1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The V7 MW Participation Award

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by kenessex, Dec 22, 2022.

1. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Mark Storck and I are spearheading a first Gen SV650 project which will be given away to a V7 MW participant at the GNF. In order to be eligible for the drawing to win the bike, you must enter at least 1 V7 MW race in the 2023 WERA season. Each entry, as verified by WERA, will be a ticket for the drawing. All you have to do is enter V7 MW, we will do the rest. Any entry in V7 MW is eligible, regardless of the make or model entered.
    The question has been asked as to why we would give away an eleigble bike to somebody that already has one for that class. Our only answers are that this is what we have, we would like to encourage more entries in V7 MW, maybe the winner will be on a V6 bike, maybe this bike is better than the winner's current bike, maybe the winner will use it for an endurance bike, maybe the winner will use it as a loaner, etc. Worst case scenario is that the winner will sell it and get another racer on the track. All valid possibilities.

svbas.jpg This is the 2001 with a clear title that we are starting from. It will have a stock front end on it rather than this unknown Kawasaki set-up. It will also have a Micron exhaust and Hotbodies fairings. We will be in need of some oyher stuff and hope that some of you will be able to help out with the build process. Chobes has already reached out and donated a Fox twin clicker rear shock. There are other things we will need as we continue;
    shock service and probably lengthening
    windscreen
    steering damper
    rearsets
    tires
    spares - wheels with rains would be cool for the winner
    tire warmers
    fork service and emulators, preload adjuster caps
    race brake pads
    rear stainless brake line
    tapered steering bearings
    tach
    oil and filter
    service items
    race stands

These are just some ideas as Mark and I are committed to this deal but we are not made of money, I'm retired and Mark is a teacher, but the end product will be guaranteed to be race legal and track ready. How trick and how cool will depend on how much help we get. If anybody wants to just donate some money, I can guarantee that it will omly be spent on this prize and to offset what we are putting into it. If anybody wants add other cool things to this prize, T-shirts, entry fees, whatever, just let us know.
    Any thoughts, ideas and suggestions are welcome. This is not about me and Mark, this is about community involvement and having fun. Anybody that takes this too seriously is probably in the wrong place.
    Thanks to Chobes for his contribution. We intend to give full recognition to all who help with this in any capacity, but will respect the anonymity of anybody that doesn't want their philanthropical nature known to keep all the beggars away.

upload_2022-12-22_21-7-29.png
    First contribution!!!!

2. kenessex

On to the project, to keep all of the potential winners updated and interested. Now a little backstory about the bike, to get us to where we currently sit with it. I found it kinda local on Marketplace for a decent asking price. When I went to look at it, the kid selling it didn't know much and was telling me even less. It was a non- runner with a lot of bad wiring, no gauges or ignition switch and no sparke. He claimed it was running just a couple of days before, but he left the ignition on and it killed the battery. It only would need a new battery and it should start right up. I suspected he was a liar then and offered him even less, since it had some parts I liked and wanted. He accepted my generous offer and I took possesion of this fine, hacked together machine. I took a bunch of junk off it, led light bar, toggle ignition switch, dead battery, etc and much to my surprise, there was no spark even with a new battery and key switch.
    That brings us to today and a look at the wiring harness as I am making it into a minimal race only harness.
    sv harness.jpg
    This is the harness that came with the bike. Why would any stock harness need to have over 30 connectors? It is ready to lose some weight.
    svends.jpg
    I wonder if these cut wires have anything to do with the missing spark? POs really irritate me and I suspect this kid did some of it, but I also suspect that in a previous life this might have been a race bike or have parts from a race bike on it and somebody built a bad street bike out of a clapped out SV. Some POs should not be allowed to have tools or work on their own stuff.

More to come as we undo what has been done to this poor bike.

3. kenessex

racewire.jpg
    There, I think I have the race minimum wiing harness completed. Looks pretty good:crackup:

Ok, the layout is looking good and all I have to do is shorten the wires and bundle it all up neatly. I am working on relocating the few remaining components so they are protected and easy to get to.

Thanks for making this a sticky, to encourage people to enter V7.
    Anybody that wants to help with this project, please contact me or Mark, @RRP.
    I would still like to sell the ZX6R front end and Remus exhaust off this bike, so I can better afford to give it away. No reasonable offers refused on either one. I also have a number of first gen parts available, especially street parts, radiators and a fuel tank.
    We are happy to accept services, parts or money. Advice and comments are also welcome.
    Who is planning on running V7 this year to get a shot at winning this?

SundaySocial and VFR#52 like this.
  4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

You've got the 2 Nuss boys, my son and myself. We dropped our bikes off at our sponsors shop on Saturday to get everything up to snuff. Looking to make Tally in 7 weeks. I talked to Mark last month and said I'd be glad to throw a few bucks at this project, and we may be interested in the Kawi front end. What are the details and price to Louisville?

[​IMG]

RRP likes this.
  5. kenessex

I would like to get $250 for the Kawi front end and I can easily get it to Mark's in February, when I will be visiting him. I think the front end is ZX6R and it has a Traxion Dynamics sticker on it. It has all bearings and such to be SV bolt on. I suspect that this bike or parts of it had been a former race bike, probably with CRA in MN. If you are going to need some spares for you and the kid, I have a few pieces that could be useful, like gauges, a spare tank, radiator, carbs, subframes, seats, wiring harness, controls, etc. I'll make a very attractive price on a bunch of stuff. As far as a few bucks goes, send whatever you like in care of Mark, as he is more responsible than me.:crackup:

6. rd400racer

Sounds great, thanks so much. My sons bike has a slow leak at the bottom of one fork and we're hoping it's as simple as a bad crush washer or something similar. But if not we may need to be ready for options. For now we want to get through the first weekend at Tally. It's been 2011 since he last raced and 2019 for me, so we're both taking the class simply because we want to do it all together. Hope everything will go well and then we'll be ready to see what else we need to make it through the season. We'd like to make it to at least 4-6 different tracks.

7. kenessex

4-6 tracks would be a fair number of enties that are all chances at winning the bike. I expect Mark and/or I will see you at some races this year. Have you and your son considered endurance racing?

8. rd400racer

Maybe next year, but we'll see how this season goes. Look forward to meeting you.

9. kenessex

This bike would make somebody a great endurance bike in addition to their sprint bike. I hope whoever wins it considers that. More entries for V7 and Lightweight endurance.

10. joec

joec brace yourself

super cool. both of you. wow.

dave3593 likes this.
  11. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

now that’s just fucking scary…

:D

12. joec

joec brace yourself

needs a "superbikey" sticker.

13. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

That's awesome!

14. kenessex

It is actually "kinda superbikey". Hopefully Mark has some more of those stickers or we can get some. Perhaps we can sell them through our online store.

RRP likes this.
  15. joec

joec brace yourself

i know! i would totally buy a couple too. lol.

16. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Hmmmmm

17. kenessex

What???
    We don't have an online store. Do we???o_O

18. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Not yet…

19. kenessex

Cool, can we have some merch? T-shirts, hoodies and hats? "Kinda Superbikey"

20. kenessex

raceonlywiring.jpg
    I got the wiring mess cleaned up and it has spark, which it never had since I got it from the liar PO.
    Next I will be checking the valve adjustment and doing a compression and leak down test, just to make sure that it is really clapped out and ready for the track. But first, I am going to Hawaii for a week since it is cold here.