2012 Rules

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Feb 23, 2012.

1. charles

charles The Transporter

Wow! Do they have expansion chambers?

2. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Well they tried to test them given they tuned length of 200 yards and the weight of 6 pipes that size the boat capsized when they got the 4th one attached. They abandoned the concept in favor of 2 sets of stock H2 pipes :D.

3. charles

charles The Transporter

It would be instructional if you could post some pics or a schematic of those pipes, to include the formula used to achieve the proper tuned lengths.

Please don't tell me some of these motors were 'triples'?? :eek:

4. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Charles, try and keep up here, I said they needed 6 pipes this would make it 6 cylinder configuration. I believe they are built with 6 - 10 cylinders... they tried the expansion chambers on one of the 6 cylinder models, hence the need for 2 sets of stock H2 pipes or 2 X 3 = 6 pipes ;)

5. charles

charles The Transporter

I want a full briefing on the efficacy of using H2 pipes, not some techno-geek rationale of said undignified use on slobbering multi-cylinder diesels (not to mention the simple-minded math lesson).

What has become of you (the talented you we once knew and admired) now that you've gotten into ghastly marine diesels?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah I was thinking ship engines, didn't really factor in truck/pickup sizes.

7. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

Need a full briefing on efficacy of H2 pipes? Just follow me on the track - if you can. ;)

8. charles

charles The Transporter

I've followed you plenty of times...but you keep disappearing. ;)

9. MidnightRun

MidnightRun Well-Known Member

In over the road diesels...the 2 stroke left the scene in the mid 70's. They stayed popular in heavy generator sets cuase they could be up to speed before the lights went out( hospitals)

10. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

Any rule changes made Sean? Limited mod R5 to 500gp? (or RD250) Limited mod XS650 to V-2? Not that there is much interest in the R5/RD's these days. The XS650 on the otherhand has the potential for helping grid sizes.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  11. 70yamahaR5

70yamahaR5 Well-Known Member

But then, as if by magic, he reappears. Oh, that's when he laps me. Nevermind.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Haven't sad down and re-read the thread yet but I'm thinking no to both things I asked about in here and pulling Gruhns 500 as well. I have to sort out if we should do a test HW version as Hinshaw suggested.

13. bogganman

bogganman Well-Known Member

That was Ron "The Bullet" Kaufman, -w- bikes tuned by Kris Bernstein.I beat him at Rockingham,on an rd400. I say unlimited r5's in 500gp! Be quiet, Lyn.....

14. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

Why limited mod for the R5? Someody rode one almost 20 years ago and did well so the R5 will never be put in GP500? I don't hear anyone complaining about well built and ridden Ducati singles winning every race in GP350, so unless someone is racing an R5 now and is noticaly faster than everything else in the class I say let it in GP.

Mark Badger

15. charles

charles The Transporter

Jim's idea is a decent one...at the same time, why not let DG utilize his TZ500 in F-2Stroke? It's an attraction and again, like the R5 that Mark Badger wants to put on the 500GP grid, it's not likely to monopolize the class.

Unless i'm mistaken, if any one type of machine proves to be a class breaker consistently, you have the ability to bump it up and out of that class.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

DG has a couple of classes already, not sure we need 3 or 4 classes for any given bike to be competitive in.

17. charles

charles The Transporter

Dick can run his RD400 in V3, Form 500, and F-2Stroke just like anyone else...
    he can't ride both bikes at the same time (in F2-Stroke)! I suspect he wants a bit more HP to deal with the improved competition in that class;since F-2Stroke is for 2strokers only, it should be a balls-to-the-wall class as far as machines are concerned.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It was never designed as a balls to the wall class so I have to disagree on that part.

19. charles

charles The Transporter

Should it be? You've already have almost all the competitive 2strokers in the class, up to 1985, except the TZ500 and the TZ750's (both of which are few and far between). It's a damn good class that is attractive to anyone racing a 2stroke...and it attracts some very good riders on well-prepared equipment.

By the way, i didn't mean to suggest 'anything goes.'

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Few and far between does actually cause the problem (at least in my head) - if they're actually that much faster then it's merely a case of someone just buying one to outclass the other machines that have made the class what it is. I'd rather not mess with something that is working and if there is a need for a class for those machines then lets look at making one - without harming what is already working.