who uses the rear brake?

Discussion in 'General' started by obcbr, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Not exactly. I got off on a tangent because I was distracted by my own thoughts while replying to your post. :crackup:

My original thought/intent with my reply was that I was disagreeing with your "separating the men from the boys" comment. As previously stated, there have been many top level riders, including World Champions, who admitted they never used the rear brake. Even a few MotoGP riders have admitted they rarely ever use it. Using the rear brake doesn't "separate the men from the boys", it is just "another way to skin a cat".

2. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I think it depends on bike too. The R6 wants to lock too easy. The ZX10R won't lock unless I stand on the rear brake hard.

3. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Just messing with you, and I agree. Lot's of ways to handle it.

Gorilla George likes this.
  4. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I would try a thumb brake, but I don't think I'm capable of using the rear like Redding was. He has some awkward foot placement for me.

5. A thumb brake is something I would like to try.

Does anyone know if a thumb brake renders a bike illegal for SS?

jd96 likes this.
  6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Yes. Unless you know of a bike that comes stock with one.

7. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

The only problem here is not the KWs or SRs of the world but rather the mortals.

All things considered, it seems like a nice tool to be put in the bag after absolute mastery of the front brake. But it can cause more issues than it solves prior to that skill level.

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. Is there a specific rule that states the controls cannot be moved?

Or are you just applying the all-inclusive "if it doesn't say you can do it, then you can't do it" thing to it?

9. Venom51

Consider it that same as swapping out the master cylinder for an aftermarket piece. You are adding parts that are not required by the rule book for safety so I'm pretty confident it would not be legal. Would it actually make the difference between winning and losing for anyone? Questionable and dependent on the loose screw between the seat and the handlebars.

10. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

That would be my interpretation too. You would be adding bits of billet shinyness on to an already existing brake system so IMO it would not be considered a simple control reconfiguration.

11. Totally agree on the 2nd part.

On the first part, the same argument could be made for a full exhaust, or 520 chain kit, or rearsets, or levers, or a Quickshifter, or a Power Commander, etc. There are tons of things legal in SS classes that have nothing to do with safety, and definitely do add a performance advantage.

Im not arguing if it is legal or not, I honestly don't know. I have been trying to get the WERA page to open but it won't load for some reason (my internet connection sucks at the moment).

12. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I thought I saw someone locally (Not WERA) using one because his ankle had limited mobility from accidents. Just walk with a limp on racedays like Kaiser Soze.

13. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

i now have a fat spring on the rear master cylinder and find it easier to experiment w/ using the rear brake. its prob gonna take me years to become proficient at it. but i suspect its worth the effort.

14. With a thumb brake, you aren't making the rear brake better or stronger, you are just changing where/how it is controlled. I mean, if somebody swapped the rear caliper for a Brembo, or went to an aftermarket rotor, that would be a different scenario.

Because of all the hardware in my right ankle and foot, it stays swollen constantly. During races, especially tracks with several right hand corners (where I am hanging off the right side of the bike, with a lot of weight on my right foot), it tends to swell even more and go numb. That is why I am always limping at the end of races (especially at Barber and Road Atlanta, with the long duration right handers...it doesn't bother me as much at Talladega).

Like I said, I don't use the rear brake under normal circumstances. But even if I did, I wouldn't be able to safely/comfortably use it for more than a couple of laps. That is why I am asking if the thumb brake is legal. Which, I typically only race in SB classes anyway, so I reckon it doesn't matter. But I am just curious, for future considerations.

fixerflyer likes this.
  15. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

IMG_0035.PNG

5axis likes this.
  16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Actually, I would contend that the ability to be much more precise with your rear brake indeed makes it better.
    One of the problems with the classic rear brake is how difficult it is to use it in a linear, progressive manner. It's often all or nothing.
    Personally, it didn't do me any good because I quickly returned to "front only" after trying to play with mine a few times. But people far more capable than me say that it does make a difference.

17. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

That's why I love the internet. Put me on his moto gp bike and him on a grom and he would beat me!

18. Venom51

Well...there's the answer. You are one ankle fusion surgery away from being SS legal.

Pixelator likes this.
  19. :crackup:

I was 1" away from being there. But this is a case where I was lucky enough to stay illegal for SS. :D

The surgeons at UAB said they considered it. The first one thought it was necessary, but he reached out to get a 2nd and 3rd opinion from colleagues and they said it could be repaired without fusion. It took them over 4hrs and a lot of hardware, but they got it fixed.

Oddly enough, they said the same thing with all the damage I recently took to my right foot after hitting the Armco at Barber. They said had the impact been 1" further up on my foot, they would have needed to do an immediate fusion. Thank goodness I was using proper racing foot positioning. Had I not been on the balls of my foot, and been in a typical "street riding" foot position with the peg under my heel, it would have been really bad.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes it does unless you can prove you have a physical issue showing the need for one.