1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not carrying Narcan

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Banditracer, Jul 8, 2017.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

You ultimately can't save those who don't want to be saved. Why should it be the responsibility of law enforcement to administer health services anyway. Let the medical peeps handle it as they are the trained professionals.

2. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Leave it to the Libs to figure out new ways to give tax payer monies away.....it's about the only thing they do successfully.

3. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

The ultimate question is what is the value of a life.

Narcan is about $40 a dose in small quantities, and can get down to nearly half that ~$25 in quantity.

The currently proposed Health Care Act is estimated to lead directly to more than 27,000 more deaths annually, at a cost saving of about $1100 per death.

Is someone's life worth $1100? Is it worth $40? Who decides?

Its not that we can't afford these costs, it's just that we are unwilling to pay.

Dits likes this.
  4. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

We. :rolleyes:

And don't even start with the CBO bullshit. How many predictions they made regarding the ACA had any semblance to reality?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

This is indeed the question. But to me if someone does not value their own life and is constantly putting their life in jeopardy by OD'ing, etc. why should I place any value on their life? I know some people that I would put myself in to deep debt if I thought it would save them but I also have a sister that I would probably not even dig for cushion change to try to save.

6. G 97

G 97 Garth

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

$19 trillion in debt says its way more than just being unwilling to pay for it. Unfortunately, society as a whole, can only do so much. There comes a time when constant interference and a continuation of using limited resources at the expense of others has to be accounted for. You should contribute more of your own dollars if you feel so strongly about the issue.

7. G 97

G 97 Garth

Zero Point Zero

8. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Around here,No. I have to buy 2 new epipens for the school nurse every year to have on hand for our Daughter. All the parents have to provide your own. It wasnt so bad when they were 50 bucks, but when the ACA kicked in and allowed mylan to monopolise and raise the cost the way they've done,its downright angering in a homocidal way.

9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

It's also bullshit that the kids can't keep the medications themselves, but rather have to turn them over to the fucking school.

10. britx303

In elementary school,ours could not carry it on her. Junior High/Middle school,yes. At least around here. I think thats mainly due to the fact in elementary school they stay in one main classroom or 2. Junior high they are all over the place,in case of emergency it could be that fine line of timing of saving them or not.

11. britx303

As far as EMT's or Police needing to carry narcan......fuck that! Druggies know what they are getting into and we shouldnt have to pay the bill for their fuck ups. Its none of your responsibilties to pay my medical bills if I crash in a race.I made that decision knowing the risk.So if any of you all saying we should cover druggies od'ing should put your money where your mouths are then and I will send you the next ER bill.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I think you also have to bring some in, I don't know for 100%. I do know they have some just in case.

In Your Corner likes this.
  13. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

What's with all the complaints about epipen? Don't like the price, buy a different brand.

14. britx303

Im guessing you arent that familiar with that part of the ACA process.Im going to keep this short. Your name goes into a database as someone who is a guaranteed buyer.This was lobbied by Mylan....accepted by the previous administration and subsequently put into play with the ACA.We were also not allowed to purchase the generic....which was also not to be FDA approved for a certain time period,although our allergists assured us it was the same exact thing,but with the new laws we werent allowed. Our epipens are still good,so we havent had to get new ones yet to see the newest phase of the process. It will be interesting to see what options we have soon though.......$600 plus for something thats supposedly no good quickly was old the first time around......and thats with insurance.

15. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

CVS sells 2 pack epinephrine auto injectors for $110 cash price.

16. britx303

This only just started.

17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

This is kinda my view. I'm can see saving somebody once but the article I linked to, sheriff said there's someone they've brought back 20 times ! FUCK THAT GUY or girl. If they don't give a shit about living why waste the time and effort to save them so they can OD again in a few days. No loss to society if they're gone.

18. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Did this guy overdose 20 times and need narcan each time? If he has his shit under controlish, I don't see how it's hurting anyone but him and his family for now. How long has he been on the stuff? If he's still functional he still has a chance to turn things around, usually these things lead to a nasty spiral eventually though. I do understand how addictive opiates are, I was taking Vicodin for a bit which is one of the less nasty versions and deliberately forced myself to take lower and lower dosages, and after I stopped taking it I craved it for a while but resisted. I can certainly understand how people get addicted to it and especially with chronic pain. Yet, letting yourself become addicted to it is a choice. Maybe it's the least bad option for a small group of people, when the only other viable choice might be eating a bullet. I do think the majority have other options. I don't think society should be enabling this behavior by giving every junkie an easy save each time they fuck up. Besides wasting police resources, this is why I oppose making law enforcement carry narcan. Let the emergency medical services handle it, that's their job. Then they can charge $20k for each service like they do everyone else.

It's easy to blame drug companies, but they're just providing the most effective product for the issue at hand. Though they and the medical community definitely do share responsibility for the degree to which they push the shit and make it available. There are pill mill clinics where you can get total BS prescriptions for the shit but they're allowed to operate with impunity. That's not a drug manufacturer's fault, the medical community, DEA, FDA and various alphabet soup agencies need to clean up their own houses.

Banditracer likes this.
  19. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

No, we make conscious choices to spend money on other priorities. We spend $57 Billion a year on defense. More than the next 5 nations in order combined. That is a choice. We could protect ourselves and not spend that much, freeing up a few Billion for domestic uses.

Even the Pentagon knows they are wasting over $1.25 Billion each year through already identified inefficiencies. The report was killed so that they would not have to lose any of their budget allocation.

We've also made the choice to spend more than we collect in revenue and taxes. That is also a conscious choice.

t500racer likes this.
  20. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

It's way more in depth than just how much a life is worth.

Have you ever spent significant time in one of these areas?

I have and continue to every time I go visit my grandmother who refuses to move from the area.

I grew up in Charleston WV. Where I lived is a community called Campbells Creek . Just outside of the city limits. It wasn't the epitome of middle class living in the 70s and 80s , but it was a decent working class neighborhood where people took care of what they could afford.
    Now it look like Beirut from the 80s. It's almost unbelievable what the place has turned in to.

I have plenty of old friends who fell or chose to go the drug route so don't act like I don't know anyone or haven't tried to help.

It's freakin pointless from my view. Education doesn't help. Who the fuck doesn't know it's not a smart move to put that damn needle in your arm?

Is it hopelessness?? Maybe , but then again while the area isn't an economic Mecca there are jobs.

I really don't know the answer but keeping them alive is fixing nothing. My granny's house is like a fortress now along with the few decent houses in the neighborhood. Hell I was there over the 4th and had to chase away a guy in the middle of the day who tried to push my motorcycle out of her carport!

Can't stop at a convienance store with out be approached and asked to buy something that's probably stolen or given some sob story while they beg for money. All the while they sorta look like those Ethiopians you use to see on TV they are so skinny. How the fuck do you even walk when your thighs and legs are smaller then my 110lb daughter's wrists?

My granny's neighbor is a coal miner and you aughta here some of his stories about being under ground and lights or ventilation go out because some druggy who can't work has the time to hike miles into he woods and try to steal wire. Or the old friend of mine who is currently serving fed time for cutting up railroad lines to try and sell for scrap.

Anyways....... go spend some time in one of those areas before you get all misty eyed and compassionate with other's time and money.