1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by twodocs, Mar 12, 2017.

1. I have never flipped another rider off out of disrespect on the track. I have done it to a really good friend and fellow coach while playing in Advanced at track days. But never done it with malice.

Yes - I have "seen the red mist" while racing. However, it is about the racing, not the individual. Even when a backmarker was riding erratic, held me up, and cost me a win...I didn't flip him off. I wasn't even mad at him, because I was sure he was doing the best he could. I was mad at myself for not negotiating lapped traffic better.

I've been very aggravated while racing, and during other sports. But it isn't personal. I boxed for almost 15 years, so I know how to control the "red mist" and focus on the task at hand, gameplan, etc...even while being punched in the face repeatedly.

Racing is like boxing in that it isn't about the individual, it isn't personal...it is about the competition. But once you start flipping people off and acting like a jackass, you just made it personal.

LilBabyGirl, six6two, TLR67 and 2 others like this.
  2. BTW - I am not referring to any specific incident. There might have been a time when somebody did something that was shitty. There are times in life when somebody deserves a good "FU".

I am just speaking in general. I've seen him flip off many riders over the years. Even saw him reach behind his back and flip a guy off on the banking, in the wide open, after drafting past a backmarker, when he had a HUGE lead on 2nd place. I reckon he thought the guy should have went to the top or bottom of the oval and got out of his way, I don't know.

Even the announcers commented on that one and said something like "Danny gave that backmarker a particular hand gesture as he went by, not really sure what that was about, the rider gave him a good pull with the draft".

3. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

So what would you do?

4. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

eh, we all see things in our own way differently.. if someone flipped me off, they have no control over whether i take it personal, unless.. i choose to give it to them.

its not unlike property rights, one could grant another real estate in their own head, i suppose. beneficial ownership?

what does the rulebook have to say about middle fingers? Lol

TurboBlew likes this.
  5. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

i remember that! lol. and thinking dude could probably win with one hand tied behind his back.

i thought it was great! cant even comprehend getting too worked up over it even if I was the intended receiver.

Gino230 and MELK-MAN like this.
  6. Confront him about it once the race was over. What happened from there would depend on his reaction.

I wouldn't file a complaint, or go speak to race direction, or complain to his team, or anything like that. I have never been one to handle things in that type of manner. I am more of a confrontational type of person. I would rather just go directly to the person I have an issue with and ask them what that shit was about and what his damn problem is.

Then what happens after that would all depend.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    eggfooyoung and TurboBlew like this.
  7. I have no clue, and wouldn't really care.

As far as taking it personal, it would depend on the situation. I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong or messed something up. If I did some asshatish riding and cut somebody off, almost crashing them, then they went by and flipped me off...I would think "yeah, I deserved that and had it coming".

Then after the race I would go find him and apologize, telling him that was my bad.

But if I did nothing wrong, and some guy just flipped me off trying to "show out" in front of his buddies by embarrassing and disrespecting me on a nationwide broadcast (with my family and friends also watching), then I would have a serious problem with that.

After the race I would go find him, and that conversation would go much differently.

BTW - obviously by "him" I am referring to whoever it was that did that shit. I know this conversation started about Danny flipping people off, but I am just talking in generic terms, not necessarily about Danny in particular.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    TurboBlew and slimjim00 like this.
  8. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

Depends on whether the snorkel is OEM size or not.....lol

Gino230 likes this.
  9. He would storm into their pits....

And re-organize all their shit.

badmoon692008, MGM, Steeltoe and 7 others like this.
  10. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

He was a little sore, hes moved onto flat track now.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends on the rider, some are just saying hi (like Billy does). Others are just being asses.

slimjim00, roy826ex and renegade17 like this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They are backmarkers. This is pro sprint racing, not club racing or endurance racing. If you can't run without being lapped a couple of times you don't need to be out there even if you can qualify.

Yep.

Wheeliest likes this.
  13. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Id rather be flipped off when someone passes, that waving shit just pisses me off.

14. I agree completely. But I don't think I ever seen or heard of anyone being lapped twice in a Pro race (excluding Daytona 200). I would think someone that slow wouldn't have been able to qualify in the first place.

I do seem to remember Spies and Mladin lapping the field into the top 15 a time or two.

Even at our level it rarely happens. I think I've only done it twice in my 8 years of racing, and that was when there was a brand new Novice in a race that was combined with either the C or HWT Experts.

Yes, they are backmarkers. But I just don't like some of the comments made by announcers by them. They might have the opinion that the backmarkers have no business being out there, but making that opinion obvious while calling a race on national TV/webcast isn't right in my opinion.

15. slimjim00

slimjim00 Well-Known Member

See, I totally get that. When Billy or one of my friends gives me the finger I usually know they are just saying hey in their own special way.

I've been lapped before, and I've done the lapping a few times. Never felt the need to give another rider an FU with a finger. Maybe a wave of a hand in a "WTF are you doing" type deal when someone does a bonehead move in front of me, but not the finger...

Only time I've ever been pissed in a race was when I was leading a 250 expert race and caught up to some dudes on Thruxton's with yellow plates. Fast in the straights, parked it in the corners. Passed them both in the 90's at Tally around the outside and one of the dudes blew his line bad enough to hit my leg so hard it knocked off a knee puck. Dude came over later and was saying what a great race it was - I wasn't in your damn class dude :rolleyes:

16. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

If that was in 2014 the guy he flipped off on the banking was Luke Stapleford (won the BSB SS title that year and now runs WSS).

Ducti89 and Steeltoe like this.
  17. Yep. Luke was there racing his same old generation 675 (that he continued racing until this year; even all the way up through the 2016 season he was still running the old generation of the 675).

From what I remember, that was his first time seeing Daytona (which explains why he was off the pace) He is a world class rider that has dominated in the BSB and even landed on a WSS Pole on that old 675. With more seat time and preparation, I'm sure Luke would run up front at Daytona.

18. G 97

G 97 Garth

Hacking found out the hard way what some will do after being flipped off on track. He was fortunate that his pit crew was around to pull him out of harms way or he would have been wrapped up like a pretzel. :D

Still nothing compares to the #1 all- time douchebag Duhamel who had a habit of brake-checking you late in a session at hi speeds after he passed you.

But for sure never get in between a conga-line of the top fast riders during qualifying. You will experience first hand all kinds of jesturs, kicking and brush passes. :eek: :crackup:

Gorilla George likes this.
  19. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Thanks for the post, Matt. Im interested in hearing the facts and technicalities at play once its resolved.

Hopefully it will remove all grey areas from filter-gate

All the best in your appeal!

20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Now I could see that getting me all upset and confronting someone. Racing a bike is dangerous enough without that BS.

Gorilla George likes this.