1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for a new dog...

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, Aug 31, 2022.

1. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Had to put our 15 yr old down in February. The wife has been searching lately and we have always liked the Greater Swiss Mountain breed.
    The beeb never ceases to amaze me with its knowledge and reach, so has anybody ever heard of this breeder https://giantswissies.com/?
    If so, how was your experience. If not, does anyone have any connection to a breeder? Also looking for insight on purchasing a dog from out of state.

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I'd look into some Facebook groups for the breed normally they are very informative

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Well, the best dog is a cat. But if it has to be a dog, go big...

[​IMG]

CBRRRRR999 and BigBird like this.
  4. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

The Great Northern American Shelter Hound.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Look into breed specific rescues too.

6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Yup...a shelter dog will be the most loyal friend ever.

7. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Go with a mutt and rescue a dog. If possible, get a senior dog. They really need homes because they so often get overlooked at shelters. People want the puppy/young dogs, while the seniors are left to live out the rest of their lives in pens. They deserve so much better.

8. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

No useful information for your specific breed, but if at all possible, go local, or within driving distance. The breeder you referenced ships via airline. That is an extremely stressful event for any animal, and lets just say the airlines don't have the best reputation for treating animals humanely, or getting them to their destination with a pulse.

omatter34 and BC like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's where you have to do more research - breeder we got our last two from shipped them as well but that shipping was done in a carrier as carry on with a person. Not the cheapest shipping but very safe.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  10. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I shipped my boxer to St. Thomas via Puerto Rico cargo back in the day. Then put him on a seaplane because that was my only option in the cargo hold from San Juan to St. Thomas with a rough water landing. The guys opened the cargo hold there, the dog its looking at me eyes wide open like WTF, 30 minutes later hes running around on the beach having fun with no cares in the world. Certain people now have put pets on a pedestal thinking that they are human and think like a person or child, its a dog, the same way a dog gets hurt or hit by a car and limps around on 3 legs and can still wag his tail happy, he doesn't care that he is handicapped, he just keeps moving forward because he is a dog. Good luck with finding a dog to the op

Gorilla George and Motofun352 like this.
  11. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Do you have any interest in Great Pyrs or Bernies? There are usually a few of each in shelters out here in CO. I have one specific rescue I could recommend to you.

12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I'm might be blind, but I looked for an address on that website and couldn't figure out where they are located. They did say you can come pick up your new puppy after they are paid for. So I can't go see the pups and figure out which one I like the best?

13. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Actually, that whole site is giving me scam vibes. Especially the shipping portion.

They say that shipping the dog via airline is $180-$250, but that the dog also travels with a nanny the whole time? No chance that is profitable. Also, no phone number and no AKC breeder certificate?

My sister in law almost fell for a similar scam looking for a silver lab. I would want to talk to someone live and get more evidence those puppies actually exist before sending any cash. Also they don’t seem to really exist anywhere besides their website - no Facebook that I can find.

I’d contact the GSMDCA and see if they can refer you to a reputable breeder.

http://www.gsmdca.org/

https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/greater-swiss-mountain-dog/

14. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Ill give you 3.50 to take my Boston

Oh never mind hes being good today

15. omatter34

I believe my wife said they ship it with someone, so it flies in the cabin. At least that was my understanding, but will definitely look into that.

16. omatter34

Agree that the site I linked seems fishy. I hadn't look at it much, but will be doing some more research on my own too. The wife has been bombarding me with websites, etc since she is anxious to get another pup

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    Senna likes this.
  17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but be careful of the online purchases. My daughter almost got scammed on her new kitten. The closer they got to the flight date, there were requests for cage rental fees and flight insurance for the cat. She cancelled the transaction and challenged the charges...ultimately got her money back. After the fact she checked the ratings on the seller (independent reviews, not the seller's website) and they had a reputation for scamming.

Buell1965 likes this.
  18. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

rescues and shelter dogs have kept me and the wife happy for many years , specific breeds get a tad complicated but what ever your choice will be the right thing has they become family as you well know . Cheers

backho and opinion914 like this.
  19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Two of our dogs are rescues, the third is a designer mutt we got when the mini-blonde couldn't keep her at school. Wouldn't trade any of the three for any amount of money.

Mike Lafayette and Gixxerguy855 like this.
  20. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

One thing I would want to consider is if that breed is a working breed or not.

We adopted a mutt recently who we thought was mostly Staffy and some Cattle Dog. It turns out he is a mix of a lot of high energy, intelligent breeds combined with Staffy strength. Absurdly athletic and fast as shit, but if he does not have an energy outlet each day (daycare or a 5-mile hike with dad), he is a complete terrorist.

backho and long path/road like this.