Thinking about a jeep...

Discussion in 'General' started by BrianC636, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Wow, that picture is really cool, especially next to the close up above for reference.

turbulence likes this.
  2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Hey, turbulence, do you like the Duratracs?

3. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

they're ok... they look the part haha.. we've only had one good snow this year in utah and i wasn't nearly as impressed with them as i was my K02's on my old 4runner... but again, that's just one snow.

4. fastfreddie

Quirks? What quirks? :confused:
    You buy something like this going into it knowing what you're going in for. They still do everything most any other "car" does, and then there's the added capability that no other car has. Buying one as just a car is wasting your money, unless you plan to sell it down the road. Then, you make out like a champ.

5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

There is no way to build at the end of that trail.

I went through two sets of Duratracs on my Tacoma. Good off road, mud, snow. Pure shit in wet. And they wear out fast. The aggressive look is cool.
    I am on AT3s now. Not as aggressive, but FAR better on the road and wet. Haven't had an issue with them offroad at all.

6. fastfreddie

The Duratracs do wear quickly on heavier vehicles (especially a full-size), but my only issue has been ice...they are not alone in that respect.

7. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Speaking more from the standpoint of a toy that doubles as your daily. They ride like shit and steer worse. The rag tops are noisy as shit and don't insulate heat at all (could say the same for ac but I'll assume you'd just have the top down). They're insanely easy to break into. The black plastic trim (fenders and bumpers) needs constant attention to look decent. Piss poor fuel mileage with no power. I don't mind shitty fuel mileage as long as I can tow something with it. some of them get the worst death wobble I've ever seen and it doesn't take a ton of mileage to get there.

They're cool as shit for a summer lake/camping trip toy or if you wanna make it into a real off-roader. But for what they cost, I would want something more practical to double as my daily or for a strictly toy I can think of countless other things I'd rather have. My best friend has one and it's fun to ride around in in the summer. But I'm quite glad he owns it and not me.

8. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I loved, and miss, every Wrangler I've owned. Well, except for maybe the YJ with a 4cyl on 33's... :confused:

They're fine as somewhat daily's but agree it's not a good vehicle if it's your only car. I did hate every minute on the interstate, LOL.

9. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Just get a Toyota FJ Cruiser. Does anything a jeep will do but better (except take the top off and get the interior soaked in a rain storm).

sharkattack likes this.
  10. fastfreddie

That's prolly more than half the reason for more than half the people.

11. fastfreddie

This can all be true. Some people can handle the truth. :D

12. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Can't argue with that. It's the reason I kinda want one.

13. turbulence

No.

14. I don’t have most of those issues with mine and I can handle the truth. Yes it’s noisy inside and I can deal with that. Easy to break into? Of course but I have an amp and custom sub box in mine with a dual taser set up if someone tries to steal it. Only thing I don’t have is a camera so I can laugh at the video watching someone get shocked. I built mine correctly and budgeted accordingly. Build them right and they are very civilized even lifted on 35’s.

15. AT’s are an awesome tire, I have them on most of the time. If it was my pure daily driver I’d get the RT’s but I have a set of MT’s as well I swap out when doing tougher stuff. RT’s weren’t readily available when I got my AT’s.

16. turbulence

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Totally understand. It's stupid but the whole "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand" is true. You love em or you hate em. I don't see anything wrong with either view. It's like motorcycles, you're either into them or not.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

With the amount of heat the TJ/JK models put out you can stay warm with the top down.... :D

19. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I actually enjoy using mine as a daily driver and I am still in an old one with leaf springs. Ya, it is a bit rough riding, it is noisy and the handling is quite spirited. But I do not have to worry about someone running in to me as it would take a hell of a hit to hurt it to the point where I can not get home. It is also awesome in parking lots as you can squeeze right in to spots where dickheads deliberately take 2 spots to keep people away from their cars. :D A huge added bonus for me is the fact that it does not have a ton of power and gets twitchy around 75 - 80 MPH so it keeps me from being stupid.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Same here but prefer the coils :D Never had an issue with mine as a dd. We do just enough longer roadtrips these days that the Ho just made more sense and I wasn't treating the JK as a Jeep but as a car which is just unacceptable. I'll have another once the Ho is paid off, either a TJ or a surplus Humvee.