1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by twodocs, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

He hit one bird last year...and had different results.:eek:

badmoon692008 likes this.
  2. I don't know if Eslick hit 22 birds during the race, but I'm sure he threw out at least that many. :D

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  3. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Did we ever get confirmation if it was birds, or waving to friends? Or special confirmation of both?

4. That's where the bus is parked.

5. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I think it was a combination. He seemed to be waving a lot through the kink where his friends were. Also, in some of the turns, as he was going through backmarkers, if the backmarkers did good, looked like he was waving with all fingers or 1 thumb. If the backmarkers were not doing so good, I think there might have been giving a single finger waive.

6. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

I'm fairly sure I saw him give the finger at least once.

7. slimjim00

slimjim00 Well-Known Member

If you are getting blue flagged, what is the proper rider etiquette?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends on the series and the situation. Stock answer is just hold your line and don't freak when much faster riders pass you. More in depth is if you can safely see where they are - and I mean all of them - move out of the way. However that is a bad thing to think first because you could have the two top bikes (or more) splitting you so moving can be very very bad - hence the stock answer.

Riders trying to be nice is also why I don't like blue flags. Potential for harm is much higher than they help when you're talking pro level riders. If you know you're going to be lapped just run a more median line leaving a bit of room everywhere and they'll be around you and gone before you know it.

9. slimjim00

That's what I thought - always had "hold your line" drilled into my head since day one. One really ugly crash helped cement that one...

So what's the point of a pro rider giving the finger to a slower rider if he's holding his own line, even if it's not "the" line? I don't get it.

renegade17 and Ra.Ge. Raptor like this.
  10. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

When the pack is this spread out, you can't anticipate where or when those guys are coming. You just have to ride your line and hope that they get by clean. Which they usually do. The only questionable pass that was ever put on me during the 200 was by a first year expert from Florida with a history of making bad decisions.

That being said, it's pretty clear that Danny gestures with his middle finger a lot. Would be awesome to have his helmet mic'd up.....probably screaming and rambling like a madman for the whole 57 laps!

MELK-MAN, Funkm05 and Ra.Ge. Raptor like this.
  11. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Man I miss those years...

Putter likes this.
  12. I have never liked the idea of blue flags, or riders being required to get out of the way (remember Ludington tearing HWSNBN a new ass over that and it being caught by somebody hiding and videoing with their phone? :crackup:)

In every single motorsport that makes a complete lap or circle, lapped traffic has and always will be a factor. Deal with it. Those guys paid their entry fees, are riding hard, battling for position, etc just like the front runners.

I find the way the announcers talk about the riders being lapped disrespectful at times (even calling them "backmarkers" on air). Russell used to be really bad about the way he talked about lapped traffic. You could tell he felt they had no business on the track to begin with. He would make comments like "there is a race going on, and you aren't in it...get out of the way".

IMO, they should keep doing their thing, running consistent and predictable lines, and it is the passing riders responsibility to get around them safely.

This is coming from somebody that has lost races due to getting caught up in lapped traffic. I've even had lapped traffic cost me a podium at the GNF on 2 separate occasions.

But even though I've been on the "short end of the stick" with lapped traffic, I still don't feel there should be blue flags or that riders should be required to alter their line and/or get out of the way of other riders.

mike574 likes this.
  13. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Debise on the old gixxer 600 beating some schmuck named Chaz on a rsv1000r. Frenchy can ride! :bow:

14. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I saw that one up close. Yowser

15. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Pretty sad especially when the other riders at the front went through the same traffic and didn't flip off anybody. People rarely change.

16. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

if the race if for the win.. and riders are getting lapped, is that not correct?

17. The race is also for 9th, or 19th, or whatever position those guys are in.

"The race" is going on throughout the field, by everyone who entered.

18. He has flipped off multiple riders (lapped traffic) in every Daytona event. This year wasn't anything new or special.

19. slimjim00

I still don't remember that weekend... Lesson learned though.

20. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I was never fast. I won series by attrition. I got passed a heap. I always held my line and, I hope, was never unpredictable.

I like to think that the fast guys who were always passing me appreciated that.

Ra.Ge. Raptor and Gino230 like this.