1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future of Healthcare

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Nov 13, 2016.

1. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Should have been this in the first place. We were better off before that shitty bill was shoved down our throats by the LWNs.
    Put up or shut up, they voted for a full repeal last year when they knew it would be vetoed. Now do what the people that elected you put you there to do, let's see if you have the balls to do it now.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Fix the over exposure to frivolous malpractice lawsuits, force up front cost of services pricing information, then the cost of care will come down and the insurance rates will follow. If you have to tell me how many calories are in my #2 combo meal then you should have to tell me up front what a procedure will cost.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Insurance (all kinds) is a cost with no actual care involved. Administrative costs related to the Affordable Care Act also add cost without care.

4. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

What about insurance companies' profits?....

5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Pay for your medical care out of pocket like a real man and insurance company profits aren't any of your concern. :Poke:

6. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

What about hospital profits?

Dern, just pointing out that they are 'costs' in every type of systems, be it private or public...

Please continue.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This would be a huge start. I still can't wrap my head around why the whole country doesn't have an issue with blindly accepting whatever the dr/nurse/hospital throws at you without even the slightest idea what it costs.

Boob jobs and LASIK should be the precedent for all medicine!

brex and pickled egg like this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

In what other system are you not given pricing up-front?

Hard to make informed choices when you're denied the information, no?

9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Cosmetic surgery, LASIK, veterinary care. You know the costs, you can shop around, it is pay up front. I would greatly prefer to do the same with general health care and keep an actual insurance policy on catastrophic, major medical coverage that I can decide what I want to cover and what I don't want to cover.

10. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

No, he didn't. A lot of insurance companies reimbursement rates are based on CMS rates. That's the dirty little secret that everybody wanting to just get insurance companies bashed, and move to a single payer system don't talk about.

crashman likes this.
  11. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

This. The end game of the ACA was socialized medicine. The shit sandwich that we see right now was just the deliberate fuckup that was supposed to make socialized medicine more palatable.

12. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Get back to me on that when you need extensive cancer treatment

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why would that matter?

14. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

It matters because I know very very few people who actually could afford the expense of a truly catastrophic medical condition. Saying just pay for what you use and get rid of insurance and everything else is bullshit. Thats truly is a "get sick? Die" solution. It's not either or. At a minimum we need to have some sort of solution (insurance or otherwise) for payment of catastrophic care. And a solution for those wanting better coverage - at a cost - to limit their out of pocket expenses.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And again - so what?

Get that sick and you die.

We do not "at a minimum" need any solution for it.

The only solution I want right now is to not be forced to piss away six thousand dollars a year on health insurance that is absolutely useless to me. I have no choice. Ambetter is making six thousand dollars from me for doing absolutely nothing in return.

16. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

So, nobody should be forcing you to do anything - and then nobody should be required to help you.

But for other people - like the overwhelming majority of this country who seem to strongly disagree with you - the "so what" is reality.

BTW, your statement that Ambetter is making six thousand dollars from you doing absolutely nothing is completely false. It is untrue. Period. They have assumed the liability of costs if anything DOES happen to you. I'm not saying it's a reasonable cost, or a good deal for you or for them. But it is untrue that they are doing nothing.

17. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

This is also untrue. The US has some of the very highest rates of cured serious medical conditions in the world. Maybe you'd like to just die if you needed heart surgery. Maybe others might like to live well for another 30 years. Your solution is that since the overwhelming majority of people don't have the cash to pay for such treatment, everybody dies. That's a bullshit solution to begin with because you and I know that it's not even remotely politically possible - much less morally right.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Be specific. I don't think others should pay for my chem if I don't have insurance. I do expect EMS if I'm in a crash as my taxes pay for it.

The overwhelming majority has cancer? Or they want insurance? I don't have any problem with them buying it. More power to them.

Since I can't afford the other 6 grand before they have to pay - they are doing nothing for me. Period. Not untrue, not false.

Not to mention they ARE doing nothing for me. They MAY do something in the future but for right now they aren't doing shit but collecting my money that I am being forced to pay them under the penalty of law. Lovely ain't it?

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh good lord pay attention. YOU are the one who was talking about forcing people to have insurance. Which is what I responded to. I was talking about people without insurance. I had no insurance for a long time, I knew getting sick and dying from it was a possibility. I didn't expect anyone else to bail me out.

20. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Also an illogical statement - questionable at best. If you're expecting EMS to take care of you in a crash (other than racing, where they have no responsibility unless you're privately paying) then in fact others are paying for your costs. Because your costs will be greater than what you pay in for THAT SERVICE in taxes. And in fact, if you choose to not have insurance, you are possibly forcing others to pay for your expenses.

No, the overwhelming majority find it unacceptable for people to not even have some sort of catastrophic coverage.

Absolutely and completely false. Utterly false. Totally false. They are right now legally on the hook for what could be millions of dollars in cost. They have legally assumed that liability. You can moan all you like about the first 6 grand. It may suck. But it is not an honest statement to say they do nothing. Not even remotely close.

Already proved that legally you are wrong.