1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Electric Car Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Apr 27, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

He’s already been given that challenge…

StaccatoFan likes this.
  2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Not a chance 42 percent is renewable in CO. Their winters need consistency in their power supply or the death toll would make the Texas debacle look laughable. The utility company would have to have battery wearhouses as big as Rhode Island to keep the supply needed for those cold winter nights.

3. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

We've been a net exported for three years. Oil imports and exports - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

I've never pushed an anti-oil or climate change agenda , I just rented an EV out of curiosity and I liked it.

4. lizard84

Likewise, he posted " the bulk of electricity comes from coal fired plants"

While you're on the comprehension kick, you might want to study your understanding of GM investments..

5. StaccatoFan

Again. I never said anything about anything else than their investment continuing in ICE. And that they’re holding on til this bullshit ends. The $35bil they’re investing wasn’t anything I care about except it’s probably government money not actual GM money.

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Ok.

A tiny fraction of electricity is produced by coal. :D

lizard84 likes this.
  7. lizard84

Got it, continue to hyperventilate as you wish.:beer:

8. StaccatoFan

Just like the prom Queen. Everything’s great when it’s just a test drive. Live with it for a while. The perspective changes as she gains 50 pounds and adds a shitty attitude.

AC1108 likes this.
  9. lizard84

I'm not really interested in your relationship at home. :beer:

Boman Forklift likes this.
  10. StaccatoFan

You may learn something.

lizard84 likes this.
  11. lizard84

We're celebrating our 38th anniversary next month, hats off to you and your significant other.:clap:

12. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Thanks for explaining this to me...as I do this every day. If you don't use Tesla as a baseline, then you are ignoring the actual baseline and concentrating on the fringe. Batteries for a sedan that can transport a family and have enough range to be practical are much more expensive.

Boman Forklift, brex and AC1108 like this.
  13. lizard84

That's a genuinely good question and I was curious as well.

How much coal does the United States export and to where?
    In 2022, the United States exported about 85 million short tons of coal to at least 71 countries.1 About 55% of total coal exports in 2022 were metallurgical coal and 45% were steam coal.

U.S. coal exports—total and by top five destination countries in 2022
    Million short tons Percentage of total coal exports
    Total, all countries 84.77
    Top five destination countries
    India 15.46 18.2%
    The Netherlands 11.84 14.0%
    Japan 8.24 9.7%
    Brazil 6.50 7.7%
    South Korea 5.23 6.2%
    Total for top five countries 47.27 55.8%

U.S. coal imports
    Although the United States produces most of the coal that it consumes, it imports coal to meet some domestic demand. For example, coal-burning power plants along the Gulf Coast and the Atlantic Ocean sometimes find it cheaper to import coal from other countries than to obtain coal from U.S. coal-producing regions.

U.S. total annual coal imports reached a record high of about 36.4 million short tons (MMst) in 2007. In 2021, the United States imported about 5.4 MMst of coal, which was equal to about 1% of U.S. coal consumption in 2021.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Now turn those gears and see if you can figure out what that means…

15. lizard84

That's easy, from my perspective we are providing the mining workforce with jobs and as a net exporter of this commodity we've helping in some small way with the trade deficit. Win win! Next question tree licker.:p

16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Fool. :rolleyes:

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I totally get that. This weekend when driving up with my friend to Pasadena to look at a mini Cooper, I enjoyed learning about his model 3. It doesn’t have the fancy self driving you pay extra for, but it does have the ability to stay in lane and brake, speed up. Plus there is an aftermarket clip you can put on the steering wheel and it drives as long as you wish. Somewhat dangerous if you don’t pay attention, but still pretty cool.

If used Teslas were in the teens and new were in the lower 20’s like they are supposed to get to, I would probably buy one today as my next commute car. Or if another plaid comes along at $75k with 2-3000 miles.

18. lizard84

Yeah, the model 3 I drove for 3 days had plenty of nanny aids without opting for anything advanced.

The only thing I really thought needed work was the adaptive cruise ( they rely on cameras instead of proven sensors) overly sensitive at night or maybe dirty cameras.

I’d also opt for the aftermarket display that they have for on top of the steering column, it’s an easy install and give you speed and other data without having to look right to the large display.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay, I'm tired of this shit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.