1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V6 HW through V8 HW Points...

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Sep 16, 2016.

1. nhammond54

nhammond54 Hammond Brothers Racing

Ask him what he meant.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay enough of this shit, now you're getting ridiculous.

I have not made any half cocked statements. I asked for input on a rules idea. I have not discounted a single thing. I have provided a counterpoint to things that have been brought up - because not thinking things through or in this case discussing them thoroughly could let better ideas or potential problems slip through the cracks. I don't give a shit what the points are, I'm not chasing them. But last I checked I worked for a race sanctioning body and for me racing is not about participation trophies.

If you feel that is a bad thing then by all means go run track days.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why? It's perfectly clear. You're the one having some sort of meltdown over a discussion about a rules idea - not even a potential change at this point, just a discussion.

4. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Under the sportsman system I race the most I want / can afford to to collect point to move me up the grid. From here it looks like same/same. Except you're requireing me to run 6 races "just" to have a shot.

You keep saying winner take all discounts the value of the championship. But the amatuer car guy's have always done that.
    Plus it puts all of you on the course against the same conditions at the same time. Someone from Cali could have a perfect no rain season and win by getting 5th in the rain at Barber? is he really the best in the country?

5. nhammond54

That is the implication that they do have a 120 points

VFR#52 likes this.
  6. nhammond54

Now how did he do that? Because he raced more and finished better than the guy that won the one off race in the rain? Yes. Did they go into the final race with the same points? No...you can make up bullshit scenarios all you want. Still doesn't change the definition of a championship.

VFR#52 likes this.
  7. nhammond54

Let me put this down here. In what other championship series, whether it be WSBK, MOTOGP, MotoAmerica, or any other professional or amateur series do you know of that at the last race they wipe the slate clean and have one race to decide the champion? Not saying that we are on any of that level. But I spend money to do this, just like everybody else. It just seems ridiculous to decide a National champion off of 1 race. That is all I have to say. Sorry if offended anyone here. Just my opinion and you know about that! Do what you may and I will do what is best for me. And by the way, not way to serious. Just stating the facts. If you can't handle facts. Don't get involved.

V5 Racer, Wheel Bearing and VFR#52 like this.
  8. baconologist

Sage advise.

FYI, there's this little car club that's been putting on races for the past few years. Maybe you've hears of them, the SCCA. Thier national championship is winner take all for all of their amatuer classes.

Granted, they do require 3 race finishes to get an invitation to the big dance. But WERA requires you have completed 1 race.

9. nhammond54

Don't know how long you have been racing motorcycle, but WERA used to be by invitation only! And it meant something if you got invited. I used to wait to get mine in the mail! Now if you show up for 1 race your in no matter what. I understand that the turn out is not what is was in the 90's and they have to open it up to make sure they can pay the bills and make some money. I am not faulting them at all for that. But if you continue to discount the efforts of your riders, people are going to lose interest. And I have no idea why he keeps saying my efforts to participate in his events, just means I want participation award. That is discounting my efforts. So if it changes I will show up for 1 race and go for the championship. ...every year! 1 and done. Why put the effort in?

VFR#52 likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

WERA Sportsman Series. Same as it's been since the first GNF in 1973 (at West Palm Beach International for the history buffs). Most successful national amateur series in the US. Been run by the same person the same way since the early 80's.

I'm not offended, you're the one who is getting riled up. I hear this same stuff day in and day out, I sort through it and try to do the best for our racers I can.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We used to only do the top 10-15 in each class but as everyone has noticed racing turnouts are down.

12. nhammond54

The points system has changed since then. But yes you run a good program. Always have.

VFR#52 likes this.
  13. baconologist

Frankly, tossing the "you haven't been around and don't know shit" card does nothing to encourage my participation in V8. I have more than enough options in sportsman classes to get my "fix"

The system as it stands and as proposed are confusing. Make it simple and people will play along.

VFR#52 and Wheel Bearing like this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have never said any such thing. I have talked about some of the things you're saying as being like participation awards. A number of your complaints absolutely sound like you want participation awards with all the worry over a faster rider coming in and stealing what you seem to perceive as your championship because you ran the class more often than they did. That IS a participation concern and not a being faster concern...

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The only system that has changed is the Vintage one and that was done when we effectively gave the Vintage classes (and a percentage of the entry fees) to others to run for us. A system that removed Vintage regional championships which I didn't like so I put them back in. Of course that was a waste as no one cares about them.

16. nhammond54

It is simple you go to the races, you fight for the points, you get the championship. Simple.

17. nhammond54

Let me ask you this...point blank...do you want people to come to your events 1 time a year or 8 to 10 times a year? What is better for your business? Think before you answer. Or maybe you could do like the SCCA races and require a minimum number of races finished. Anything to show an effort. I know some don't have a lot of disposable income, so make it you have to run so many rather than just 1.

VFR#52 likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We can do lots of things to get more money - but are they in the best interest of the sport is something I also try to consider.

19. baconologist

It seems to be working for the sportsman series....Where people do put value in a regional championship.

This whole conversation reads to me, that you want vintage to be like pro or the national series. I don't have that expectation. To me ot's still amatuer club racing on old bikes.

20. nhammond54

Weren't you throwing up that didn't know how SCCA worked? But I do know some guys that have tried to get in to the SCCA run off...and it isn't run won race and your in. It is damn tough to get in the run off.

VFR#52 likes this.