1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Well the guy I know who drives one particular F1 car said....

:crackup:

I just think they've regulated everything too damn far. Make it a box rule with displacement limits and X square centimeters of downforce surface area then let em rip. Closed cockpits, open cockpits, dynamic aero surfaces, active downforce systems, thrust generating exhaust systems, bring it!!!!

Loud and obnoxious with everyone complaining about everyone else's abuse of the rules is how it should be.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You should. It was very central to the discussion about changing the rules.

If you think about it, it is probably vital for the sport in the long run to stay ahead of tree huggers calls for determination of wasteful activities which, let's face it, it is. Again, my theory. Not claiming to know this for a fact.

3. Al-

Al- Well-Known Member

Because that doesn't limit the budget/power of a turbo engine as effectively while still pushing innovations for fuel efficiency. Imagine what qualifying would look like....

The FIA isn't going to bump RB off the podium unless what they were doing is considered cheating to gain performance advantage. Basically they ran with the boost cranked up to make more power outside of the fuel flow limit.

4. Jed

Jed mellifluous

That's akin to saying horse racing is a showcase of carbon neutral personal transportation.

Sure the ERS and motors are cool and will be great one day in everyday cars, but the whole F1 show is nothing but largesse at its finest regardless of how efficient the cars become.

Get them 100% electric and the argument will be the damage done mining, refining, and disposing of the harmful chemicals in the batteries all for the sake of sport.

5. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

I beat ya both to it :D

I could of swore there was a total fuel limit last year. If not I guess the limits were placed on themselves for weight sake

6. merle4

merle4 Menace to sobriety

A couple points...

1) Fuel flow limit is stupid. Bernie and FIA don't want to risk "The Show" becoming an obvious fuel conservation run. Even though it is just that.

2) Cars sound like shit. To the point of the Aussie promoter group looking into "they got what they paid for"
    http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...ng-possible-breach-of-contract-175238816.html

All told, a bit of a debacle in a sport used to debacles.

3) NBCSN needs to turn down the broadcasting teams volume, I couldn't hear the cars over L. Diffey's chattering. Turn the guys down so we can turn it up enough to hear the cars.

Merle

7. Al-

Al- Well-Known Member

thats a pretty short sighted argument. Lets assume that none of the engineers that were forced to innovate all these elaborate energy recovery hybrid systems over the past 2 years haven't invented or innovated any new technologies that will ever trickle down to anything other than F1 cars in any way shape or form. None of them will go on to other careers outside of racing and F1. Got it. :up:

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You've obviously never heard the green folks' complaints about F1. :Poke::)

9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

There's a pretty good video on /Drive that asks the question...

If it's not the fastest car that wins the race....is it still racing?

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I can never listen to Leo Parente for more than five minutes. I didn't make it to the end of that one either. :D

11. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Ain't nuttin going to stop the complaining unless they start racing on rainbows and unicorn farts and every race ends starvation in a third world country.

12. Tifosi

Tifosi Well-Known Member

13. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I loved the sound of the cars...when I could hear them...so I agree on the turning down the broadcast volume.

14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I think those three guys do well, especially David Hobbs. I heard him say "Boyo boy" about 3-4 times during a pass on track. Diffey is better than Varsha.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Apparently, King Bernie is going to urgently look into ways to make the cars louder.

16. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

17. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

This is as recent as last year:
    http://www.theguardian.com/environm...ell-belgian-f-1-grand-prix-greenpeace-protest

I think no matter what you have out there, there is a faction of people that will protest it. You can't cater to the lowest common denominator.

I am sad at the direction that my two favorite series are going. F1 is a fuel economy run with fugly nosed cars and sound like an Indy Lights car from 1987. IMSA got the God-awful shark fins and now are combined with the boxy, tech challenged DP cars.

I doubt we'll ever see the likes of 8 customer 962's with a legit chance of winning going at it with the factory cars from two or three different factories in sports car racing. I dont know the future of F1, but I am not sure if I like the direction its going right now.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I agree, but they will get less traction with European governments and the general public if F1 appears to at least be making an effort. They used to burn twice the amount of fuel (or more?) the last time they used turbos.

It also might be a lot easier for the engine manufacturers to convince board members to spend the insane amount of money they spend every year if it produces R&D that trickles down production cars.

19. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

I know they were hoping that the smaller displacement formula would bring in interest from VW. We'll see.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

They have a factory WRC program. I think it's doubtful that they will do anything anytime soon.