1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why aren’t there Americans left in Motogp

Discussion in 'General' started by 392, Jan 17, 2024.

1. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

The ability to promote yourself to people with deep pockets is all important.
    My kid was a decent rider, but I hate asking for money, so we left the sport.

2. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Not so much the league as sponsors. It is a way you can demonstrate you bring eyes. Oh and when you bring a bunch of eyes and joe's sprockets sees your posts about his product it is easier to write checks. Success also helps but there is a lot of people not at the front with years of support IMO.

3. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

When Americans realize Europeans treat racing the way we treat stick and ball sports, is when they realize we’ve been left behind.

yes we always have 3-5 shining stars on our stage, until motorcycle is a lifestyle here then nothing will change.

put it this way, you see all the parents, friends, families, grandparents, at youth football games packed the fuck out or t-ball, or soccer, etc.

over there you have racing motorcycles and futbol. That’s their lifestyle.

4. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't see Roberts painting his hair in cheetah pattern, and "crip walkin' " on a podium :) Cornrows...maybe. But, only if someone in the fashion world convinces him it's back in style...for whitebois.

5. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

Just my opinion...Dorna sports is a European company that runs the show and it's about money and ratings not talent or countries representing the sport. There is no money growth in US with MotoGP or Moto2.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Roberts, right or wrong comes across a bit of a douche bag. The same facial expression in most of his instagram photos. Not to mention the here I am with my $5000 bicycle. Here I am with my $4000 Rickenbacker bass (not only am I racer but I'm also a rock star). Here I am with eating a ham sandwich but I somehow look like a douchebag.
    I'm sure he's a good dude and well meaning but he just comes across like a rich kid playing at a lifestyle.

That's probably on me.

Nicky had the country boy, awe shucks act down and it worked.

badmoon692008, CRA_Fizzer and 969 like this.
  7. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Thing is, that always has been the case. Motorcycles have never been as popular in the states as there are/were in EU....

8. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

I still think fuck The world stage and grow the racing here.

Gino230, 969, Chazzz and 4 others like this.
  9. Hartluck36

Hartluck36 Well-Known Member

im all for that but how do propose we do that.

10. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Oh indeed, I understand that some of what I said is probably just my advance track to curmudgeon :)

11. Hartluck36

Hartluck36 Well-Known Member

spies has said it, hayes has said it, hell even sdk said it in his last podcast. Until the kids in america ride something equivalent to the gp chassis in europe they are always going to struggle going over there. look at the people who went there that rode 125, 250gp bikes that were similar, they were successful. colin edwards, nicky hayden, hopper, spies and look at kids that have never really rode anything but production bikes they have struggled. How do you bridge that gap in america its almost damn near impossible when every class of production racing we have is a minimum of 30k just for the bike to be semi competitive. much less the cost of trying to get gp based bikes here in america. will never happen.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

True in baseball/football/soccer in europe. Self promotion - be it social media or not - is huge for anyone in a sport without a huge tv deal or huge fanbase. That's how you get the deals that really pay the bills.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think Nicky did well in spite of the hairstyles rather than because of them :crackup:

stk0308 likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Honest answer - stuff like baggers. MA is truly growing it. Trackdays grew the number of riders on track. It is better than it was back in the glory days people keep referring to overall, the main issue right now is US bike sales. Without those you don't have ad money from the OEMs. Without OEM money you don't get outside sponsors.

Eeyore, GNC and henry_carlson like this.
  15. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Don`t think it was an act; Nicky seemed as genuine as they come.

Spooner, CRA_Fizzer and 969 like this.
  16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It is. You are a grown-ass man. What are you doing on his Instagram?

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Instragraming.

18. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Nicky was also damn good looking.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Nascarize that bitch!

20. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

Unless we see someone partner up with American Racing, the only chance I see of an "American Abroad" is by performing well in Superbike and then having a perfect storm of seat availability/ someone lobbying for the rider and landing in WSBK and doing well. We forget GG was on the verge of the GP seat until.. well... Toprak. That seems the most logical path, what'd Kayla call it the Gerloff model?

Namarow likes this.