Future of Healthcare

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Nov 13, 2016.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I have no dog in this fight, but as you keep telling various people that they are not capable of understanding your stuff, I am reminded of how certain you were of your advanced electoral analytics and dismissive of anyone who was skeptical. Do you have the same level of confidence in your healthcare and COBRA facts?
    Just curious, as an observer on the sidelines.

2. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Yes. Because it's the law. Not an opinion. Not conjecture. But actual law.

As opposed to the obvious idiotic behavior of people in the primary elections that resulted in what we have now.

BTW, did you even bother to look at the links that were provided before? What I've said about COBRA is incredibly clear. It's even quoted.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I briefly used COBRA in 1997. My memory of the experience doesn't match what I read from you, but I quit reading when it became a pissing context. I'm not interested enough in the topic at the moment to dig deeper into your posts. The sentence I quoted just caught my attention at a glance.

4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Never saw anything wrong with Cobra. No cost to the taxpayers and the individual gets the opportunity to continue on with his insurance (at his cost) with the benefit of the reduced rates of his previous employer...it's a stop gap to allow the individual to jump to a new plan. If anyone has a bitch it's the previous employer who has someone on the rolls who is no longer an employee though there's no cost with it...minor bitch with a short timeline, at best.

5. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

A single payer system would be a wonderful thing to behold except for a few small drawbacks.
    First, anything run by a committee is destined to fail. If the costs even appear to be poised to rise too much then a committee member will bring up the dreaded "we must cut costs" , or some other equally important reason to screw with the program which, when we're dealing with the power of a Governmental group, that means that services to those people that need medical care will be cut. To add to that if those cuts will affect your health then it's really detrimental to one's lifespan, or so I've heard.
    Secondly, how long would it be before a "death committee" is formed to decide if your condition is too advanced to "save" so that the money is spent on something more important. Like a rebuild of the golf course close to Congress. (The value you place on your own, or a family member's life, is not in the bureaucrat's field of view.)
    There are about forty-eleventy-dozen other drawbacks but the bottom line is that we, the people, will be secondary to the program.

6. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Well, people should be interested. Because people fail to read and investigate their options, they often waste money or make bad decisions. I didn't know how COBRA really worked until I asked, and got information. If all you do is sign the friggin form when your previous employer sends it to you because you don't know any better, you may well have wasted a ton of money. It's not a pissing contest. There are probably people here that just got laid off, or will in the near future. Just maybe it'll help them save money for a short period. Isn't that better than having them waste an opportunity?

It's just like employer sponsored health care reimbursement accounts (thrift accounts). Not the Health Savings Accounts that are associated with high deductable plans, but the older ones that many have access to as part of employer sponsored health care where they put away let's say $100/month in the account pretax and the employer matches with $50/month. Or maybe not even a match.
    If you're getting laid off, and the total "annual" contribution you're making for example is $1200, but it's only March, you've only paid in $300. But - you can SPEND all $1200. If you get laid off prior to the end of the year, guess what? You keep that money.

The more people really know about their options the better off they are - at least that's my opinion. And, hppt you'll notice that several times I even specified to ask your HR/Benefits team..... Would you prefer that people just throw money away?

7. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

You're right. And the only way it really affects the former employer is in the odd exception where the employee has very high medical costs. Many people don't realize that while it won't affect rates for the current year, actual consumption and cost are factors used by the providers to negotiate rates with corporations for the following year. It's one of the reasons you're seeing more and more "company sponsored" fitness and health programs. But as far as COBRA is concerned, it's really a non-factor.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I was only commenting about the specific part I quoted. Like I said, I have no dog in this fight. I don't live in the US anymore.

9. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Truthfully, at times we could use a death committee. While I wouldn't want a committee, too many people want everything done for someone who is old and dying. There are worse things than dying and anyone that has spent a fair amount of time in an ICU understands that viewpoint.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Your microagression is quite hurtful. Ouch.

11. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Something that I've spoken about on more than one occasion is why insurance costs are out of control. Insurance companies are not the culprit with regards to health costs but rather, that cost goes directly to the insane regulations and Governmental controls attached to the actual care of patients, and the insurance community is just another victim. No one is even addressing the reason for the excessive cost of health care.

When hospitals have to charge 12 bucks for an aspirin, or other absurd charges for other simple items, it gives one the idea that something is really wrong with the system. When in hell are some of our fearless leaders going to approach that side of the issue?

12. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

wasn't sure where to put this, but after reading recent arguments above, this seems to fit here. :)

well played stossel

13. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

So that almost vote went well....... To be continued

14. ductune

ductune Well-Known Member

Well, Trump said vote or live with Obama care and they called his bluff.

They will probably take a vote soon to simply repeal it without a new plan. They could set a date in the future for passing the new plan.
    That should work out well..:rolleyes:

15. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

From Associated Press

BREAKING: House Republicans, short of votes, withdraw health care bill.

16. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

So is that a win? Are we still winning?

Dave_SV likes this.
  17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I am.

cpettit likes this.
  18. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Still wondering how we ever survived before ObamaScam...

19. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Really the only losers in the grand scheme of things are the politicians.

20. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

FTFY