1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why aren’t there Americans left in Motogp

Discussion in 'General' started by 392, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Hartluck36

Hartluck36 Well-Known Member

I agree with that statement and agree ma is growing it. But How do you grow the racing besides just the baggers. and im not just speaking on the motoamerica level. I also agree that trackdays have more riders on track and or at club races. But what is the racers/trackday riders time expectancy these days honest question. seems like you have more people on track at trackdays or some wera races but seems like its for a lot shorter period of time than it use to be. see alot of one and done"s or just a few seasons where i feel like even club guys use to hang around alot longer. I know contingency money had a lot to do with that but just curious what that expectancy is now days

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

He was?

stk0308 likes this.
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Just smile and wave, he'll eventually tire himself out. :D

4. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

Did the fill in and was in the rumor mill for the Petronas seat to replace Rossi, no?

5. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

Dave I like yah but man you dont even watch... at least tune in before you mansplain what happened in the 90's

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, if we're talking about rumors...:)

henry_carlson likes this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Watch what? Motogp? I watch it. WSBK? Can't find it and not going through an app. :D

The 90s? I was there and remember some of it. :D

henry_carlson likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Contingency never did anything but make it so a handful of riders could run around club racing for a living. It didn't actually draw more in or keep those who weren't top 3 all the time in the sport any longer. Realistically there is nothing that can be done to change it. It's expensive, it's dangerous, people won't do it for very long on overage.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  9. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

There are other flags besides Spain represented in Motogp.
    How do they keep feeding the kids in?
    What does OZ do that we don't do?

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Italy and they are on the rise.
    Have a strong feeder system. Add in the VR46 juggernaut and it's italy on the rise, again.
    Gives the promising riders no real opportunity other than to go abroad to make a living. Think the US series is a tough grind to make a living? check out the Aussie series.

Bugslayer likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The have a euro passion for motorcycle that we do not.

12. Bugslayer

So they have toughness that we don't have?

I don't follow any of this close enough to really know. Just throwing shit out for fun.

cav115 likes this.
  13. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

We ain't shit without a pace car!

14. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I think a lot of what is going on has been mentioned in this thread so far. I think back to a conversation I had with Larry Shorts (anybody remember him?) at Talladega in about 1985 or 86. His perspective as an AMA Pro rider was that Pro riders were just club racers with money. I think that was true then and is still true. The difference is that the costs were much less then and could be self funded or from smaller sponsors with some help from contingency. Now the money needs to come from personal sponsors that the rider can bring to the team to pay for the season. I believe that MA is only preparing the racers for WSBK not MotoGP due to the differences in bikes. Production based bikes do not prepare most riders for MotoGP. Until there is a strong series of classes based on GP style chassis at some consistent level in the US, we won't be sending riders straight to the MotoGP paddock.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sorta.
    With Stoner and what they went through than yes. That boy ate a mile of shit just to get a chance to grab the brass ring (and it paid off). Others, it's a huge gamble and for some, it may pay off.

With the US you can still make an okay living if you're creative, can attract the right sponsors and catch some luck. In Australian you are better off learning a trade than trying to make a living racing.

Bugslayer likes this.
  16. Bugslayer

Don't they have somebody in each class this year?

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Move to Europe at a young age.

stk0308 likes this.
  18. Bugslayer

Again, I don't follow close enough to know. Is that what the path is for countries like Australia and South Africa?

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Pretty much. Those guys and their families make major sacrifices. Not just financially. They move halfway around the world. They're gone before they are old enough to race superbikes. The ones who stay, you never heard of. They are still back home racing supersport and superbikes.

stk0308 and Bugslayer like this.
  20. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Speaking from a limited perspective but at least for the few years I raced, contingency as a novice helped me stay at least long enough to get my white plates. Not sure what it looks like today but without it back then, the struggle would have just been that much harder.

badmoon692008 and AC1108 like this.