1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

If Alo is any indication, Hammy has couple years left.
    LeClerc certainly would be the biggest beneficiary w Newey and Hammy there.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  3. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

5. rwdfun

rwdfun

So today's the day?
    https://www.si.com/fannation/racing...to-announce-adrian-newey-exit-imminently-lm22

I could be wrong but, I just don't buy the idea that Newey is leaving because of the Horner "scandal". My opinion of geniuses is they are more singularly focused on their area of expertise and don't have much awareness or care of things around them.

It can't be money. RB would be stupid to not have a blank check for his salary unless Horner is delusional and thinks he is more important to RB, which is plausible. It could be that he is bored and wants another challenge. He could be pulling a Lewis and deciding to end his career in The Red uniform or wants to work with Lewis, less likely. If Newey is setting up a move to Ferrari, Hamilton will be the luckiest man in the history of F1. Other than Max in 2021

Tifosi and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  6. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I'd say the most "wacky genius" option is; he takes his newly acquired yacht and disappears into the sea for weeks at a time.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  7. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

The crash.net article I read makes it sound like he may not be interested in any of the current teams. It would be interesting to know if Andretti has been in contact. That may be the new challenge Newey is looking for and would give a ton of legitimacy to the Andretti bid.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Newey to Andretti is probably the least likely possibility, but it is the one I would most like to see.

9. cincigp

Agreed

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

30 years since Roland Ratzenberger's crash. Tomorrow, Senna. :(

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I was in Brasil that weekend. Those poor people were in so much pain.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  12. rwdfun

rwdfun

I think he has to give out that vibe to get RB to not pitch a big fit. Even so, sounds like he will have some no compete clause to leave early.

I seem to recall a decade or so ago, in the less aero era of F1, reading about Newey being bored of F1 since he couldn’t use his talents. Might have been around the time he was doing racing yacht hull designs. Now being in the ground effect era, I would think he’d actually enjoy designing F1 cars again. Hell, he even designed suspension to help control his aero package. He might want more design responsibility than RB was willing to give him. Although I think that would be dumb of RB too.

I think right now the engine is set for 2026 but I don’t think the aero regs are. He might be freeing himself before those regs are set. RB can make him sign non-compete but they can’t stop him from thinking on his own once the regs come out. This way, there is no doubt any ideas he brings to another team on aero for the new rules had to be developed after he left RB since they aren’t set yet. RB might not be able to claim any IP rights violations. If that’s a thing in F1.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  13. cincigp

That is what made me think Andretti. It would be an opportunity to design a car in a new organization with no history from the ground up. Any current team will have history and internal politics to deal with/overcome even if the car was a total redesign. I agree it isn't likely, but thinking about what motivates someone like him, I don't think it is out of the question either.

CBRRRRR999 and stk0308 like this.
  14. BigBird

BigBird blah

Lewis Hamilton with the Benz F1 car in Manhattan today, guess they getting ready to announce a NYC F1 race.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  15. rwdfun

rwdfun

I like that Andretti is pushing F1 buttons and continuing to unmask their hypocrisy. I just wonder where the funds are coming from. I know that name has money we would think is big but, in the world of F1 billionaires, it will take boat loads to make them change their minds. Having Newey and GM should help but not sure it will change anything. Having Newey at Andretti makes them more formidable entry, which was one of the "reason" F1 gave for not allowing them in but, I could see that making Horner even more steadfast in his hatred. Horner and RB don't propose anything to the other teams they haven't already determined would benefit them the most. I.e proposing locking engine development right about the time they lost Honda development. So you see at Andretti, Newey would still be exposed to RB politics.

I'm not so sure GM involvement is good for anything other than their name and financial resources. With GM development involvement, one thing I can guarantee is that the reduced power red lights on the back will be lit all the time. Those that have driven behind GMs will know what I mean.

Will this be for the NJ track at the port?

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  16. rwdfun

rwdfun

Ummm, yeah. Apparently WhatsApp is adding a new Merc F1 emoji. :rolleyes:

17. Waldo Pepper

Waldo Pepper Active Member

That Oyster 885 he got is exquisite.

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

Bye Bye Newey...even Horner said something nice

19. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member