1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 8

Discussion in 'General' started by Trev230EX, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

On that front I'd certainly agree.

2. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

It boots WAY faster (less than 2 seconds on the right machine)

Its thread scheduler is faster and more flexible.

It has connected standby capability (that's basically what happens when you "turn off" the display on your phone).

4. Venom51

Have yet to see it on any machine...

UEFI...SSD...yada...yada...yada.....nothing has booted in 2 seconds unless you are using Microsoft minutes to measure time.

5. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I'll pm you a video later done by one of the pm's I work with.

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

My thoughts exactly. We have a browser that does all that shit, why would we want to download a ton of apps do do the same ?

7. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

I hate Vista, but I installed vista prem on 5 machines this week and none took over and hour.

8. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

frankly you can't get full featured apps nor performant apps in a browser. I dislike when people create stuff requiring the browser thinking its good enough (internal tools). no it's not.

9. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

You must really dislike Chrome and ChromeOS then..

10. Venom51

Do you really think I haven't seen the boot demo....?

I'm telling you have haven't built a machine or seen a notebook that can replicate the demo. Right up to the brand new XPS8500 I took out of a box this morning.

11. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

What about updates and drivers?

12. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

If I remember I'll get you machine config that will. I think my laptop will but I need to reinstall it with uefi mode enabled.

13. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

Drivers and most update files are downloaded while it installs or have been downloaded before.

If you are talking just updates, it takes hours to get all the 7 updates, and windows 8 will be that way in time.

14. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Sending you a PM...

15. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

OK all you 8SmartGuys, I have a new computer with Win8 and it freekn just locks the fk up..no reason...if it is sitting or even in the middle of working...just locks up..restart and it is fine again for about 30/45 min..hell it will lock up with the screen saver running.

When I say New, I mean like less than 10 hrs total on it.

16. Venom51

Random lock ups or reboots can usually be traced to a shitty driver, bad memory or poorly manufactured motherboard.

Mini-dump files and large memory dump files will usually give you some more clue as well. However you have to know how and which tools to use to read them.

Check the event viewer and look under system to see what errors are being thrown if any.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  17. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

UhHuh....yeah...well that would be great...suppose I would do all that if I knew what I was doing...about like you welding Ti...:)

This thing has 2 HD's and the first one is measured in the Terrabites..and 64bit something or other...140watt preheated powersupply with some sort of supercooler..and 6gigs of ram...blah blah.blah...and locksthfkup.:crackup:

A quick google search turned up a ton of others with the same locksthfkup problem and MS saying "There is NO Issue with Our Wonderful New OS"

18. Venom51

Your welcome to drive over to Cumming with it and I'll see what I can do.

19. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I may do just that...if I can pry myself away from the shop. thanks..:)

Corei5 ?? ring any bell?

20. caferace

caferace No.

Damn! :crackup:

-jim