WSBK 2024: Rea replaces Toprak?!

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Sep 2, 2023.

1. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

The first post I quoted said "what physical advantage is that", as if they don't exist, and he specifically referenced GP racing.

The second post I quoted was replying to another post that had just addressed, with specificity, how the physiological advantages would affect GP racing. In the quote he says that it is "pure opinion masquerading as fact", referring to the physiological advantages.

Then I responded with what you quoted me saying, referring to the physiological differences and how they relate to all physical exertion, which includes GP racing.

I know exactly what i said, in wahat co text, and what iwas addressing. Its you that doesn't.

Good, it'll benefit you. :dead:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2023
  2. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Can we agree that in any sport that depends on human performance alone that, given similar training levels, men will outperform women? If so, the only remaining issue is to what extent that advantage might be negated by mechanical assistance. I would contend that once you reach the highest level of any sport, even tiny advantages will noticeably affect the outcome.

3. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

I'm a little behind on this thread. Is Kawasaki going to put a woman on Rea's bike?

scottn, DJ Baker and cbush like this.
  4. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

No, Mesa. Honda is replacing Marquez with a woman following his departure for Gresini. Try to keep up.

lopitt85 likes this.
  5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Sure.
    If you're willing to ignore things like throttle control, brake feel, the ability to feel, interpret and predict what the motorcycle is and will be doing, the ability to find the fastest lines given a particular set-up, tire management, racecraft and dogfighting abilities, and I'm sure other skills that I forget at the moment that are not necessarily quantifiable but recognizable when you see them, I suppose that you could be right.

I happen to believe that superiority in some or all of those areas can make up for brute strength or endurance and give someone a chance to compete.

6. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Holy shit, you guys would argue if water is wet for 12 pages. A bunch of high school boys smoked the U.S. Women's soccer team and some dude ranked 355th in the country tucked his wang and is now the women's national swimming champion. We aren't built the same and never will be.
    I'm a Kayla fan and I hope she has success at every level of her career. She certainly puts in the work.

AJ and prm like this.
  7. prm

prm Well-Known Member

What a dumpster fire. This is not that hard. The range of performance capability between men and women does overlap. The strength, endurance, etc. required for road racing falls within that overlap. At least for the foreseeable future it’s not an issue for her. Go race!

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

None of your examples mean shit in the specific conversation we are having.

Badger911GT3 likes this.
  9. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

That one does. :D

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Damn, what’s in the water down there? I can’t even remember the last time I saw a woman that was 6’4”.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

See?

NOBODY watches WNBA! :D

12. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

For crying out loud. I just skipped over 3 pages of posts and you guys are still arguing the same dumb shit? Can we get back to the topic at hand? What is the best pie?

13. pickled egg

Shepherd’s.

Once a Wanker.. and Bruce like this.
  14. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

That’s a damn lie…everyone knows pecan is the only correct answer to this question.

Bruce likes this.
  15. redtailracing

I think that is where the root of this whole discussion lies. Exactly how much overlap there is. You've got the group who says the requirements for a pro racer don't fall into that territory at all, effectively saying it's so skilled-based that the performance differences are no different than they would be in chess. Then there's the group acknowledging there's a physical difference that does generate a performance gap but not an insurmountable one. Thus a woman can be just as competitive but the physical demand is significant enough that it still puts her at a disadvantage, the same as a male who is 6'6". And lastly the group saying that at a certain level, the physical demand and subsequent performance capability becomes too much of a gap to bridge.

Took me a bit to figure this out myself but I don't think anyone is really arguing the physiological differences in men and women as much as they're arguing how much motorcycle racing is physical demand versus skill and the relative disadvantage or lack thereof that puts women at.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. pickled egg

Your nuts!

17. redtailracing

What about them?

18. pickled egg

Don’t go in any pie I’d eat!

19. 27

27 Well-Known Member

what about mashed potatoes from that kind of party?

and help me out fellas… what song is that? I’ve been trying to remember…

pickled egg likes this.
  20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Chess? I see why this has gone on so long. You guys just make up shit so you can tell yourselves that you're making valid points. :crackup:Words have meanings. If they didn't, there wouldn't be so many of them.

Well god damn, how in the hell did it take you that long? :)