1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by twodocs, Mar 12, 2017.

1. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

Exactly why I was cheering for West out of the final chicane....

Gorilla George likes this.
  2. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

maybe we should have races with no winners but have participation awards instead? lol

but i get ya, even though there is really only ever a handful of racers that can win a given race, it wouldnt be much of one without the rest of the field.

we just need better backmarkers.. [​IMG]

3. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

You met a new friend on a sv, chris bays now has that bike. I think i have a vidyo of it.

4. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

[​IMG]
    I wonder why the coloring on Danny's gloves are the way they are? Ha

Wheeliest, Ducti89, Kurlon and 4 others like this.
  5. I know what you are getting at, and I also figured you knew what I was getting at and was just arguing semantics for the sake of arguing. :moon:

Every race will always have a winner and somebody who finishes last. That is just how it is.

Offtopic, but the MA Supersport class sucks because there are like 5-6 bikes in it, and they check out on the Superstock racers (and the Superstock races/racers never get any TV coverage), so it ends up looking like a televised race with 4-5 riders.

Anyway, there will always be people who are more experienced, have better equipment, so on and so forth. So there will always be "backmarkers". Everyone has to start somewhere.

Not to mention the backmarkers fill the grids, bring in families/friends/fans, sponsors, etc. In other words, the backmarkers help pay the bills for everyone involved in racing (orgs, vendors, OEMs, etc).

Most importantly, the backmarkers deserve the same respect, as racers, as the guys running up front...and they do not deserve to be disrespected by the announcers on the air, or by other racers on the track as they are being passed.

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

ok.. so lots are talking about DE flipping off riders, are you all saying that occurs SURE that's what he's doing? i for one, don't know of any rider that appears to have as much fun during this particular event as Danny does. I see tons of hand gesturing, a few "what was that dude" hand gesture, but actual flipping the bird? lot of times ?can anyone provide a pic of that? I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I have watched a few D200's and don't see that occur ..could be wrong.
    The guy does burn about 2x the calories as all the other riders with his various gestures, and waiving to the school bus gang, no doubt.

G 97 likes this.
  7. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Don't forget that he is also one of the most approachable riders out there. I saw a bunch of privateer riders going over to Danny and asking all kinds of questions at Nola a few years ago. He took time with each one of them and told them what he was doing on the track. But I will say (and he was like this even when he was a little kid) once the visor goes down, he will chase you down like a staving wolf.

8. slimjim00

slimjim00 Well-Known Member

Eh I still don't wanna see it. Deleted my GoPro footage after watching it one time because it freaked me out.

Remind me please, but the guy I collided with wasn't hurt was he? I still owe that dude beer and a formal apology.

9. slimjim00

slimjim00 Well-Known Member

I had a friend PM me the facts, but I can't post it on here...

:Poke: :D

10. Yes. Without a shadow of a doubt. There have been times when they even zoomed the camera in and showed a closeup of it (his hand behind his back, flipping off a backmarker).

I've personally seen it multiple times while watching the 200. It is obvious.

I mean, we are all grown ass men and it is just a bird. It isn't something to cry about. But unless he is friends with the guy personally and it is done as an "inside joke" between them, there is no sense in that shit.

I don't give a damn how fast someone is on track. If it were me, and I wasn't friends with the guy (meaning it wasn't a joke, it was meant as a disrespect), they would only flip me off one fucking time. I can promise you that.

Ducti89, Putter and Skter505 like this.
  11. MELK-MAN

the guys enthusiasm on the podium, and how happy he appears to be for his buddies that are ever on the podium with him.. is infectious. No doubt he's a pit bull on track, I remember the days on the Buell, stuffing that thing in there. hard passes. some off track issues? sure.. but geeze, it's hard to NOT like the guy when you see him on the podium.

12. MELK-MAN

no worries.. i just had to ask.

13. For the record, Eslick is my favorite AMA/MA racer and has been for years. I absolutely love his enthusiasm, aggressiveness, and love for racing. The most enjoyment I have had watching racing was when him and Herrin had that feud (back when he was on the Buell).

He is my favorite for the same reasons Rossi is my favorite....it is obvious they truly love racing and motorcycles. They have fun, it isn't just a job.

I have also always thought he has the most pure motorcycle skills and best bike control in the entire MA paddock. Whether we are talking about road racing, stunting, flat track, whatever...on any size bike, pavement or dirt, with or without electronics, he can ride the shit out of it. I have always felt that given 100% equal equipment/teams/circumstances, I would put my money on him every time in a battle of pure racing and motorcycle skills against anyone.

IMO, it is his antics off (and sometimes even on) the track that have kept him from landing a true factory ride. I truly feel if he had the maturity and work ethic of someone like Hayes, he would be a multi-Supersport and Superbike Champion right now...and probably riding on the world stage.

But with all of that being said, I still stand by my previous comments. The other racers, even backmarkers, deserve more respect. I don't give a shit how fast someone is on a track, I wouldn't tolerate that flipping me off bullshit, from anyone.

trispdtrip likes this.
  14. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

http://www.fanschoice.tv/component/...-200-motorcycles-saturday-march-18th-20177626

Go to 1:13:30. The west horseshoe.

Doesn't bother me one bit, although I've never been the object of his ire. He's a god on a motorcycle, but seriously, the dude is what, 120 LB? It's like being flicked off by my 11 year old nephew. You just have to laugh!

Ra.Ge. Raptor and MELK-MAN like this.
  15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Who's the sick motherfucker that put the left glove on the right and the right glove on the left? ARRRRRGH!

backcountryme and Ra.Ge. Raptor like this.
  16. 418

418 Expert #59

MELK-MAN, deepsxepa and Gino230 like this.
  17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I think that is why I like Supercross coverage so much. They will show races through out the field. Plus by having qualifiers, the slower riders also get to lead races and get mentions which really helps give exposure to the riders and their sponsors. I think if road racing could adopt this, it would help increase sponsorship value.

18. MELK-MAN

yea.. the leader comes through, you tip in .. 2nd comes through right away, you tip in again.. dude.. expect that more are comin, and just hold a friggin line ! !

Gino230 likes this.
  19. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

what if you deserved it too? what if it was the machine speaking (by gesture) through him? lol

have you never flipped a bird while racing? Slick aint no Jody Barry but I wouldnt doubt that he, and probably most of us, would do the same if the situation presented itself. I know I would, and hopeful that all of us would.

I hope ya never go all old school dirtrack cage style and start slinging uppercuts over pretty much nothing. ;-)

have you ever experienced red mist during a race Broome?

MELK-MAN likes this.
  20. MELK-MAN

2nd gear?