1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you build id you had more time, or money?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by dave3593, Sep 14, 2023.

1. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I am constantly daydreaming about what I would build if I had more time and money.

Of course what old two stroke guy wouldn't want to build a tz350 from rd350 parts and a tz750 cylinder. There was literally one of these at the 2022 VMD swap meet but it was not for sale. I talked to the owner. With minimal mods it was a water cooled 350 racer from early 70s parts.

One of my recurring dreams is to build a 500 cc husqvarna twin. There were several built by the factory and others that used a 250 air cooled motocross engine with a second cylinder grafted on. And history has it that the transmission worked fine.

What weird stuff have you seen especially built from a combination of parts.

2. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

something with a sxv550...

3. dave3593

Or who could forget the Rotax 256 engine that various companies used as the basis of their 250 gp bikes. These engines are still around.

4. dave3593

That is a great looking base!

5. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Finish my 91 gsxr 7/11 and my 94 zx7/9

6. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Oh hell, I have to pick one? I had an 805cc 3v aircooled Ducati motor I wanted to build at one point... KTM 300 based supermono still lives rent free in my head... the various possible Buell XB motor setups are bouncing around in there now, I'd need the ability to live forever on top of unlimited budget and multiple teams of fabricators... and I'd never run out of ideas.

7. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Still dreaming of finishing my VFR750-RR. Id finally send off the engine over to Germany for major work, then spend a bit more on reducing weight. One day.

969 and VFR#52 like this.
  8. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

A new wife.

9. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I’d love to stay committed to an air cooled RD350. I get them and stupidly get rid of them, once the FZRs scream louder for attention. Or an H2 done up with the best parts from Hinshaw I could throw at it. Really though, I’ve given up on anything but an fzr400 or 4/6. When I’ve gotten on anything else, I always miss the fzr once I’m on track, and get rid of whatever else it was. I have more fun losing on FZRs, than placing well on other bikes.

SBKBee likes this.
  10. dave3593

I have a decent gt750 suzuki water buffalo in the garage I have resisted building.

It would not make sense to race because it would be in V5 where things are faster for far less money.

11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

One day I'll get around to finishing my RZ hybrid

[​IMG]

dave3593 likes this.
  12. dave3593

Man we are thinking of some GREAT stuff.

For now I'm going to continue developing my mid 80s Husqvarna road racer. I have had it to two events. With some more development I believe it will work well.

13. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Fahron in the UK used to make a kit to convert an RD400 engine to a watercooled 430 to race in the 500cc class. It used TZ750 pistons and was cheaper to build and maintain than the "oversized" TZ350's that dominated the class. These were known as "fablon specials" in reference to the material that the number plate was made out of as the majority of them were actually still 350cc which required a blue plate whereas the 500's required a yellow plate and as the larger class was actually designated 351cc-500cc they were technically illegal. It was quite common for blokes to change plates or fairings between races.

The Fahron was a little down on power compared to the TZ's and had a wet clutch but it was still capable of winning in the right hands. Both my brother and a good friend of mine raced them in the early '80's.

yamageezer and dave3593 like this.
  14. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

15. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Finish my long rod IT175 pistoned RD 375. Had collected many of the parts needed, then fobbed half them off with a basket case RD at the El Camino swap meet years ago.

16. dave3593

I've never heard of that combo. Do you stroke it or lowered the reciprocating weight or what?

17. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I have a LONG list of stuff I want to build, and a equally long list of projects on the go already that are in various stages of completion waiting on various things to finish. As far as bikes are concerned I always wanted to build a Tularis inspired track weapon using an old Yamaha redhead 700 triple from a snowmobile as the heart. I also really want to build a running 1/2 scale rc166 replica as a retirement project someday. It actually been one of the driving forces behind me getting into casting at home.

If I ever win the lotto and no longer have to give my soul to someone else for 40-60 hours a week to simply make a living, I'll build lots of cool shit :D. I've been building up the home shop capabilities for the past decade and am finally at the point where some cool projects are much easier to accomplish.

freedomgli and dave3593 like this.
  18. dave3593

Yamaha made a 750, 4 cyl, two stroke snowmobile engine. Attach this to a bike transmission and build something similar to a TZ750.

I went as far as buying a rotax snowmobile engine that is like the engine CanAm used in their 500cc street prototype motorcycle. Of course i would have to join it to a transmission.

19. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I just love the sound of the triples when you get on it. Every time I open up my sled it just makes me giggle and I wish I had that thing stuffed in a bike frame. Of course A modern liter bike would mop the floor with it, but it would be a blast to ride, and that's what it's all about. I feel like heading out the barn right now to fire it up just so I can hear it again :D.

20. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Definitely a gsxr1100/750 combo or a zx9/750 combo. Can’t decide which one would be more fun to race.