1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Harley Davidson thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jul 30, 2018.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Not really looking for a V-Rod, but its pretty!

2. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

what type of riding do you plan to do on it? I have a Road Glide, which has the fixed fairing. It’s the 3rd Road Glide I’ve owned. That thing will just eat up the miles. It’s like riding a damn Lazyboy recliner down the road. Plenty of storage in the saddlebags and tour pack. Now if it would just warm up a bit I’d be in business!

3. eggfooyoung

Probably not long road trips until the kids get older, so just day rides and evening rides and whatnot. Like everyone else, and their brother, I like the look of the Street Glide. Both kids are playing 2 sports, and I'm spread thin as it is, so who knows what the f@ck I'm gonna do?!? I'm looking at boats too. :confused:

4. trispdtrip

trispdtrip Poor, Fat, Slow Racer

I've been thinking about going to the dark side myself. Looking at Road Glides and Street Glides. Like the look of the Street but it has the fairing attached to the bars. The Road Glide is fugly (to me) but the fairing is chassis mounted so it has a little lighter steering, from what I hear. Also thought about a Goldwing but damn it's hard to be cool on a Wing..:cool:

5. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I've owned my 1991 FXR since 91, but didn't buy it new.

I really enjoy the bike. I put about 260,000 on it in pretty much stock form, except for a front end change and a motor swap to a 113".

THEN it was time for a change....its now as pictured, and has about 20K more miles. New 111" motor, Kawi ZX14 front end, billet swingarm, better wheel sizes and tires, better brakes, Ohlins......runs really good, and rides even better than before.

Trash em all ya want gents, there are reasons behind it.....but 30 years and almost 300,000 miles, I think I'll just keep it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  6. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Road Glide. Obviously haven’t ridden it yet this year, but I’ve ridden others. The frame mounted fairing is 100% the way to go in my opinion. I could never get past the idea of bolting a heavy ass, nearly vertical fairing to the handlebars.

got off the phone with fuel moto this morning. Exhaust, air filter change, cam and a 124” bore nets you 150hp/150tq. I don’t care who you are, that’s good god damn fun right there.

CharlieY likes this.
  7. eggfooyoung

Sorry, I meant which motor. Further research told me the 107 is standard, but wasn't sure when I asked.

And yes, those numbers will be a blast!

8. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

That's a damn nice bike Charlie! Even if it is a Harley :Poke:

CharlieY likes this.
  9. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Anybody seen this guy " sit down steve" on social media wheelying the shit out of his street glide ?

It's bad ass to watch.

10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Link?

11. Scotty87

Yes, the 107 is standard. The ‘specials’ get the 114. It’s worth about 10hp/10tq over the 107 stock, and about a similar gap with tuning and exhaust/intake. The gap narrows after an aftermarket cam, and is within 5 of you go the big bore route. It’s crazy how much just a bolt in cam wakes these motors up.

The specials also have the Nav system and better radio stock, it’s a $900 option on the standard. My dealer threw it in for free. The specials also get the blacked out treatment, if that’s your thing. I like it, but I still like a little contrast so I’ve been sending the parts I want black out for powder. It’s worth noting the special is around $6k more than the standard.

12. Lee#144

Lee#144 Track Newbie

I broke down and bought my first Harley in December of 2019. I got a 19 street glide special. Due to COVID I put more miles on it 8k from Jan-June than any other bike I’ve ever owned. As stated above they are just so damned comfy, couple that with a great radio, great times. I put on some slip ons, some better bars, and opted for the comm setup so I can have Apple CarPlay and the Sena setup. My next target is to get the saddlebag speakers. I would also like a bit more power but I’ll wait on that. I was also on the fence between the RG and the SG. I thought the RG looked weird, but over time I think the RG looks better and the dual headlight is a better setup over the SG single. Plus the RG has more storage in the front fairing.

DmanSlam likes this.
  13. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

I have owned 3 Street Glides as well, great bikes but the disadvantage of the batwing fairing is if you are running behind an 18-wheeler, the air buffeting will translate into movement in the bars, since that’s where the fairing is mounted to. The Road Glide has no such problem. Plus as you mentioned, the steering is much lighter. Although I enjoyed all 3 of my Street Glides, the Road Glide is a much better riding experience.

trispdtrip likes this.
  14. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

That's not a Harley though.

15. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

:crackup:

16. Scotty87

17. eggfooyoung

Shit man, who knows. Eventually, yeah, I will.

I might be a bigger tire kicker than Dave.

18. Scotty87

I had more than a few people say “holy shit, you actually bought something?!”

19. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Agreed with @Sprinky, the suspension was the first and only thing I upgraded on my first-ever HD recently: an old-school fatboy that I chromed out. One thing I know about HD riders is they love their chrome and accent lights. The aftermarket for chrome is practically OEM.

Somewhere in this thread, someone mentioned debating between an HD and a Gold Wing. I say HD first unless you're certain you're full-time into touring the 'muricas.

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato, potato

Razr likes this.