To be 1million% sure - Solo20

Discussion in 'General' started by KILLEN, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

WTF are you talking about?

At Nashville Superspeedway, this weekend, April 16th to be exact, Saturday, Solos will be 20 laps long. Period. All sprint races will be 10 laps long. Mini's will be 4 laps long.

Yes, you have caught me in a horrible lie. At Talladega and Nashville the Solos are only twice as long as sprints, they are not more than double, they are just double.

Okay - between stupid emails and stupid posts in the last 24 hours this is to everyone out there on the interwebs. Shut the fuck up. Seriously. Do not click that submit or send button. Somehow the questions are way worse than normal, things that I know the people asking wouldn't normally ask so for your own sakes just stop right now. Wait a day - or even two - if you're still confused then ask your question but at least attempt to think it over a bit first.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Again - wtf? The same thing has been on the schedules in the same manner since we started running solo's. Why is it all of the sudden confusing?

It's gotta be the pollen or something. I know you're not stupid so it has to be something else.

3. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

IN hale Ex hale, In hale Ex hale, and repeat!

4. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Next time just call Chris, he'll get you straightened out :D

5. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

Maybe he should just "...not click that submit or send button...Wait a day - or even two"?

:D

6. Coyote1

Coyote1 Well-Known Member

I am disappointed that the solo payouts have been suspended but certainly can understand. The best way we can get them back is to encourage and sell WERA to others. I know that the cash won on Saturday was not a ton of money but there has always been something special to get that "payout" and share it with your wife/kids/friends. I have faith....solo payouts will be back. See you guys at Barber.
    Major

7. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Fully understand them gong away for now. Hate it but if that's what it takes to keep WERA going, no problem!

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

That's fair. I hope you an Ev plan bring some cool ideas for 2012. I do think the Saturday races need to mean something, in some capacity. Whether it's a "solo" or sprint classes, or whatever. Points, money, Sunday grids off Saturday results, double header races, etc.

If part of the weekend goes more towards the connotation of "practice", the buzz of a "full" race weekend is lost and in my opinion, the very niche WERA is trying to capitalize on may lose ground to the competition out there.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

See that's what I'm not so sure of. Other than the money, the Solo's have always been more laid back and less balls out serious than the sprints, makes for more of a fun relaxed day along with the Vintage stuff leading up to the serious stuff on Sunday and I don't want to lose that.

10. DangerZone

DangerZone CAUTION!

Mongo, ignore Joe, we'll take care of his silly questions. He obviously didn't read ahead and answered in order of reading otherwise he may not have been so openly confused. His question really was already answered by that time.

Joe, be quiet before Mongo steps on you! :D

11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

True. I do like that aspect of it. It'd be nice to spread the Sunday's out a little bit too and make those not quite as hectic.

12. RFairbairn

RFairbairn Well-Known Member

Or.... Double the entry fee and pay out 50% of the purse :D

13. I agree 100%. The "why?" is because that is what we do. We race and we chase points/championships. We want to see how we have done all year compared to others etc.

With no payout and no points, the Solo races are exactly that...just like another track day session.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Good try on the whole track day thing there Chris but a swing and a miss...

15. Eh, im learning more towards the Stupid part. :crackup:

Either that or just have him even more fucked up than he was to start with. :D

16. You don't think it would be cool to have points for the Solo classes?

There are several of us just in this one thread who think it is a good idea. I know it is something that probably needs to start at the beginning of the season, but I can't think of a reason not to do it. I mean, it doesn't cost WERA any money to have an additional couple of points categories.

Seems like a fair request to me. No payouts, so let us have points.

I guess the question is, "why not?".

The payouts were removed to help with the financial situation. If having a points system only gets 2-3 more racers per region to start doing the Solo's, then it would be worth it IMO. Every little bit helps.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I didn't say I don't think it's a good idea. I said your attempt to compare it to a track day was a swing and a miss.

Go back and read my response to Eddie so I don't have to type it out again.

Points are easy, they take minimal effort to do. But I do not know if they'll matter to anyone - since they never did in the past. A lot of the people who are asking for points weren't winning the money anyway - so for them there is no difference with the money being there or not. Why all of the sudden is there a need for points? You got no money and no points before, why now do you need no money with points?

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It's all about dreaming you might get it. You know you're not going to win the lottery, but would you play if there was no payout? :D

In all seriousness, I did not even know Solos paid money the first few times I entered. I just liked the idea of a longer race.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's why we're doing trophies, gotta have something to shoot for :D

20. As far as the atmosphere, i dont think it would change. One of the reasons Sunday is so hectic is because there are so many races and not much time between them. It is just a hectic day by nature.

On Saturdays, with only a few races, things are much more relaxed.

On the track, there won't be a difference. While obviously i cant speak for everybody, but once the green flag drops, bullshit stops. When a passing opportunity comes up, i dont sit there and think "well it is just a Saturday and only a Solo, maybe i will just hang around back here and relax". Hell, some people's riding/passing habits don't change from the Sprints to practice.

As far as the points, it is something to build on. If somebody placed 7th, they didnt get shit in their pocket. But with points, they would be awarded __ points. Then the next race, they place 4th. Again, no money...but they earned points. Just like a Sprint championship, it gives people another incentive and reason to do it.

Imagine how crowded (hopefully) the Solo's would be towards the end of the season when people are watching the results and thinking "two more top 5's and i might can win this thing..."

Even if somebody didn't win any money, the possibility was still there. As racers, that is basically what we live for...possibilities. There are tons of racers who may never win a championship and maybe even never get on the podium. But the possibility is there and that is enough motivation to do what we do.