Can we agree to remove the super from Superstock?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jared, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

100% agree, but still...the fast guys will always be faster. Case in point: my R3's made 39 hp on pump and 42 with MR12 with full exhaust, PC tuned by a pro. I'd be pretty shocked if there was another 4 HP to be had by milling head and cam timing. Parrish was routinely 5-6 seconds/lap faster than me, but the few times I got near him he was not pulling me on the straights a bit, and I weigh probably 20-30 lbs more than him. For cost savings alone, I would love to see a "stock" class that was much closer to showroom stock, but have no illusions that the finishing order would change.

rcarson15 likes this.
  2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Data systems would break a lot of hearts just like transponders did if they were on every bike.

3. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

You mean GoPro lap times aren’t legit!?!?

4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

A big problem with that, is the ability to enforce those rules. Are you volunteering to do post race inspections? How do you verify the fuels? Testing isnt cheap of easy, thusly why it's not restricted other than the nitromethane/alcohol, etc.

418 likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No one is forcing you to spend that money. There are riders who can and do go win our races on stock bikes on pump gas.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And what would it do? No one is dominating our races because they have builds like that.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because no one is forcing you to do those things or spend that money - all of that crap being a necessity is your end and not on the racetrack.

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I could have machined all I wanted on the Viffer….Ned Bob would have whipped my ass every time he showed up on that raggedy dirty bike. That's just the reality.

speedluvn likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Lee Acree is a perfect example of this. He was so much faster at the end of the straights that every single other rider in the paddock though his bike was illegal. So they banded together and paid the 500 and it was torn down. To find out it was totally legal and even worn out some.... He came from riding a 250 and was just carrying that much corner speed and on the gas that much sooner it looked like a power advantage.

I do find it funny too the majority of the truly pissed people about supposed cheaters tend to be the ones cheating and still getting beat so the other guy must be cheating :crackup:

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You're correct - if you're on a 1k for example and racing Geoff or Stefano then you need to have your shit as right as it can be. But until you're at that level your riding is holding you back, not the bike build. There is no rider that talented running the small bike stuff right now other than maybe X.

Cajun Kid and rcarson15 like this.
  11. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

"Stock"

Never heard of her.

12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

This thread should have your damn picture on the first post :crackup:

Gorilla George and Cajun Kid like this.
  13. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Last year at GNF, I rode a bone stock EBR. Literally, bone stock. Motor, suspension and brakes were all OEM and I used 90 octane pump gas. The only changes to the bike was a quick shifter, SBS brake pads and HMF slip-on. Basically a street bike with about 20 less horsepower than most of the other bikes. I did a 1.33.9 in the F1 race. I started 8th, was as high as 6th, and finished 7th out of 23 racers (17 Experts) and was only around 3 seconds behind two fast guys on 1000s. First race weekend of this year at Tally, I did a 1.02 in the rain. I finished second to a bike with all kinds of money in it, including carbon fiber wheels, by .062 seconds.

I have learned more about riding in the little time I have ridden this bike bone stock than all the other decked out racebikes I've ridden. Until I am racing at the front of the pack, I will never again waste money on MR12. In the end, my lack of speed is all mental. Nothing to do with the bike. Every current bike that I can buy off the showroom floor, is capable of going faster, bone stock, than I can ride it with all types of mods. Plain and simple.

And who gave me the idea to ride my bike stock......Thermosman. All the money I have spent with him on suspension in my previous bikes, the best advice he has given me, was free.

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

maybe you mean "in stock"??? :D

Its built from components my wrench had in stock! :D

15. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

FWIW,Jared catches up to SV's on his 300 and stays ahead of them once he gets around them................jus' sayin':beer:

16. aaronson

aaronson Well-Known Member

Way back in 1987 WERA superstock rules were quite strict . I believe only the brake pads and suspension could be changed . Stock exhaust had to be kept on the bike also. I think even if you tried to do some motor work . It wouldn't work with a stock pipe right ?

17. joec

joec brace yourself

If you really want to know how slow you are, and how fast your bike actually is, give it to someone consistently faster than you. That's all the data you need. Cretu rode my bike several years ago and beat the entire field by 45secs with one round of practice.

He came in and said, "it feels pretty good, the brake seems scary but its surorisingly good, I could have definitely give faster."

I never ran those lap times on my own dammed bike. Lol

18. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Yes, and when Lee raced someone with Lee-like skills(or more likely less skills) and their bike pulled away down a straight like his was tied to the proverbial stump, his eyebrows raised.

None of the fast guys ever strived for less power for the sake of having to ride harder to finish -one- spot further ahead.

In that regard, the pointy end fast guys -need- the extra power and mods less than the slow guys.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2018
  19. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

You are thinking of the old Production classes. Stock exhaust, very limited motorwork (although I think you could do an overbore for "maintenance") and very few other changes. The races sounded completely different because the cam and drive chain noise was louder than the exhaust noise. Theoretically a stock exhaust made other engine work in ineffective, but there was the same issues of building to the limits, what fuel to run etc.. Policing it was just as much of a problem then as it is now (there used to be more protests though).

As others have said, pointy end experts need to build and run the fast gas, others should save their money (spend it on tires and race entries).

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed - but it's still the same point, until you get to that level you don't need to waste money on more power. Put it into riding more and training more. Decent to good suspension to handle the demands of racing I think is a good investment. Other than that, ride more.