1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teachers pay

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Repo Man 32, Apr 3, 2018.

1. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I couldn't bring myself to read all of the BS that is posted in this thread. However, the sheer ignorance of many is proof that the education system doesn't work well. I have rarely seen so many inaccuracies, lies and bias displayed in one thread since the Durrani extravaganza.
    Surprisingly, I have been doing the school administration thing for a long time (I'll retire in 3 or 4 years) and know what I am talking about when it comes to teachers, teaching, school law and budgets. I am what you might call an expert. You guys are so wrong on so many things it isn't even funny. I, also am not bitching about my pay, number hours or days worked, but don't even begin to believe that I really get 2 months a year "off". I have so much to do during my summer, getting ready for the next school year I practically need a vacation from my summer. Still not complaining, but you guys have so few clues about education, that you should just STFU. Your ignorance is blinding. BTW, just note in the thread in general about an Alaskan adventure, if I can't find an assistant principal I will just have to do without one. How's that for too many administrators, I only have 1 assistant principal.

cpettit likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Your situation isn't normal though.

3. G 97

G 97 Garth

And this differs from most dedicated workers how? Be specific.

DrA5 and cav115 like this.
  4. G 97

G 97 Garth

Take a class, get an automatic pay raise.

Just like the real world. :crackup:

DrA5 likes this.
  5. G 97

G 97 Garth

Must be nice to have three months off to plan for next years work. How is this even possible in the real world. But congrats, you are getting yours. Hip hip for the taxpayers. Yeeeeeeeee

badmoon692008 likes this.
  6. chwolfe

chwolfe Well-Known Member

Please help us to correct our ignorance on this subject. After spending a "long time" administrating in the education system, why is that system in such disarray?

DrA5 likes this.
  7. kenessex

You might consider reading for comprehension. I said I don't even get 2 months off and I have to do work for the next school year during that time. Of course I get paid for doing my job, don't you? I am on salary, so my hours per day or hours per week don't count, I have a 220 day contract and a 12 or 16 hour day still counts as 1 day. So here is a little math problem for you; If somebody has a 220 day contract and works 5 days per week, how many weeks are left out of a 52 week year after the 220 days are taken out? After 20 years with a company how many weeks of vacation does a top level manager generally get? More or less than I do? Do they have to conduct interviews for new hires during their vacation time? Process purchase orders? Conduct professional development? Plan professional development? Those are all going to be part of my summer. So, again, don't make stupid, biased statements about things about which you know nothing and can't possibly understand.
    Like I said, you don't have a clue what really goes on in education.

cpettit likes this.
  8. kenessex

Nope, it would be a wasted effort as I would post fact and everybody that didn't like it would counter with opinion. It isn't worth my time or effort.

9. chwolfe

chwolfe Well-Known Member

What I heard from that was,"I'm right and everybody else is wrong because I said so." But I'm not disputing that you work in the public sector, I wanted to know what the problem was.

DrA5 likes this.
  10. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Why don't you post a grievance with your union? Oh wait, you're management. Most of these rants have been about the bargaining (that's a joke, son) unit.

11. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

So lets answer a few questions.

What is your pay?

Are you just a teacher?

What is your job title?

Did you or did you not move to take your now said position?

12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Right, because nobody has posted fact in here and you haven't countered with the predictable opinion.

DrA5 likes this.
  13. kenessex

OK, my pay is a matter of public record. I make about $105K.
    I am just the principal.
    Well, I wasn't born in Galena, AK, so I did move here at one point. I have been with this district for 7 years, but only 3 with my current title and responsibilities. I was in a different administrative position in this district.

Thanks for asking.

14. kenessex

Correct

15. kenessex

That is an essentially true assessment of what I said. The answer to what the problem is, is long involved and convoluted and will in fact require some opinion on my part. If anybody really wants a TL;DR, I can give it. But in very short it involves politics, culture, upbringing of children, bias, entitlement, martyrdom and money. Perceived value greed also play a substantial part not to mention unions, negotiated agreements, tenure and people who are not very good at their jobs. There are a lot of mediocre to poor teachers and administrators and parents out there. Trust me on this one I have had to work with them all.

turtlecreek likes this.
  16. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Sounds like you are agreeing with most of what was said in this thread then...............

G 97, brex and Funkm05 like this.
  17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

See, the funny thing is, in the "real" world substandard performance is either addressed or the business eventually fails. In the public sector (ie schools for example where failure is not perceived to be an option) substandard performance gets more money thrown at it in an inane attempt to "fix" the problem. No wonder many (most?) people are frustrated with the system.

G 97 likes this.
  18. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Home school is becoming popular..

19. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

My wife is a teacher, and a lot of the comments from those of you who are educators are spot on. Thank you for opening the curtain a bit for those who don't "get it" when it comes to what kind of time teachers put in outside the classroom, and outside the walls of the school.

Yes, The Wife gets a week off in February, and in April, and a week around Christmas time. Those of you who aren't educators, imagine if your employer dictated to you when you could have a week of vacation time? The week in February and April is nice, but try to travel anywhere during those peak travel times. We live in Syracuse... try flying to Florida, or anywhere south of the MDL for vacation. Triple the airfares. Hotels? Yup, book them a year in advance if you want to stay anywhere decent, and pay 2-4 times the off-season rates. She can't take the Friday off before Memorial Day weekend without a special dispensation from the Pope, and if she does, it's without pay. A week off in the middle of March or October to take a vacation with the family so it can be affordable? Also without pay. The only REAL time she gets off is July and August, and we spend most of my vacation time during those months. And the summers FLY by. I can count on one hand how many true vacations we've taken during the school year over the past 12 years. Yes, she works a lot at home - nights, weekends, during "vacation" weeks. This weekend she'll be working on report cards, so no time for family fun. And yes, she's doing more graduate work (not required) in whatever spare time she has to make herself a better educator for her students.

She loves her work. Does she bitch about her job? Who doesn't? Does she do it for the big salary? No. But she puts up with a lot of bullshit from both students and parents and she deserves every dollar she gets. Hell, I make twice what she makes, and I wouldn't do her job for what I make a year.

crashman likes this.
  20. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

And those kids are weird... the level of social ineptitude exhibited by those who are home-schooled is quite impressive.