Thinking about a jeep...

Discussion in 'General' started by BrianC636, Jun 22, 2017.

1. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

I Wouldn't expect you to understand. But I'll try to help you comprehend.

You start running one ton axles and big wheels... 470 hp isn't that much.

Besides slow, underpowered vehicles are boring.

bleacht likes this.
  2. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Yup.

LS powered Jeeps are awesome.

wsmc 589 likes this.
  3. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

It's not my thing but that doesn't mean it's not fun or worth the time and effort.
    I just thought of all the small and lightweight cars that the LS3 would transform into an absolute dream to drive if say a Vette is not your thing.

4. wsmc 589

Well I do have other vehicles that are a dream to drive.

Now my jeep is a dream to drive finally! In all honesty. The 6L80 transmission in my Jeep is what I really love. I was able to keep the rev match down shift which is a blast when I hassling mustangs off the light lol....

5. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

But do they go off-road? This being a jeep thread, afterall. Besides, how is putting a more powerful engine into anything, a bad idea?

wsmc 589 likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I am with you on it being too much like a car. It makes it tough to just ignore it with the top down doors off and it's raining. My last TJ had nothing but a bikini top on it all summer, did have soft doors with windows if it got too bad or I took the boss somewhere. This one I'm a LOT less likely to do that with the gps built in and all of that :D

But, the room the 4 door has more than offsets it with the pups. Give and take.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I couldn't afford the 470/480 vette motor setup but looked at it some and a junkyard motor/trans along with a kit from Motech or the like would be very doable :D

8. wsmc 589

Motech did mine.

I've been mostly happy with their work.

Their kit is top notch. You would never know I had a vette motor in mine until I start it up.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can get the nephew to do the labor end and source the motor/trans. Should be pretty simple overall from what I've seen. Just spend a couple few days in Cincy doing it all.

Now to afford it....

Maybe I'll get lucky and the ticking I think is an exhaust leak will become terminal! :D

Maybe I'll also get lucky and Evelyne will never see this post :crackup:

10. wsmc 589

Tell her your doing it for better gas mileage!! She'll understand!

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

What kind of mileage are you getting with the Vette motor?

I get 14-15 mixed use now. Would take a long time even at 20 to pay off 8-9 grand :D

12. wsmc 589

Well I was getting 10 before with the 4.0 and a banks turbo.

Now I'm around 15-18.

Yep. Would never pay for itself but you can't put a price tag on happiness man!

13. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I like jeeps, but I would only own a CJ, and it would be a third or fourth vehicle.

If you go new(ish), leave it stock. My friend ruined his 2009 with 8" of lift and 36" swampers that made it obnoxiously loud at highway speeds. Plus the vague steering and horrible gas mileage... it will do more stock than you'll likely ask of it.

RRP likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah that's way too much. I'm at 33's with just a spacer lift and see no need for more - although maybe 35's when I need tires just cuz. Tires were great at first, current noise issues are all my own fault.

15. wsmc 589

8 inches of lift is ridiculous.

Besides you want as little as "lift" that you can get away with. It's really about clearance and articulation.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  16. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Hell, our stock Rubicon will go just about anywhere. Unless you are going to be doing stupid stuff tearing it up, you really don't need much more than this.

crashman likes this.
  17. Agree with this, bigger tires are the biggest thing that helps in rocks when aired down.

18. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Most people have no clue what these vehicles can go through. I went on some supposedly difficult trails close to me and was disappointed at how easy they were. Like I used to go more rugged places with a bone stock 79 F250 2 wheel drive when I was growing up easy. I have 35's on my old beater and am going to tire down to 33's when these are worn out just to improve the highway manners. There aren't a ton of trails that I would need more tire than that anyhow.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm thinking next set will be 35's just for looks but may go back to 33's after that if it's not what I want and more :D

Or I'll get cheap and 33's next set anyway which is much more likely :crackup:

20. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Stocks are basically 32s...255/75R17 and will be going with 285/70R17 when the stockers wear out. With a Rusty's 2" advanced lift with a little more tire, it'll go anywhere we'll go and then some. 35s DO look good though.