1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

who uses the rear brake?

Discussion in 'General' started by obcbr, Apr 1, 2017.

1. obcbr

obcbr Well-Known Member

I've heard 2 primary argument's for using the rear brake inside of a turn. 1) don't use it because you can lock up the rear, and 2) use it to help tighten your line. When I first started TDs in CA I was told to use it, and did so for years until I moved to the South. Then I was told not to in fear of locking up the rear. Who uses it, or doesn't, and why. If someone is a physics physician and could explain it all that'd be nice.

2. 20 pages, minimum.

cajun636, VFR#52, TurboBlew and 2 others like this.
  3. trispdtrip

trispdtrip Poor, Fat, Slow Racer

they have rear brakes!?? :D

4. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Wheelie control and racing in the rain only.

Brad Perdiew likes this.
  5. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Used for my first 3 trackdays.
    Never after that.

6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

To slow down your chopper.

7. This has been discussed in depth, many times. I know there are already threads on this that are like 10 pages long. At the end of the day, there is no "right" way to do it. There are people who swear by it, and use it all the time. Then there are people who never touch it. Was it Russell or Schwantz who said something like "I only touched the rear brake twice in my career, both times I crashed". I remember during an interview Alex Lowes said he had never once used the rear brake until he started experimenting with it this year (he said that during an interview last year). I read in an article that Lorenzo only uses it 2-3 times per lap, depending on the shape of the corner.

There are some people who say you MUST use it to go fast, but there are also people who have won National and World Championships without ever touching it. So at the end of the day, using the rear brake (or not using it) isn't the reason why someone is winning or losing.

This is right there with GP shift. Some people say you MUST use GP shift on the track, but there are lots of people who have been very successful using Standard shift (Mladin, Checa, Biaggi, to name a few).

Just do what works for you.

8. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Wheelie control and off track excursions.

BigBird, Brad Perdiew and busa99 like this.
  9. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Do some flattrack........you will learn to use it.

VFR#52 likes this.
  10. :stupid:

Normal conditions, on the track, I never touch it aside from trying to keep the front wheel down.

TX Joose likes this.
  11. That will be super handy, when I actually race flat track. :)

I did the American Supercamp and used it all weekend. It was a lot of fun sliding the bike around and backing it into corners.

...still never use it on the track.

12. trispdtrip

trispdtrip Poor, Fat, Slow Racer

Well duh! Everyone knows if you use the front it will flip you over.

Sabre699, Torn7th, p144 and 3 others like this.
  13. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

This.
    Every one rides different and every track and every corner has its own demands. I got used to using the rear brake to help settle the bike when it wanted to wag on corner entries. I didn't necessarily use it at every corner.

Rich Graver and obcbr like this.
  14. obcbr

obcbr Well-Known Member

I saw a video where it happened! I personally don't use the rear. I did for years in CA by a few local fast guys, then stopped. I wrecked a few years back so I got scared and started using it again, low and behold, I slowed down! So stopped using it again. Then I talk to a guy at Roebling who uses it all the time. He's considerably faster than most so I've been turning it over in my head.

15. g maloney

g maloney Well-Known Member

Thumbrakes. Will not lock the rear wheel, retains foot pedal, trail braking, "poor" man's traction control, decreasing radius turns, grattan jump, controls wheel spin, wheelies, etc.
    I assume if one could modulate their foot brake well enough these benefits would apply too.

5axis, SpeedyE, 418 and 2 others like this.
  16. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Kyle Wyman to the white courtesy phone...
    reliable source at M4 has mentioned to me that Kyle is a monster on the rear brake

that GPtech thumb brake would be kinda cool, especially still retaining the pedal. I use the rear a fair amount, but not to the extent I hear Wyman and Eslick do..
    stands to reason that those with dirt background will likely use a rear brake on a roadrace track ?

One thing that helped me use the rear more, and read these tips somewhere...
    1) bevel your rear brake pads. less force can be applied, side benefit of easier rear wheel change
    2) set the pedal really low, so that it would be more than uncomfortable to apply it enough to lock up. As you get better with it, you can raise the pedal some to get more benefit.

RED675, VFR#52, throwdown and 3 others like this.
  17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It requires the use of the rear brake if you want to lay'er down to keep from wreckin'.

badmoon692008 and SpeedyE like this.
  18. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Just do it like Scott Redding he's faster than anyone on here. :D
    YRMV.

Ride safe,
    AAron

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Only when I'm on grass :D

TheGrouchyCat and masshole like this.
  20. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Rear brake user here. Trying to get better at it, riding a dirt bike has definitely helped in learning rear usage

throwdown and MELK-MAN like this.