1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which AR 15 type rifle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mille R, Jan 26, 2012.

1. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

No offense but while DPMS would never be my first choice at all for an AR, I also don't have anything against their rifles. I know several people with them and they function just fine. Just like basically every other AR out there. There's so little difference in a standard mil-spec AR. If someone has a DPMS then they'll probably recommend it. Just like those with S&W, or Sig, etc etc...

2. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

ARs used to be light. ..for yrs. 5.8-6.5lbs(empty). Then the A2 came out..and they've only gotten heavier as yrs pass, with thick(heavy) barrels, multi optics, lasers, lights, etc. For the most part, I've only used the early carry handle type(SP1, A1, which currently have gained in value. as well as a "retro build" following), going back to the late 70s. 09 I snag'd a new M4 and did the typical(EOTech, light/mount,vertical foregrip). But soon hated the crappy balance and over weight of it all. So I nixed that barrel setup(and EOtech for a lighter smaller red dot) and replaced it with a mid length gas system using a light weight profile 16" barrel. Presto! instant lighter, better balanced, improved swing weight, overall better carrying rifle. My other two is an SP1 using a LW 16 barrel. Another A1ish build using a new J&P 14.5" LW barrel. A 4th is an 'still in progress' 10.5" AR pistol:clap:.

Yes, theres now many newer(non quadrail:up:), good, ergo, full length, modular, more minimalist-ish, only use what short rail section one needs..um..handguards avail currently.

Fwiw, I've also seen and heard of many reliable DPMS rifles. And wouldn't mind having to run one if its proven reliable in the past. Remember theres countless, reliable, good shooting ARs out there nowadays, that are built up on generic blemmed lowers(like the currently common $55 Anderson lower).

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Another question how do you chamber your first round? You could be riding the charging handle not letting it go into battery.

4. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Absolutely. I guess I just got hung up on the thought of someone saying "I recommend DPMS" :D

FWIW, the first AR I built was done off of a Spike's lower and a PSA upper. Definetely a budget build. When handling it side by side with my buddy's DPMS, the tolerance differences and overall sloppiness is noticeable.

5. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Yeah I have a Spike's lower with a S&W M&P15 upper that I got from a buddy who went to an SBR. Works just fine. If I want a Designated Marksmen rifle than I'll look to do something different. But even then just switching the barrel and making it free float will do the majority of the accuracy improvements I'd be looking for.

6. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Go to a NRA/CMP service rifle match sometime and ask what brand of AR people are shooting. I bet most of them would have to look at the side of the receiver to even remember. But I bet they can tell you 1) what barrel they have and 2) what trigger. The rest just doesn't matter a whole lot. My main rifle is a DPMS and my backup (which I just sold) was a RRA NM. When I'm on the rifle I wouldn't be able to tell you which was which.

7. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

Been wanting to build a lightweight AR for a while now...

Colt 6720:
    [​IMG]

Or build a pencil barrel version on your own. Magpul MOE handguards are very light, and you can add individual rails if needed.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I have a DPMS M4 clone and it's been a great rifle. No slop, plenty accurate, no issues once I got it broken in. It did have a malfunction the first time I shot it - the pin that retains the buffer was screwed in too far and the buffer moved forward, jamming the gun. It took about 30 seconds to fix and it's run flawless ever since. It's probably my fault for not checking the gun out before going to the range. I literally pulled it out of the box, loaded it, and started shooting.

9. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

I may be guilty of that. I have a tendency to control the slide handle and watch the round go into the chamber. I have seen freinds just slam the catch release and I guess it strikes me as being rough on the equipment.

Again, I'm still learning a lot about this gun, so no question asked or answered is gonna hurt my feelings.

Colin

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Your friends are doing it right. The correct way is either pull the charging handle fully to the rear and release it or lock the bolt back, insert magazine and press the bolt catch.
    Not sure how new you are to firearms in general but the same goes for every semi-auto firearm. You never want to ride the round in the chamber. This could lead to an out of battery discharge and damage to the gun or you.
    The only time you never want to drop the bolt (or slide of a handgun) on a round is if you place the round in the chamber by hand. On some semi-auto guns this will break the extractor. Always let the gun strip the round from it's magazine. (Bolt guns are different.)

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

And AR's have a bolt forward assist for a reason..............

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Yet nobody advocates using it. The original rifle design didn't have it. New slick sided uppers do away with it as well. It was added because a bunch of bureaucrats thought the gun needed it. The dimple in the carrier works just as well to push the bolt home without ramming it in there and mangling the round like the Forward Assist would.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You're not supposed to pound on it, just a little tap with the heel of your hand to be sure it's all the way forward. Probably not necessary if you keep your gun clean but it's not a bad thing to be in the habit of just in case.

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

We'll have to agree to disagree. If the gun doesn't go bang I'm chambering another round. It that one doesn't go bang then I'm gonna stop and figure out what's wrong and fix it. (Or pull my pistol if it's zombies). ;)

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

If it doesn't go bang, yes. But I've had a few times that when applying that pressure on the forward assist, the bolt has actually moved forward a little because it wasn't all the way seated yet. Granted, this was with the shitty old rifle I was issued where I used to work, but still. I've never had it happen with my personal guns.

That old rifle was a hoot. It was so worn that if you didn't pull the trigger with authority, it would rattle off anywhere from 2 to 6 rounds all by itself :D

16. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

Bought my 1st in October of 2012, a G17, and then my AR last summer. So yeah I'm still basically a prov nov to all this. Wish I'd had this attitude when I started racing, but I'm trying to ask questions then shut up and listen.

Trial and error, trial and error.

Colin

17. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Agree on letting the bolt fly home when chambering a round. Only time you don't want to do that, is on an empty chamber(that goes for any semi).

First AR was in 78. Still have it. Built my first ground-up gunshow parts AR in the 84. Still have it.

Light weight barrel is the best way to end up with a light, well balanced AR. I won't use the ever so common thick barrels. Period. No reason for it.

Someone say slabside? No forward assist? :) Colt SP1. 36yrs old/12k rds thru it.. zero malfunctions to date. Just replaced the barrel. Altho its possible, theres not much lighter then that. This pic was from yesterdays hike here in the mtns. Around 6lbs.
    [​IMG]

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I just had a spell. Some came out. Man that is a PROPER rifle!

19. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

With ya on the lightweight.
    Lighter the better, imho.

I sold this one last year when the market was up+++ Miss it, but liked the $ better, lol.

Originally was an A1 upper w/ colt 11.5" LW "pencil" bbl, all oem, no gizmo's at all...stripped and lightweight gun. Was awesome.

We burned that bbl out and the only thing available was a CMMG 11.5" medium contour A2 (heavier), then tossed on the flat-top/sights/optics/quad/grip/light/steel-hydrolic-buffer/yadadadadaaa and then it was heavy. Never did like it when it was heavy.

If I still had it, I would go back to the orginal config.
    Still miss that gun :(

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  20. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

That is one nice piece! Love the pencil bbl

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014