1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weed

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Oct 10, 2018.

1. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Related, yet slightly off topic.....

I'm a Canadian who travels to the US on average 8-10 times a year - racing, track days, holidays, en route to Mexico, and for work - my companies head office is there.

As of recently (since Canada said we are legalizing it), and even though it's legal in WA State which is where I normally cross over from BC, the US border agents (Federal) have ramped up scrutiny, so...

- if you work in the industry and admit it at the border - automatic lifetime ban from the US.
    - if you have investments related to the cannabis industry - automatic lifetime ban from the US.
    - if you have EVER tried it personally, yup, automatic lifetime ban from the US.

I can't seem to rationalize the thought process here and what exactly the upside is? Turn away thousands of International tourists, business people, and cash cows spending dollars in your cities all because they build filtration systems that cannabis and practically all plant growers use (happened 2 months ago with 2 business owners trying to fly to Colorado for a trade show), because they own stocks in legal cannabis companies that their fund manager has grouped in with other venture businesses (too numerous to count recently), and of course just your average regular citizen who may be a pot head or, be like my wife - tried it once 18 years ago but can't/won't lie so she refuses to attempt to cross over for fear of receiving a lifetime ban.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

See how stupid this is...people from Canada think it's stupid. They've just been too nice to say so until now.

scottn, younglion and kangasj like this.
  3. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

Well, he is Canadian.

younglion likes this.
  4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Not every problem can be solved.

5. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

You know that it's already legal for tens of millions of people in this country. For anyone worrying about what could happen if people could legally smoke weed, the last few years of the world not coming to an end in those states should put your concerns to rest.

Metalhead likes this.
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

[QUOT
    which statutue are the Border Agents using to institute the "lifetime bans" ??

7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Well, the G'ment doesn't let us go as fast as we want on the street, do they? Who are they to tell me I can't ride my MC on national park land? The issue is...Is there a negative for our society from unbridled pot use? I think there is....I came of age in the 60's...I speak from experience.

8. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Should we just ignore the lifetime ban that Canada puts on US Citizens with a DUI on their record?

Until something changes, it is still illegal under federal law. Why should they allow “criminals” into the country that have no “right” to be here? While I agree it’s a minor, stupid thing in the case of mj ... it’s still illegal. Should we also welcome in the drug traffickers from the South?

9. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Guns kill people, we should ban them too right? Funny how some of you only believe in Freedom when it suits your cause.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

With this prohibition, we effectively are welcoming drug traffickers from the south. WOD creates the environment that allows them to flourish.

SnacktimeKC likes this.
  11. cpettit

It is just completely stupid. We can invest in the industry here in the states even where it is still illegal. I just bought a few thousand worth of weed stocks last month and they haven't exiled me from the country. Why should we care?

The DUi thing is kind of stupid too. I go to Canada frequently and no one has ever stopped me at the border because of it or even asked about it.......... Not that i'd tell them if they did.

12. Motofun352

Reading is fundamental....at least for some of us. I didn't say ban MJ, only regulate it and discourage its use. It is, by and large, not a good thing for our youth or us, either. Neither is smoking or booze, for that matter. Both of which get various forms of discouragement.

StaccatoFan and wmhjr like this.
  13. cpettit

So you are for government intervention in our personal lives? Got it.

14. Motofun352

What's the alternative? It's called anarchy. Also, just to be realistic, Who here thinks that no government is a good thing? I'm for limited government. A lot less than we have now, for sure. It still doesn't mean that there aren't some (actually many) things that we need in order to have a functioning society.
    Just to be clear...there are few things that are truly personal. Want to jerk off in your bathroom? Go for it...none of my business. Want to do that in public? We got a problem.

15. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

If you want to legalize pot, here's what you have to do first:

Come up with a test for stoned driving, with legal limits, just like alcohol. Test must be easy to administer, just like a breathalyzer.

Personally, I don't care what drugs you do, as long as nobody else gets hurt.

BigBird, Gorilla George and Funkm05 like this.
  16. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

One thing people fail to consider when saying how everyone will be an addict is there was a time when stuff was all legal in this country. Yes there was opium dens etc. but overall the problem was probably what it is now. Except there was no huge profit for organized crime (some for opium runs yes) nor the police actions necessary for the war on drugs that infringe on freedoms and peoples opinion of the police.

The above is an over simplification but there is data on what might happen that is better than a guess.

17. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Let me know when drug use is specifically called out in that inalienable Bill of Rights thing. Then we can discuss how good this argument is.

18. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

While I don't disagree that driving impaired in any way is an issue - there is a large percentage of the country popping whatever pharmaceuticals and driving around daily.

Not directed at you, but I'm always shocked by how accepting, unquestioning (and giving) many people are of pharmaceuticals while being vehemently anti drugs. Weed requires police and jails but super quick to share their ambien with anyone who suggests they didn't sleep well last night.

19. cpettit

Freedom is freedom. Fuck what some piece of paper says.

20. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Exactly.

I know there are a lot of guys in here that want to get high without restriction. I don't care how f'd up you get. But that zeal covers your eyes with the most beautiful rose colored glasses.

Agreed. All are complex problems for which there are no easy answers. The point that I have always tried to make is that vast swaths of humanity have no sense of personal responsibility. Your freedom ends where it fucks with me. Now how that translates in to regulating, I do not know.