1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinner Head Gasket

Discussion in 'Tech' started by OGs750, Dec 16, 2008.

1. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

Tim great post. it is funny when folks think we just slap in a 2 layer gasket and then pour in some duralube..lol. :beer:

2. TwoCycler

TwoCycler Well-Known Member

Tim,

Can you email me privately as to how I can contact Belzona? I have been using pvd applied dlc's along with pfte additives, but this sounds like it could be better. Would you sell it to those less fortunate of us here in the USA?

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel

3. ed who?

we can get in the USA..just dont ask me how i know :rolleyes:

http://www.rumfordgroup.com/

:beer:

4. Tim Radley

Tim Radley Well-Known Member

Well i will have to have a think about that. I have never heard of Team Stargel, sounds like a coffee shop to me. Maybe if you pay me a lot of money i might help. Send me some photos of your sister in the shower then i might consider it.

5. TwoCycler

Tim,

I don't see why you need to insult my team. I would like to point out that my team has won an AMA championship and my R6's have consistently been some of the fastest in the AMA. Personally, I would think that your wonderful WSS engines would make more than 150hp...but what do I know?

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel

6. Tim Radley

Team/Rocky,

I am sorry if i offended you both deeply, it was only my intention to offend you a little bit.
    Well, as you have asked, we have seen more power, as much as 158 at 17,560rpm. But that was with the CR at 16.6:1 and we had issues so now we run 16.1:1 and see 152 at 17,350rpm.
    I am now sure about your R6 but from what i hear Ed has the fastest R6's around. Not that i know much about racing in the USA but its just what i heard.
    What CR you running Ed?

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Rocky, stupid question for ya': Didn't you win something like AMA mechanic of the year? Or was it Vidal Sasoon's hair of the decade?

8. ed who?

lol, i too like the compression...when set up right, hell i bet Tim has SO much compression he is not even running any head gaskets.."How does it seal" its like how the posi traction on a 69' Chevy nova works.."IT JUST DOES" rofl

Our R6's are up there in compression, but not that high....it will be interesting to see what works best on the new AMA spec fuel for 2009..hmm..time to play on the dyno (once the massive snow storm passes!)

We had a R1 superbike (see avatar) that made "only" 187rwhp, but ran at 16.9:1 compression (stroker!) and while not impressive dyno numbers, man that bike scared the 2 guys that rode it! it was stupid fast. Too bad she ate stroker cranks like candy!

But, like Fetch said Tim/Rocky..."come on guys..everyone knows its all ball bearings and 90wt gear oil nowadays" :crackup:

*Tim, you might not have "Fletch" in UK...rent it..old chevy chase movie..classic! :up:

9. Bob Shy

Bob Shy Banned

Dont forget to make an oil restrictor for the oil passageway. You remove the retrictor (I think still that way on '06) when you remove the center leaf.

10. Bob Shy

Bob Shy Banned

Ahhh, this is where Tim Radley hangs out now!

11. Bob Shy

Bob Shy Banned

hahahahahaha.

12. Bob Shy

Bob Shy Banned

You may kiss Tim's feet, he really is THE MAN!!

13. Bob Shy

Bob Shy Banned

He's quite good Tim, go for it.

14. Tim Radley

Well what do ya know, he sent me photos of himself in the shower. I had to cut my eyes out after seeing that so i can no longer work on engines .....

15. Tim Radley

Yep seen the fletch films. Classic.
    We cryo treat all the internals. Lasts longer but don't like more than 16.1

16. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

Tim,

This is an interesting thread. You are the first motorcycle builder I have heard mention cryo treating. I didn't know if it was a builder's secret here in the US or just not practiced. However, my builder did mention cryo treating the R6 cranks.

Do you do any REM finishing? In race car engines there seems to be a lot more of the cryo and REM finishing (especially in transmission gears) than in bike engines.

17. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

im hardly an authority on engine building but cryo treating is not something new stateside, it's just not widely used especially in club racing.

18. TwoCycler

Tim,

You could have saved yourself the trouble by just taking your mirrors down. Besides, I don't see much difference as you might as well have been working blind before. :moon:

You may have the accent and your 158hp R6, but you just wish that you had half my bad ass coolness. Don't make me bring my pickup truck to England and settle this mano-e-mano. USA rules baby! God bless America! Down with the queen...death to tyrrany! Oh say can you see...

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel

19. ed who?

....and i like my beer COLD!

Plus with my fiance being a dental assistant i dont think she'd let me be English....too much work for her :crackup:

Then again, im stuck at shop with 10" snow (portland NEVER gets that!), idiots driving like they are in England with drifting over to the wrong side of the road and all...i guess when it snows in England they drift over and start driving on the correct side huh Tim?

:beer: <----COLD!

20. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

My crank and entire gear box on my SV is cryo treated. :) Wasn't that expensive either.