Teachers pay

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Repo Man 32, Apr 3, 2018.

1. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Perhaps it's my old age, but I don't recall another time in our history where people marched to have their constitutional rights taken away. YMMV

DrA5 likes this.
  2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

We see those kids on the news, remember?

DrA5 likes this.
  3. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Depends on what they’re mastering. Kaczynski mastered mathematics pretty well.

4. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

That’s a fine thing if he doesn’t negatively impact others. But don’t come out of home schooling thinking you’re the unique snowflake that knows how to fix the world and then be shocked when the real world smacks you in the face. Too many of these kids are shielded from real world situations and existence, and are nauseated when they deal with real life strife.

They’re not BAD kids... just clueless.

5. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

How much paid vacation time do you get from your employer (assuming you don’t work for yourself)?

Two weeks? Three? What if you wanted to take a weekend to go racing, and it was MLK weekend, and you needed Friday off to travel. You want to use a vacation day but the boss said you couldn’t have it. What if you wanted to take a week in early September to go to Cabo, or the week of Thanksgiving to visit family eight states away, but you’d have to take it without pay because your boss said so?

And it’s two months for summer, not three (July and August is two months).

6. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

I don’t expect my kids’ teachers to instruct my spawn how to act and think in society. I expect my kids to interact with society and form their own way of navigating through social situations, struggles, politics, etc. by experiencing society in it’s totality.

I expect their teachers to teach them information. It’s MY job to make them good humans and guide them as life dictates. In short, I am their consigliere in life.

7. G 97

G 97 Garth

Again for the umpteenth time. How is this any different than most jobs. Except from only working from 9am-3:30pm, five days a week while not being held accountable towards achieving any level of performance?

Why do teachers feel that they are any different when it comes to requesting to take vacation days?

:crackup:There isn’t any teachers taking any amount of vacation with out pay.

June,July,August is three months.

8. G 97

G 97 Garth

Home schooling can’t be any worse then most of the craptastic public schools. Public schools aren’t exactly turning out well rounded kids who don’t feel entitled and that aren’t also shielded. Way more snowflakes are created from the current public school environment than by being home schooled.

9. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

What point are you trying to make? You just described exactly what every private sector job I've ever had is like.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  10. G 97

G 97 Garth

What you expect and what is actually transpiring is far apart. If you don’t think that public schools have a certain agenda towards indoctrination then you are not paying attention.

11. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

1- she is evaluated yearly and gets a rating based on her evaluations

2- she doesn’t REQUEST vacation days - she is TOLD when she can take it

3- she has had to take time off without pay due to timing of day(s) requested off

4 - her year ends last week of June and starts week before Labor Day. Therefore, July + August = 2 months.

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

1. Being evaluated happens at every job. Having performance and results linked to pay doesn’t exist in public education. Having a rating is useless unless it’s correlated to pay.

2. You act like she doesn’t get vacation. A lot of jobs have periods of no vacation time permitted.

3. If she is salaried she doesn’t lose any pay. Are you stating she is hourly. But wait, you said she is told when to take vacation, so how can she request days? In any event, a lot of workers have to take time off with no pay.

4. Who else gets two full months off in summer then bitches about not being paid enough.

badmoon692008 and DrA5 like this.
  13. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Then specific dates of when you get to use your vacation benefits has always been dictated to you? No choice in those dates?

14. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Did you actually read what you wrote, I quoted and then responded to?

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yes. I can’t take time off between Xmas and new year even thou the office is closed and factories are shut down.
    Certain times like planting season and harvesting season is manadotory work as well. All dictated. All mandated.

16. G 97

G 97 Garth

WUT

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depending on the job - absolutely. Even as much freedom as I have in my current job there are set days where calling in sick isn't even an option.

sheepofblue likes this.
  18. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

This is an exemplar of why I said I would not engage in this discussion. What is not just opinion is just wrong on an absolute level.

19. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

What is funny is the student athletes I have contact with on a daily basis here in East Central Wisconsin are quite conservative, have a good solid foundation of ethics, morals, code of conduct, common sense, and come across as normal. They do not mirror the national image you see of the clueless high schooler or college student that feel the need to shut down any conversations about sensitive topics and fumble around with either double standards or gibberish word soup when challenged. So, at least around here, the future does not look as dim as it does on the national front with what we are seeing from most of the media as a representation of Gen Z/Millennials.

20. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Probably because the student athletes you see are engaged in competitive sports, and not lettering in intramural whining and sniveling. :D

badmoon692008 and DrA5 like this.