1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We miss you Sheik

Discussion in 'General' started by cortezmachine, Feb 12, 2015.

1. That is easily one of the stupidest damn things I have ever heard of. If the KID is 6' and 220lbs, sure. But the parents?.....who 1. Are probably 20-30 years older and 2. Aren't riding the damn bike. That is absolutely ridiculous.

It isn't like the kid is going for a 25yr contract. And even if he was, who is to say what he will look like in 25 years?

I can't get over how fucking stupid that is.

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Not really. These guys are looking at making a major investment in the kid that will not pay off until he's in his 20's. A 13 year old kid is not done growing and the best indicator of his adult size is his parents.

3. I still think it is stupid.

"Sorry kid, you have worked your butt off, have tremendous skills and we think you could win...but your dad is 2" too tall and has a gut."

4. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Doesn't mean it's not taken into consideration

5. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

When I first started doing trackdays, GMD Computrac was out at the track to set suspension for riders. They looked at me and said it is hard to set sag for a person as large as the bike. Springs they said, YOU NEED NEW SPRINGS:D

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How many 5'2", 120lb kids get D1 football scholarships, no matter how hard they work their butts off?

7. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

My wife is 5-4 120lbs and in shape- works out daily (97lbs when we married 21 years ago) I am 6-2 235 lbs and not a body builder, but in shape (215 when we married)

Best guess
    Weight and height of my 3 daughters 13,15 and 19.

Lets see if Red Bull has a clue.

8. That is nowhere near the same scenario because we are talking about holding the way somebody's parents look against them.

A better comparison/question would be "how many high school running backs run a 4.2sec 40yrd dash, averaged 200+ rushing yards and 3 touchdowns per game, but were denied D1 scholarships because their dad is fat?

9. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Red Bull might not have a clue about your daughters but they sure know how to pick some seriously fast guys and push them up the ranks...

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Ed Zachary!

11. racergary

racergary Well-Known Member

If I was to apply for an Rookies Cup position I would put down that I was the adopted son of Jimmy Felice

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Who is that? Jimmy Filice's next door neighbor? :D

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

My guess
    13 yo…5'-3" 118 lbs
    15 yo…5'-7" 124 lbs
    19 yo…5'-8" 128 lbs

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The focus is on build, not conditioning. They're smart enough to know the difference between "dad eats too much fried chicken" and "dad could be an NFL offensive lineman".

15. [​IMG]

16. My point is that if somebody is trying out for a position (motorcycle spot, linebacker, shooting guard or whatever) there are many factors that should be taken into the equation...ability, drive, determination, work ethic, past results, their personal build, etc. What their parents look like should not be part of that equation.

But as always, that is just my opinion. Others may vary.

17. I'm with Chris on this one. I'm 6'5" and weigh 185lbs. My mom is barely 5' and doesn't weigh 100lbs. My dad when he was alive was 5'10 and was probably 140-150. Your parents are not always a clear indicator of who you're going to end up being. Unless I was the milk mans kid my parents would have only shown me that I would be skinny.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

They're looking for that one kid out of an entire generation. They're going to spend millions on him. Hoping he bucks his genes is probably not a risk they're willing to take.

And it's not like they're telling the kid he can't race anymore. If he sticks with it and is still quick and small enough to fit on a GP bike a few years later they can always pick him up then.

19. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

You sure you weren't adopted?

20. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

You never look at a hot chick's mom as an indication of how she's going to hold up over time?