fine for now, but when I jump it’ll likely be between either a new AEV or used G63. I absolutely love both.

4. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I anyone wants a spare tire cover for a JL, has a hole for the backup camera, with a 33 inch tire, it's yours for the cost of shipping. Made up something for the wife's jeep and the first time they printed it the quality wasn't that great. They made another one with some updated art and the wife is happy now.

Attached Files:

5. fastfreddie

Winter, '13-'14...$80K+, new.
    IMG_0677.JPG
    Jeep is finally releasing their version in 2020, based on the JL. I seriously doubt it could compete with an AEV.
    Check our YouTube thread for a vid. The little bit I watched was painful. After they mentioned the KTMs in the back, I struggled to watch much more. Shortly thereafter, I just bailed. Don't need to be even more disappointed at the direction Fiat has taken this iconic American brand.
    Jeep's have always had fold-down windshields. I absolutely see no need to pay for that when they have a "sport cage". This truck :)rolleyes:) takes that idiocy to a new level by having the sportcage back right up to the windshield. Why continue with this feature? What other dumb shit is included? I swear, they're just sellin' flashy knobs and shiny buttons that, I don't know, why even bother? And the dash looks like it came out of some wannabe hip, cheap-ass, Euro econocar. Oh, right...Fiat.

adrenalist likes this.
  6. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Not sure if I agree. To me Jeep made a cool truck version of a latest Wrangler. Once they are a few years old and kinks are sorted out, I would wait another two years and buy one used. I like it.

alan likes this.
  7. fastfreddie

WTH? :crackup:

8. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

$80k+?!?! For that?!?!?!

If I’m dropping that kinda $$$,it’s gonna pull 3 of those, plus hold one in the bed and say HD somewhere in its name.

9. fastfreddie

The AEV? Yes. Actually $77K, but "out the door" takes it into ludicrous. Prior to gettin' out the door, it's just obscene. :D
    (The whole reason to buy the least optioned and featured Jeep is so you can put that hype money exactly where you want it with exactly what you want.) You can option a 6.4 Hemi in the AEV, this one has the 3.6 with an auto.

I'm thinking Jeep's "truck" shouldn't be more than $1K-$2K over a comparably equipped 4 dr, but I'm sure the hype will add at least another $5K-$10K during its initial release. It's just a stretched 4dr with a box...nothing truck or special about it. It's already a joke on WERA-esque Jeep forums.

adrenalist and Funkm05 like this.
  10. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

It actually is a longer cab then on the four door.

It also has strengthed axles over a Rubicon so it can handle towing.

So it's not "just" an unlimited with a bed on it.

11. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

When I can get a very slightly used 2017 Sierra Denali 2500 HD for $52k, it had better be able to do a hell of a lot better than “handle towing” for $80k+.

12. fastfreddie

Hence the term "stretched".
    I wouldn't call an upgraded D44 anything special, and 7600lb towing is "just" SUV territory.

crashman likes this.
  13. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

80K for the AEV version with a hemi. Doubt the Jeep will cost that much.

14. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Never said the upgraded axle was special, but it's also not "just" a stretched 4 door either.

15. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Where are you getting 80k msrp from?

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Did you notice that even if you go with the big Femi AEV does not do anything with the differentials? It is a good differential for most applications but I am not sure the Dana 44 would be my choice if I was going to put in a big motor and big tires to go wheeling. But I guess most of those will be mall crawlers for people with lotsa money or else very lightly used so it won't matter.

17. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

What other option is there? Given the longer wheel base, it isn’t going to be a great off-roader.

18. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

The JK44’s are significantly stronger than the TJ’s 44’s. However for serious wheeling, and with the added weight of that hemi I’d be going chromoly axle shafts at least.

LS is still the way to go but I might be slightly biased lol....

19. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Where is 80K price tag coming from?

Most expensive Wrangler now is MOAB at 50K, Rubicon is 40K list price. I don't see the new truck go past 50K at most. I would buy one for 25K used once the novelty factor dies down.

20. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

If I was building something like that I would probably hang 60's under it so that it could do what the company infers that it can. Jeeps have kinda turned in to big heavy pigs so when you couple the weight of the vehicle with big tires and a bunch more power you are just begging to find the weakest link. For the price AEV are asking and the way they are marketing their stuff I would expect something more than stock diffs with possibly upgraded axle shafts. But I agree, they would not be great offroad. I do think that alot of peoples idea of "serious offroading" is alot different than mine. The only way I would take an $80k vehicle out to do serious offroading is if I was sponsored...

I actually prefer the low RPM performance that an I6 gives for crawling. But ya, if you are going to do an engine swap the Chevy stuff is alot cheaper than the Mopar stuff and works just as well. I will give Chrysler credit though. They have marketed the shit out of the "Hemi" name and have sold alot of vehicles with that motor just because of the reputation of the old school Hemi's.