1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 8

Discussion in 'General' started by Trev230EX, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Trev230EX

Trev230EX Put me in coach

Anybody using it?

I just returned a laptop I purchased 75 days ago. It had Windows 7.

Of course, the new one they exchanged it for has Windows 8. This OS is ass backwards in every which way.

It is counter productive and difficult to control and navigate.

Anybody else think the same? I'm really agitated right now. The removal of the start menu is the biggest pain in the ass!

2. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

We hate it here in the CAD Software world. We order everything we can get with 7

3. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

imo windows is going into a trendy, non easily navigatable type enviroment, i still us xp, mainly because my printer software won't work on anything after xp, but its very easy to work with, i have an iphone for trendy stuff

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Mr. Sunshine is NOT going to be happy with this thread :D

5. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

I think the trend is going towards OS that will be easily navigated with a touch screen, not a mouse. Lots of swyping, sliding and very little mousing.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

7 pro was and is pretty darn good.

I didn't like 8 when I tried it over at worst buy. It's like a winder licker version of something apple threw away.

7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

[​IMG]

Change isn't always bad ;)

8. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

anyone remember the quick bar in office(i think office 97) , i used to put all my program icons up into it, clean desktop and one click programs, but then some genius at microsoft ditched it in later versions

9. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I've had Windows 7 since Thanksgiving and I really like it. It feels like a mature OS. I lost my serial port in the exchange so that caused a little heartache but I've adapted. I don't like what I'm hearing about Windows 8.

10. gsxr1000bill

gsxr1000bill Well-Known Member

New laptop has 8...don't really hate it, but it is a lot more difficult!

11. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

12. fixerflyer

fixerflyer Well-Known Member

I cannot stand it! How is this program supposed to work for the business world?

13. Trev230EX

I just installed the classic shell app which installs the start menu back.

Still hate this thing.

I guess the options are:

-"downgrade to windows 7"

or

-Just buy a damn Mac to match my ipad and iphone

14. natedogg624

natedogg624 Well-Known Member

Still there kinda sorta with W7...

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I did this and I'm quite happy. Not that I'm a Mac fanboi by any stretch, but at this point I'm now using

- MacBook Pro
    - iPad 2
    - iPhone 4S and 3GS
    - iPod shuffle

Everything works quite nicely together, but I do keep Fusion running with a Win7 VM for a couple of online portals my company uses that only support IE.

16. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Here we go again...LOL!!!
    Cheers, Lee S.

17. Trev230EX

I like Windows and would rather keep it to be honest. Just wanted feedback from people that have seen this first hand. It is very odd how they designed it.

18. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

The biggest change from win7 to win8 for the standard business user is the start menu. it went from a menu to a full screen. Otherwise it is very much the same. Once you realize this moving over isn't a big deal.

19. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

that's what we get for changing the print driver model. :(

20. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Windows 8 sucks balls when you don't have a touch screen, which I don't. Even the stupid e-mail software is too effin' dumb to display the entire e-mails (window is not wide enough and you can't change the columns width). Sometimes, when I move my mouse in a certain way, it switches to another screen and I don't know why...

I hate it. I believe that's why they called it "Windows Hate".

That's what happens in a design driven world where form dictates function.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013