The rich need to pay

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by gixxerreese, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

You keep thumping on the word private, but IBM sure as shit is not private and has all sorts of legislation regulating what they can and can't do financially. How much did any given local economy "contribute" to bringing IBM to town for the pleasure of those jobs? How much infrastructure does IBM use while likely zeroing out any local, state, federal tax notes possible?

No one is talking about what the CEO/owner/principal of a 10, 50, 100 employee company makes...his employees and customers will likely regulate that for him through natural cause & effect.

Edit: not saying you said IBM specifically was private. Moreso just using an example for how integrated into gov't society these companies already are.

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I appreciate what you're saying Clay and admire your open mind. Remember, those of us that lean to the left aren't the crazy left wingers you hear about the same as most of you aren't screaming Alt Right. Hell, I vote for Rand Paul each cycle he's participated in.

Anyway, I think Chino was spying at my lunch because dad and I came up with a similar solution. Make the hierarchy pay for poor management the same as they're rewarded for good. Pretty dang simple. Of course that will never happen because management is based on a reward system. But what Chino said was correct about smaller companies. When I was an owner, I went from 6 figure bonuses in the good years to nothing in the bad years (fuck you 2008). Why don't the larger companies follow this? Instead, it's typically the rank and file that are penalized when MegaCorp stumbles.

3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Same background as you (privileged growing up), run in some interesting circles, have worked in PE and met these "earners" for my entire career and am now a CFO and I can say you're spot on.

rd400racer likes this.
  4. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Chino, you're talking about existing legislation and no doubt pointing to things like EPA and monopoly regulations. Right or wrong, those are law. That, also, is a whole 'nother discussion. We're talking about CEO pay and making the "rich pay their fair share".

RD, I don't think you are an antifa, BLM, LWnut. However, those types are commonly, and publicly (MSM) more accepted in your party. The right wing crazy (KKK, etc) is whole heartedly denounced by the large majority of us. I also agree with you, it'd be wonderful if upper mgmt and CEO followed these "unwritten" rules. They don't though, and like it or not, they do what they do. The question still comes back to, "What do you want the gov't to do about it?"; and are you accepting of the extremely slippery slope that comes along with it? We both know politicians will NEVER give up an ounce of power given, and it will also be used in a manner that it was never intended to. An example of this is a full on right wing and well supported left wing Patriot Act. Shredding our freedoms one by one. I still have seen no good answer on how either side intends to "fix" this issue through legislation.

rd400racer likes this.
  5. rd400racer

Clay, while this doesn't answer the immediate question at hand regarding the governments role in private companies (hey, I'm straying...it's the beeb:D) but to me an instant fix to government in general is term limits. One thing the right loves to do is defend the Constitution and the ideals that our forefathers brought up (which a few I personally find antiquated and out of touch with the 21st century) but one item that they surely did not foresee was the advent of career politicians.

Two terms and goodbye...thank you for your service to our country. Hey, it's a start.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That has nothing to do with business but I totally agree on term limits.

7. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I am the 10% so you can only partially hate me. I worked those jobs you post of. I was not in the crowd you were though Mom and Dad were fabulous.

It is not that I hate anyone, rather it is others trying to glom onto my hard work as if they deserve it. Like the majority of those well of in this great land I worked long hours, multiple jobs, went to school and took risks. They paid off and now someone that put in their 40 while heading to the bar on off hours wants to take from me.... fuck them. Oh and I realize they will claim it is not them yet they elect those who promise to do that... fuck them and the horse they road in on.

As to the trust fund babies I know some who have fell below me through their actions and some who have risen. The difference is no in the gain. The difference is someone that had little that progresses can appreciate the gain without being Bill Gates. Someone that started as BG's kid though would probably off themselves if they fell into to the lower 50% of earners. While just maintaining leaves a lot of them unfulfilled also, wouldn't trade places with any of them, my life is good.

rd400racer likes this.
  8. rd400racer

I know, I was beebing it.

But let's think deep here. If we have term limits, maybe, just maybe it doesn't give politicians enough time to reap the graft of big business. I mean if you're a large corporation, why spend the millions of dollars for lobbyists if they don't know who the next batch of representatives may be.

Or better yet, just do away with lobbyists...and impose term limits.

Alright, I'm on a roll, what else do you all want fixed:D

9. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

We're our own oppressors on this topic in my opinion. By self selecting into countable teams of Dem or Rep, we can be divided and gamed by the system in place. If we still largely choose to identify with a political party, term limits will only hasten the turnover of players in the game and create more competition for jobs in professional lobbying.

Edit: too slow, looks like we're doing away with lobbying :D

10. rd400racer

See post #48:D

Chino52405 likes this.
  11. rd400racer

Thanks for an interesting discussion. I have to head to a jobsite to watch some work (Hey, I paid my dues:D)

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So wait - you're richer than me! Gimme some money!!!

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I’m tired of it being taken for that and taken for corporate welfare.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Corporate welfare is regular welfare, the whole point is it keeps people working and making money.

15. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, some newly self made millionaire somewhere is saying the same thing. :Poke:

16. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

If our reps truly cared about us, they'd insist on term limits. Also, they'd start working on the small issues that we're close on vs the massive ones They want us at each other's throats, it keeps them in a job. THIS, is why I like Trump as a Prez. Again, horrible human, but the first "non politician" we've ever had. Would have possibly been the same with Perot.

Personally, I call myself a conservative, NOT a Rep. At least half of the Reps make my stomach turn. Locally, I actually voted for a Dem for Mayor a few years back. She gave a damn vs the incumbent. I would have given Webb a serious look, but let's face it, he never stood a chance in the left wing party.

I still see no good response to the issue of "CEO pay".

17. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

It's a fairly simple fix really:

- Term limits- just like the POTUS has
    - OUTLAW lobbyists

There, that's right I said it

18. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Wanna know what's so funny about the calls of outlawing Lobbyists.....like 90+% of the left who make those calls don't realize how they're essentially screwing over their own union houses.....and I LOVE IT!

Nothing would make me smile more than seeing term limits AND a ban on lobbying.

19. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Yep!

20. Phanuel

Phanuel Well-Known Member