1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinner Head Gasket

Discussion in 'Tech' started by OGs750, Dec 16, 2008.

1. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

your crank was because you dont have a slipper clutch, you have a slipper "crank" with your violent riding style and downshifts! lol..totally kiddin...NW humor with Sunshine and myself...

Cryo not that hard/rare nowadays, personally im not biggest believer in it for all things, some yes, but not as much as others it seems.

2. Bob Shy

Bob Shy Banned

It's an added cost most of us pedestrian racers mostly can't afford.

3. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I have few of those cryo cranks around,all in two pieces now :D

4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Yeah I blow up transmissions instead. 50-60% of my engine's transmission is now new. :cool:

5. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

you need to be smoother on the clutch. :)

6. TWF2

nothing to do with clutch :)

7. TWF2

maybe you need can of that belesta in your tranny :)

8. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

We need more threads like this. Great stuff for all us closet gear heads. Makes me wanna go tear my motor apart.

9. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Now you know what I'm going through!! Ohio winters force me to work on the bike. If it weren't cold i would just be out riding and really wouldn't be looking for things to do or buy...

10. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Wanna educate me then on what it had to do with? I'm really curious.

11. TWF2

you assuming crank can break only in one direction.
    it can snap under acceleration.

12. Tim Radley

Tim Radley Well-Known Member

Yes i have the cams and crank superfinished where budget allows. You wouldn't believe it would make much difference but you bolt those cams in with no valves and buckets and spin them ..... D A M N

13. Tim Radley

Well i got a six pack of whoop ass sat here waiting to be opened. I bet my 100bhp transit could smoke your shit any day.
    Hey Rock, you should try that cryo treatment, i heard from Chip that you had troubles with blow up tranny's ...... or was he on about something else:D

14. Tim Radley

Oh i see, its pick on Edward Scissorteeth day now is it??!!!!!

3 things you need to understand:-

a) we do not all look like austin powers, some of us are far less stylish
    2) we are 30 years ahead of you guys having adopted the metric system way back in the 70's. We have the ability to use both systems but as most of us have 5 fingers and not 6 like some inbred hillbillies do, the metric works out better for us.
    d) none of you guys would know what 10" looked like anyhow

15. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I mentioned cryo and REM only because race parts often have both. I am more impressed with the REM process, the reduction in friction is crazy as is the reduction in wear. A local shop REMs almost all the Nascar teams transmissions. He wanted something like $60 to do my racebike's internals.

Couple links if people are not familiar:
    http://www.rosler.com/www_roesler2004/rem_process_vibratory_finishing_2797_565_0_f.htm
    http://www.evansperformance.com/rem.html
    http://www.cryogenicsuperfinish.com/rem-isotropic-finish.html

16. TwoCycler

TwoCycler Well-Known Member

No, I have been really lucky with tranny's over the years. Of course, I don't spend much time in Thailand either. Actually, Chip had ALOT of transmission wear problems last year. The real problem I see with Cryo is the huge variety of methods and procedures from all the places that claim to do it. The temp, size of the bath, and bath time vary widely. Personally, for some parts I would go for surface treatment over cryo. I have seen some rods that could stand to be strengthened, but no one has been able to prove that cryo would help with this.

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel

17. Tim Radley

I cryo treat my stuff in my garage. Have a huge deep freeze powered by a briggs and straton motor which i ported myself. No shit now, this thing is nearly as cold as the mother in law ..... Backyard Bob helped me build it.

18. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

Gunny, with all due respects. This is not the way a Staff NCO in the United States Marine Corps carries on. You are better than that.

btw, I've spent some time at MCAS Beaufort. Back in the F4J days. MAG-31/VMFA-333-Trip Trey. Semper Fi.

19. ed who?

LOL +1 Hey TWF2 im gonna guess 2003+ ones huh?

20. ed who?

haha....good morning wake up laugh! Im picturing Austin Powers in his frilly outfit in front of a flow bench over there! With a warm guiness next to him of course.

Hey, im one of the rare americants that uses both metric and std. i perfect std on bearing clearances and metric on camtiming...and 10" the length of the worlds best mufflers...super trapp! :D