1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teachers pay

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Repo Man 32, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

No more impressive than the level of academic ineptitude exhibited by those in public school.

What really mattes? Socialization or content mastery?

2. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Given the behavior of many people in society weird is not necessarily bad. Further I would propose to you that many if not most home schooled kids are scholastically advanced. If that is in fact true do not compare them to the 'average' student attending a school compare them to their equivalent the upper tier kids. In that case the delta of 'weird' likely is smaller than you think. Further is 'weird' unhappy? If the 'weird' kid lives a life that does not negatively impact others and is content is that not a good thing? Most sociopaths are likeable but dangerous to others in comparison.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Both. And homeschoolers being able to take tests better proves nothing.

4. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Socialization matters more IMO. Content mastery can come with time, socialization is a time sensitive issue. You need the right mix of charisma and knowledge to really succeed, but push comes to shove, I see charisma "win" pretty consistently in life.

5. intrcptrrdr

intrcptrrdr Well-Known Member

Gawddamm am I glad my kid goes to a private school.

sheepofblue likes this.
  6. Fonda Dix

Tell that to the college admissions people. They sort of have a timeline.

Maybe I did it wrong but I have focused way more on producing a (possibly socially awkward) high quality candidate for the Air Force Academy versus producing the coolest, most highly socialized junior college flunky protesting on the quad. YMMV.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

But your reasoning is faulty. Involved parents of kids who go to real schools still wind up with well educated and socialized kids.

8. Chino52405

You are not wrong at all about college admissions especially at the most competitive levels. I also believe every kid will develop differently even with the same structure, so getting where you both are has likely been a give and take. I hope your kid kicks ass in the USAF and grows through any awkwardness if it exists. I'm also not talking about social status or coolness being the measure, I mean having the ability to read individuals and groups and navigate within life. No different than having the best racing skills in the world and having absolutely zero marketability.

9. G 97

G 97 Garth

Again how is this any relatively different then most jobs? Other then getting paid off of the back of the taxpayers, why do you seem to think your situation is any more special?

I have to meet yearly, monthly and weekly goals. These are hard numbers. If I don’t meet them I’m subjected to getting terminated. If I don’t meet my numbers it affects my pay.

When you miss your numbers at the end of the year you get paid per usual and followed by three months of summer vacation.

10. Fonda Dix

Wouldn’t be the first time bro.

All I know is they couldn’t teach her basic prealgebra but I could. So I chose algebra over social skills.
    It did negatively impact her social skills which worries me but she can explain Bernoulli effect better than Lindbergh. :)

sheepofblue likes this.
  11. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Not true for most, you don`t have to attend a public school to be socialized.

12. Chino52405

Most homeschooled kids do get out of the house a couple times a week to go to church for science class :crackup:

13. G 97

G 97 Garth

Again, how is this any fundamentally different then most jobs. Other then getting three months off in the Summer.

cav115 likes this.
  14. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I know you are kidding but the reality is in Alabama that home schooled kids have to be in a group. So while the 'classes' can be one on one there are other events with your group. Oh and in this town you might have someone in the group with a PHD in math, physics or engineering to teach some subjects that you cannot. Or like the arsenal worker I had in college that was a part time instructor that went with Nixon to China on trip one to teach government.

The flip side to that is if your parent wants to give you a crap education, that is also still available just like many public schools. Like all things in a free society there are pluses and minuses and you need to optimize for your goals. Of course in a progressive world you get what you are told. Which in utopia is awesome, in reality not so much. Venezuela for instance.....

15. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Versus the level of indoctrination that we are seeing in young sheeple of today that affect their personality to the point they can't hold a discussion without just reciting bumper sticker slogans, fail to under history or civics in context and cannot critically think?

16. G 97

G 97 Garth

Doing a bang up job for sure. LOL.
    Any other industry would have already imploaded under their own continued incompetence but not the tax payer supported public education industry. The only solution they present to make things better is mo money, mo money, mo money and less accountability for achieving actual positive results.

Then they bitch about having to actually work. :crackup:

17. speeddaddy

speeddaddy Well-Known Member

Read a book about Summerhill School. Interesting read, school for kids who couldn’t get along in traditional system, lost causes.Came and went as they pleased, studied whatever they wanted. Took some a couple years to even go to class but when they finally studied it was cause they wanted to, and they became successful, doctors and such.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Meh, the sheep did the same when we went to school. That'll never change.

19. Chino52405

You should significantly expand the number and type of people you interact with.

20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Civics? I don't think that's been taught in decades.