1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Gun Question

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by (diet)DrThunder, Jun 9, 2008.

1. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

That would be the reason I've heard... not enough capacity.

It certainly has nothing to do with reliability. 2 of the Deputies I know here in East TN have the Kimber Arms "1911s" in their trunks as their reliable backups. Can't imagine either of them reaching over those AR-15s or assault shotguns to get it though. Their trunks look like rolling artilaries. :D

Of course calling a Kimber Arms a 1911 is somewhat funny. Damn those things are nice.

On a kind of neat note, I have an old Navy Blue Jackets manual(Navy's book given to each recruit in boot camp) from 1917 that has the chapter on handguns and it's almost identical to the handguns chapter in the BJM that I was given in 85 and we were still using them on the sub when I left in 90. Guess that's a reliable weapon. :up:

2. MrWheeler

MrWheeler Well-Known Member

Antiquated?

:)

Man, I thought I was going out on a limb, but you've outdone me with the assertion that most cops can't shoot.

If they can't shoot, how do they qualify to keep their jobs?

:Poke:

3. MrWheeler

A gunfight on a submarine?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I exaggerated for effect but come on, cops are not gunslingers or psychos, they don't train weekly, they're not the greatest shots as is borne out by situations where shots are fired and how many actually hit the intended target.

It's not an insult in any way, nor is it all cops, I know some that are damn good shots, better than I'd ever be - but overall the reason for the weapons they carry is capacity.

5. charles

charles The Transporter

Jesse- real shooters expend maybe two hundred rounds per day.
    Qualifying with your sidearm for police duty doesn't require that
    kind of expertise, nor should it.

6. MrWheeler

Good points. I think Hater should have a Glock, not a 1911. No silly levers to press and push, and it hold more bullets.

I would expect the average cop to be an as good, or better, shot than the average non-cop. A gun is part of the police trade.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The average cop probably is a better shot than the average non-cop - what's that got to do with anything?

8. MrWheeler

Agreed. I would then expect the 1911 to be standard police issue, if it were better, to help close the gap in their collective proficiency.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Have you got any sort of point to all of this? Because seriously, the above made not on bit of sense :D

10. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Shit man it gets worse. I was qualified with an M-14 on the boat. Show up at the gun locker for my weapon during a security breech drill and they hand me an M-14. Now that in itself wouldn't be so bad if I was headed to the sail to guard against intruders but my assignment was the engineroom and the reactor access tunnel. They handed me the rifle and I just said, "are you fuggin kidding me? Just keep the bullets, the butt of the gun will be more effective. There's no way I'm shooting this thing in or near the tunnel." :D

11. MrWheeler

Maybe it's the non-1911 guns?

(I'm just being a pain in the ass, making Dungeon)

12. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I think most of our cops use the Glocks in the 40cal models. I'm pretty sure they aren't allowed to carry .45s as their main weapon. Not positive on that.

13. MrWheeler

Yes, two. Boredom, and I want Hater to get herself a Glock.

14. MrWheeler

:D

I like these stories. My little sister's soccer coach worked on one of those things. Sometimes less is more, and that sounds like one of those times.

15. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Ouch... One would think that just the shock wave within an enclosed enclave would be enough!

I was thinking a Tazer... but even then.

16. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Not to mention the fact that qualifying on the range is a far cry from returning fire...

17. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

12-gauge w/0-0 buck is ideal for those "up close and personal" times...

18. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I'm tryin‘ to figure out if you meant armories or if these TN yokels actually have caissons and cannons in their trunks…

Hater, do not run with the “cannons in their trunks” part…

19. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I can't imagine what it would be like to let off a few rounds in the boat. :wow:

20. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Actually most had the assault shotguns or the 45 pistols. I just had not qualified with those.

Remember, they didn't like us nuke engineers holding weapons with bullets and shit. :D