1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future of Healthcare

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Nov 13, 2016.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Unrelated to the currently trending discussion, but I was thinking about this stuff the other day and wanted to point it out.

I've heard it said hundreds of times and seen it here repeatedly, that healthcare is a either a privilege or a service, not a right. While technically true, it doesn't fit this argument. Whether it's a right of the beneficiary or not, it's a moral obligation of society to provide healthcare to its citizens.

2. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

I wish this argument/discussion would just go away. Your statement is only true if you define what "Healthcare" is and it has a reasonable definition.

There are many many people (particularly liberals) who believe "Healthcare" in that respect means coverage for every single thing If you're defining it as broad full coverage, then it certainly is not a fact or agreed upon that it's a moral obligation of society.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Umm...they don't have a supermajority. That would be 60 Scumators, they only have 52.

If they *did* have the senate stupormajority, I still doubt the progressive wing of the RINO's would get behind the only solution to this: a complete removal of the federal government from individual health care decisions.

Can't believe I lived 40 years without their malevolent, umm, I mean benevolent hand upon me.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Seriously dude, how can you sit there and say that it is okay to tell someone, "we could save your life, we have the means, but you don't have the money so tough shit, you're gonna die" and still call yourself a human being? It's not a political issue.

Dave_SV, cpettit and ductune like this.
  5. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Seriously dude, do you know how to read?

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Not only no, but FUCK NO.

It is a moral obligation for the individual to look after himself and not be a burden to "society".

It is the moral obligation of CHARITY to take up the slack between individual responsibility and burdening the responsible.

7. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

This is what doctors get to charge:

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...icians/payment-schedules/msc-payment-schedule

I know something like this would make most of your heads spin, but it is public documents for what doctors made. Each doctor listed alphabetically for what the Government paid them.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/health/practitioner-pro/medical-services-plan/bluebook2016.pdf

I think these guys are doing OK, seeing as this was the top biller that I saw

Dhanda, Dharminder Singh ................. 3,306,400.70

8. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

I sure don't agree with you that they are "doing OK". You pick out one guy making a ton. I look through the list and see many making very very little - particularly when you consider the cost of their education. BTW, the guy you picked out is a retinal surgeon.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

If he were a rectal surgeon he'd make twice as much. ;)

10. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Not in canada. I guess assholes aren't valued as much there.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Keeps me on this side of the border. :moon:

12. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Factor in cost of education in Canada. This also includes doctor's working part time. On average, family doctors are making 250+

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Thats why I left...:D

I actually looked at having my kids go to school in Canada and at the end of the day once everything was factored in it really was not that much cheaper. The US schools appear more expensive initially but there are more scholarships, etc. And it seemed like when I was reading up on it the Canadian rates quoted in articles were tuition only where the US schools were total cost. I was really quite surprised how close the costs were.

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Among high earners, $250k is chump change.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

FTFY :D

16. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Oops, you're right. Thanks for the correction.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Half as much. Everyone has two eyes but only one asshole.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Yeah, butt vision issues can be treated with glasses. I've never heard of a corrective rectum.

19. ductune

ductune Well-Known Member

If the democrats keep winning, Trump may pioneer the procedure.

20. ductune

ductune Well-Known Member

Plus he probably owns a clinic and has a number of other retinal surgeons working for him.

I've had two detached retina surgeries in the last 4 months (same eye) and according to the bill the surgeon isn't making that much. The charge for surgery was $3,399 each time but after the insurance adjustment and my co-pay they only netted something like $1,700.