1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teachers pay

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Repo Man 32, Apr 3, 2018.

1. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Correct.

Welcome to real life.

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Wrong how. You have this notion that somehow teachers are required to perform extra duties and job requirements that are outside, above and beyond of what most jobs entail. You are unable to make any counter point other then to just wave your finger and tell us we are all wrong while offering absolutely no documentable counter points.

You also dismiss the fact that they get 2-3 months off over the summer.

Why is the current public educational system so messed up to begin with if not because it’ has in effect, been mismanaged. There is absolutely no performance based environment and it’s void of any accountability. Crappy teachers who serve themselves via tenure and backed by their union. Meanwhile the taxpayers continue to be fleeced while student after student graduate with out being prepared for college etc.
    Cha-Ching, cash the check.

But these are just my opinions. :rolleyes:

badmoon692008 and DrA5 like this.
  3. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to tell you this G97, but you have an old world, and uninformed, opinion of what the modern school teacher does while performing their profession. Ya gotta get past this "three month off, 9 to 3:30 idea. Every teacher that I know, and that's a few, get to school a full hour or more before their first class starts then stays a full hour or two after the last student leaves. After that they get to go home, grade papers, and study up on the next days curriculum.
    Then, after the school year ends they get to relax for, gosh, a couple of weeks or so before starting their continuing education in order to keep current on their requirements with the state teachers licensing people. There is no way in hell I would take such a job. I enjoy my time off far to much to subject myself to that.

4. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Jesus ... you retired in 1492 after getting Columbus here. I doubt you’d take ANY job at this point, Methuselah. :Poke:

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

And once again, how is this different than most other jobs?

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Perhaps things are very different in different locations? When I was on the school board we had a VERY different perspective. We needed several teachers to man the bus loading/unloading process in the morning and afternoon. 15 minutes maximum (very small school). Major issue, major push back from the union. How dare we ask the teachers to work beyond the school hours! So pardon me if I tend to be a little skeptical when I hear the teachers prattle on about how they are just there for the little children.

sheepofblue likes this.
  7. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Let me make sure I understand this issue. You are surprised that employees are concerned when management is requiring them to work extra hours outside of their agreed upon contract for no additional pay? So if your boss says that they have increased your hours for no additional pay and it is mandatory, you are OK with that?
    Your excuse for an illegal labor practice is "we needed several teachers..." . That is the weakest argument for abuse of employees I have ever heard, and then people complain about the mismanagement of schools. I guess we could look at a school board in this case that exceeded its authority, again. School boards, by law, may only set policy, not manage employees, other than the superintendent.
    Here is how I dealt with this exact situation this year. I got together with my Parent Advisory Committee and we looked at the problem. They wanted me to designate employees' time that I didn't have and I told them I wouldn't. I reminded them that they could not dictate employee time for me. Then they decided that if I would support them that they would get parent volunteers to do the duty. We agreed that I would get handheld radios for the volunteers and I and several other employees would monitor the radios during that time and be available if they needed anything. It has been working very well, due to cooperation and collaboration looking for solutions and outcomes rather than blame. What a concept!!!

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

We had the exact same problem. No way were they going to watch kids get on the bus and leave 15 minutes later.

9. In Your Corner

Oddly, when I was a salaried employee I had no say over when I started or ended my day. It really isn't unusual when you don't work for the government.
    And government workers shouldn't have unions in the first place, it's unethical. It creates an automatic quid pro quo relationship between the union and politicians to the detriment of the taxpayers.

badmoon692008 and G 97 like this.
  10. G 97

G 97 Garth

It’s called an exempt employee and happens in the private sector work force every day at about every private business. It’s the norm to be asked to put in additional hours, it happens all the time.

Once again teachers bitching about a situation that happens all the time outside of public education. Welcome to the real world.

And once again it’s the taxpayers taking up the slack for teachers who are so eager to tell us all just how dedicated they are and just how much extra work they put in on their own time but when it comes time to do it the system seeks out volunteers because the teachers are unwilling to,actually do,what they are always telling us they do. What a concept indeed.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    badmoon692008 likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have no set hours and do a shit ton of work from the house before 8am and after 5pm.

12. kenessex

Sounds like you should negotiate a better contract with your boss.:crackup:

crashman likes this.
  13. kenessex

Since we have been playing questions and answers here, What is your experience with being in a K-12 education system other than as a student? Have you worked in education? Are you a parent of a K-12 student? Do you volunteer in your local school? Are you a member of your local school board or do you attend the public meetings? Have you made an appointment and visited with you local school administrator or superintendent?

I mostly want to know your first hand knowledge base so we can have an informed discussion. Otherwise, I am left guessing if you know anything because based on your posts, you have no real knowledge and are left struggling to make arguments from a strong position of ignorance. I see that you have generally failed to grasp the differences between teachers having a negotiated agreement and the private sector.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:D

15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Maybe he would not have to work so much outside of regular working hours if he did not spend so much time goofing off on the internet arguing with people...

:D

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

This is what gets me. If I understand correctly, the teachers get paid based on working x number of hours for x amount of dollars with set requirements for attending training, etc. There are no stipulations in the contracts stating that they will potentially have to work extra hours with no compensation is there? If not why would they work for free? I sure wouldn't. If I was going to throw rocks at anyone it would be the school boards. In my experience they are the ones guilty of setting up the game to allow for personnel mismanagement and have misplaced spending priorities. But it is easier to blame the people who are there just trying to earn a living.

I just find it kinda funny that there is a retired guy on disability and a farmer complaining about someone else getting something extra from the government...:Poke:

Chino52405 and Orvis like this.
  17. In Your Corner

That extra comes right out of my local taxes and thus I pay the bill, so I feel free to weigh in on it.

Paying for the schools is my largest monthly expense after my mortgage. Last year I paid $10.44 to the schools every single day. This year it will be more, though we lose 100 students a year from the system.
    I get a say.

18. kenessex

You already have a say. We have a representative governmental system and your elected school board members are your representatives. If you don't like how your schools are being run, either get your school board members to do their job or elect new members. Don't start trying to micro manage the system at the employee level, that is not your job or your right. Get it straight, you are not the direct supervisor of anybody!

crashman likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's part of the job! :D

crashman likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You don't get a school tax cut after you get old enough? Our property taxes will drop a lot next year since the boss in on the title of the house.