1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teachers pay

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Repo Man 32, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Repo Man 32

Repo Man 32 Lifetime Member

Mmmmkay; they work 9 months a year, get a week off at Christmas and another at Easter, get MLK day off, Flag day, etc...

Then bitch about how much money they make a “year” ....

Do the math and us year round workers put in about 600 more hours a year, and get paid for it.

Discuss.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

First off this is about the vast majority not those in really rural places that definitely have issues (like one goofy ass racer running a school in the backwoods of Alaska) - I like the bitching when their starting pay is more than I make for way less hours worked per year. And the whole thing about classroom supplies is BS too, they have supplies but prefer to decorate their room differently or do things the school doesn't provide, that's a choice not a need.

Saw some idjit the other day from OK saying she has to drive 40 miles to go across the state line to earn 10k more - seriously? Too damn stupid to be a teacher if she can't figure out between fuel, wear and tear, and a couple hours a day cost more than the 10k extra she makes.

Then toss in the retirement packages like most government employees. It's nuts and they make good money.

And then there is the new huge class of administrators being paid a shit ton at colleges to do absolutely nothing....

3. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Utah has an online system where you can look up how much any teacher (or any other public employee) makes. That way when they start complaining, it is easy to point out how their salary is not what they claim, let alone the overall working hours per year.

4. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Well if it’s so fucking great why don’t the two of you go back to school, get your teaching degrees, and then lead the life of leisure as a teacher? You get pissed off when adults on this forums call you an asshole, what are you going to do when a 10 year old kid tells you to fuck off?

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd do the same thing I do when supposed adults do it - I'd laugh at them. And then punish within whatever the rules allow.

As for changing careers, I like what I do. I'm not complaining about my job. I'm not going on strike so my union can demand more money. I'm not constantly whining about my hours or what I spend of my own money to decorate my office or haul my gear to the track or the computers I've bought because my company can't justify the expense.

Any other questions? ;)

cav115 likes this.
  6. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

upload_2018-4-3_18-16-36.png

So what is managing and teaching your disinterested, often hostile, sometimes violent crotch fruit worth?

Attached Files:

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If they're hostile or violent then paddle the little fucks. If they're disinterested learn to do your job better.

cav115 and Repo Man 32 like this.
  8. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

Lol

Give me a break. The teachers know the pay going in and if they didn't research it before spending a minimim of 4 years and untold thousands they're prob not smart enough to be teachers.

I don't have a gripe necessarily against teachers , but I get tired of their holier than thou attitude about a situation they helped create.

They've willingly taken on more then just teaching for going on 40 years.

Just fucking teach. Be honest , more money isn't fixing shit in the educational establishment.

Private catholic schools in inner cities regularly have better results with less money.

Public education in this country needs "blown up" it's everything but an educational establishment any more .

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    brex likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Exactly. It's not the job and there are some truly amazing people who do it and work their asses off at it. It's the attitude - well, more it's the crap spewed by the unions as a bargaining tool that has turned into facts int the mind of the public and media.

knutz likes this.
  10. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I don't care what the job is, if you don't like it, do something else. I'll never understand complaining about an occupation that you chose.

tony 340, TX Joose and brex like this.
  11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:stupid:

K51000 likes this.
  12. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I see both sides alittle. While I agree they know the money going in. I will say not every one is cut out to be a teacher. Also I do believe a good teacher can really change a kids life around and we need more good teachers. On the other hand, they choose not to work year round. Alot of them could go get summer jobs, there vacation and leave time is ridiculous. My bosses wife is a teacher and she gets 16 weeks off paid!

So, lets not sit here and say there being abused. While I am all for the teachers making good money, lets keep it real here.

13. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I WAS a teacher, good at it too, coach, etc. ~ 7 yrs.
    Went back to school to be the Medical Provider I am now. -24yrs +
    More money, more work, ? was it worth it?

14. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Nope. Teachers definitely aren't abused or have to deal with anything ever.

Married to a teacher, so actually have an idea of what goes on. So stand back snowflakes, your gonna get a bit of truth.

Starting time was 7am. Ending time was 4ish, but the only people who left then were those who came in at 5-6am. So stay after and clean the mess that your kids made and get things ready for tomorrow. Come home, relax and dinner. Spend 1-2 hrs grading or working on lesson plan. Weekends usually another 6 hours or so of grading and lesson prep. So actual hours worked more around 60/wk. Then there's summer school, which is a handful of weeks with the flunking kids giving them a last-chance to get their act together to make it to the next grade. Then you have 6 weeks off, maybe up to 8 weeks before it starts again, plus working on any summer assignments, working on curriculum adjustments, dealing with state tests, dealing with teacher license bureaucracy, and whatever else you need to get done before the school year starts.

Supplies were always limited. Most of the things in the supply closet were donated or found on the cheap. They had a cheap laminator, but you had to buy your own plastic for it, which isn't cheap. Copy machines were older used ones and had issues beyond simple paper jams that meant that at least 1 wasn't working. We spent our own money on supplies, around $1-2k every year. Some of that went to make the classroom look nice and not like a brick wall prison. Some of it went to buying file cabinets, and buying a replacement file cabinet after a student broke it, and buying a replacement heavy duty cabinet with a heavy duty locking bar on it that they haven't managed to break or break into yet so she doesn't have to worry about a student stealing her car keys again. Papers, pens, folders, organizers, notecards, it all adds up.

You are constantly interacting and policing the kids. You have to plan ahead for when you are going to go to the bathroom since you only have the few minutes between classes. Lunch break was a whole 10 minutes on average, and a few times a week spent with a kid on lunch detention, so it's not even a relaxing lunch break. The day is a solid 7-8 hours of nonstop work and interaction.

It is the opposite of the protection that the police have. If you so much as touch a kid, you are probably getting fired. Doesn't matter what the student does to you, you cannot retaliate in any way. Many schools have administrations that have no backbone and will not stand up for their staff or teachers. If a parent doesn't like you or their kid complains about you, your neck is on the chopping block, whether you actually did anything wrong or not. Add on top of it that your raise is dependent on your students, that you may or may not be able to control, doing well on a couple exams a year. Add on everyone demanding that teachers carry guns in case there is a school shooting so they can put their life on the line. Sorry, but from what I've seen, she doesn't have it in her to handle that situation and come out alive. If you do, great. Glad to hear you are going to quit your job and patrol the school hallways for us. We are thankful for your dedication.

Then there's the whole thing with getting into teaching. *YMMV depending on state laws, but this was what she had to do. 4 yrs undergrad, 1 year student teaching, 2 yrs masters degree, then 2 yr process of obtaining permanent teaching license for the state where you have to submit your lesson plans, videos of your classroom as you are teaching, have someone come in and evaluate you, write papers, take multiple teaching license exams. And if you move to a different state, you get to take all new teaching license exams and start that part of the process all over again, and you lose your pension for the state you were in. So start to finish it was 9 years before she had her full license, which is longer than it took me to complete my MSME. Some people manage to finish a PhD in that time.

Different places give average salaries for teachers, but those numbers are suspect sometimes, because they will lump administrators in there, who make at least double the actual average of the teachers wage. So you have to research into what numbers they are presenting. There are some schools where the teachers have a good starting salary, and some where its pretty close to McDonalds wages. But where's the anger about the administration making 6 figures and when they get fired, they get their contract paid in full, robbing even more money from the system.

If you seriously think that being a teacher is so great, then by all means go and become a teacher. Then you can work on and race bikes all summer long. Hopefully you find a nice school where the students are mostly behaved and you don't have to worry about working long hours after school, or dealing with fights and drugs, or having to control a class of 30 unruly kids, or getting robbed at gunpoint.

But this whole thing where "if they don't like it they should quit and do something else", well, what if a lot of them do? Who's going to babysit your snotball kid and teach him not to drool on themselves? Maybe the Chinese will start buying our schools too. They already started buying some colleges. Or you can always home school your kid, then get a job over the summer.

Yes, private schools do better. Because they are private schools. Kids are generally better behaved, though not always true. And the school can expel bad students. Where's a kid in public school going to go if they get expelled. Oh yeah, another public school.

TLDR: If it was as great as the media tells you it is, don't you think more people would be doing it? Why aren't you doing it? Oh yeah. Bad kids, bad administration, low pay, long hours after school and weekend, spending your own money on stuff.

15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

So I assume she hates her job. Why doesn't she do something else?

badmoon692008 and cav115 like this.
  16. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Cry me a river. The pay and shit job aren't a secret going in. Don't like it? Don't take the fucking job. Oh wait, it's your passion? Well it's many other people's passion too, that's why you get paid jack squat relative to the work. Equilibrium points are so simple even a teacher can understand them. Maybe.

badmoon692008 and cav115 like this.
  17. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

regardless of whether teaching is hard or easy, noble or lowly, energetic or lazy, I will never fault any person or group of people working towards raising their own wages and benefits. That is as American as apple pie.

jase and Lawn Dart like this.
  18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Please. Pretty please. Pretty please with sugar on top.

Life is tough, times are hard, fuck your NEA union card.

Considering the first thing my daughter's teacher did this year was CC every parent of students in her class and disclose everyone's email addresses, maybe it's not the snotball kids who are doing the drooling?

Good idea. The Chinese understand discipline. And they're smart enough to not go "zero tolerance" retarded over Pop-Tarts.

If I wasn't having to pay for the school system regardless, I could afford to.

Sounds like you've got the same bitch about public school as the rest of us. Welcome to the club, Chum.

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Sure is. In the private sector.

In the public sector, its graft and extortion.

brex and cav115 like this.
  20. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Okay. So 70% of the teachers quit, as you say they should, to get easier, better paying jobs. Your kids school now doesn't have any teachers. What do you do? What's the solution at that point? You already said you aren't willing to home school, so...what then? Pay the big bucks for private school? Move to China? Maybe that's the kick we need to rebuild the system from scratch, maybe it will be a complete disaster.

She doesn't hate her job. It's a hard job that she sucks it up and does it. Oh, and she's non-union. And she will have a decent pension at the end, but it's a significant chunk out of the paycheck that pays for that.

And yeah, I have a beef with bad administration, lazy teachers that I have met, bad parenting and attitudes about 'my child is an innocent angel', lack of discipline options in school and all those other school related issues. And teachers aren't the only peons in the public sector being left out in the cold.

I'm just point out that not all teachers work 30 hours a week and get 4 months of the year off. Yeah, some are lucky or lazy enough to do that, but it's not the majority.

And the pay is like any other field in the private sector. You want good teachers who are going to work hard and deal with the crap of teaching, offer a decent wage. I'm not going to get a good machinist to work for me for $30k a year, but $60k a year I can probably find a good one.