1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for a new dog...

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, Aug 31, 2022.

1. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Clover’s breeders use the AKC Marketplace on Facebook to sell a number of their puppies. Might be an option for your search.

2. six6two

six6two AWD

Man I actually got a stray I just took in at work… she kept coming around, I kept feeding her.. then I decided to get her shots and found out she had heartworms.

She’s just finished heart worm treatment, about 2 months worth and is in the clear with all her year 1 annuals!

My cousin who just got his first house wanted her, but looks like he’s letting his GF get one first… so if you’re ok with a stray, this one would love nothing more than a solid home!

Her name is Ellie, she’s about a year old, she’s very independent as she was just surviving alone on one of the most dangerous streets in the country… she’s very used to the kennel obviously and she’s super quick to learn + observant.

I would be willing to drive a good ways to meet you, and I’m not charging a fee for her.

I can’t give her away to a random person in my town because of all the dog fighting here.

Here’s a pic of her chillin with my American Pitt… she loves to take a ride too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
  3. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I will take him. My Boston would love that

4. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

A bit paranoid but I would run. In the Shetland Sheepdog world if a breeder sells online they are second tier or a puppy mill. Also if I was a breeder I would call the breed by the correct name with a reference to nicknames. For instance Shetland Sheepdogs vs Shelties. The AKC link might have reference to breeders. I found my first guy via ASSA (American Shetland Sheepdog Association) which filters breeders in their list. He was sold as a pet (breeder was huge in conformation) but had EXCELLENT health and temperament. Oh and the next one knew the other even though she was an agility kennel. So anyway see if you can find an org for the breeder. That one smelled scammy/puppy mill though admittedly it might be fine. Good luck on a dog.
    https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/greater-swiss-mountain-dog/

EDIT Low on the AKC page there is a link to the Swissie equivalent of ASSA

omatter34 likes this.
  5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Oh and dog fighters should be castrated then made to eat their own junk.

CBRRRRR999, backho, Senna and 2 others like this.
  6. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Yeah lots of cringe here.

7. long path/road

long path/road let's think about this!..??

are you stuck on the breed?
    stuck like glue and very well mannered..and listens better than the kids..

Attached Files:

backho likes this.
  8. six6two

six6two AWD

Yeah it’s real bad where I’m at.. my American pit actually came from one of those clowns… little guy has got some health problems but is such a great dog!!!

long path/road and Senna like this.
  9. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

No idea about that website but not having the address and not being allowed to pick the puppy from the litter more than saying what cor and gender you want is extremely common with breeders now and there are some good reasons for that.
    They also have things about not breeding the dog and that you can return the dog vs giving it to the pound etc.

10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

There is zero reason to pay any breeder for a dog. Shit loads of them already on the planet that need someone to look after them. Find a rescue for the breed if you are just stuck on that breed.

backho, six6two, Sabre699 and 2 others like this.
  11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That’s what my wife wants to do. She wants to rescue a couple senior dogs when our current dog dies. Ya know, just when their medical bills really start kicking in.

We have had pets since about 1990, and I would Ike to go 5-10 years to travel, do whatever, without having to worry about getting a pet sitter, etc.

I love dogs too, so I will probably lose that battle and do it.

six6two likes this.
  12. long path/road

just suck it up brother...idk just saying...they're fun and if ya watch close enough..amazing. awesome personalities..... guess ha e to look at it in different ways

13. long path/road

have sorry

14. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Not all seniors have high dollar medical needs. At the senior dog rescue I volunteer at, many of them need nothing more than some pain meds for arthritis; just like you and I will probably need when we’re old.
    Senior dogs have so much to offer. I’m so glad that Second Chance Ranch is there for the seniors; I truly enjoy my time there.
    When you adopt a senior, they’re so grateful for saving them; it’s as if they know you gave them a chance when no one else would.

six6two, Senna and Boman Forklift like this.
  15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Had dogs my whole life.

I'd rather a mutt from shelter than a purebred. Way less problems and if you get a 4 or 5 year old you can skip the puppy problems.

Robin172 likes this.
  16. backho

backho Well-Known Member

For sure the the sheer number of great dogs put down every year is appalling! Some statistics are not in actual numbers, but in tons is animals. Do the right thing and get a rescue! The purebreds are fraught with health problems from unscrupulous, money-hungry breeders. One only has to go to an amish puppy mill to be convinced. End of rant!

Robin172 likes this.