1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Electric Car Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Apr 27, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

It all takes batteries and the Belt and Road Initiative loves idiots like you.

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Hey virtue signaler, as of March 23rd your statement isn’t true. You are a window licking Coal boy!!!
    IMG_1497.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
    Bugslayer likes this.
  3. Boman Forklift

4. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

5. 418

418 Expert #59

Should? They already do...

6. Boman Forklift

StaccatoFan and lizard84 like this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

8. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

You're forgetting 24 hour hydro.

9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Miata lookin' mofo.

10. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

And federal grants.

Sabre699 likes this.
  11. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

"biomass" = Bullshit? I woulda thought the number would be much higher.

12. diggy

diggy Well-Known Member

Yikes, this entire thread is ruled by confirmation bias.. That is for sure.

Drive more than 180mi per day, don't get an EV.
    Have to use public chargers that are crowded, broken, and usually 2-3X the cost of home charging, don't get an EV.
    Have to tow, don't get an EV.

If you have $2,000 for an electrician, or better yet, some initiative, 2hours, and about $80 to install your own home charging 50A plug - get an EV.
    Solar on the house, even better. Probably get an EV.

In CA, yearly registration is $200 more for an EV. Just got my 1st year Mach-E reg for $670, so yes we do pay taxes to use the roads.
    Rates for my charging are $0.09/kw at work Anaheim Public Utilities, $0.26/kw (off peak) or $0.66/kw if you charge during peak times (4-9pm) at home. So Cal Edison (home) is expensive because of a myriad of things, and because they are dumb.
    Electricity Rates are always going up, especially SCE. Solar is a total no brainer for CA. Payback is about 7years and from then on completely isolates you from future energy bill rate increases.

Most cited publications claim that the breakeven carbon emission date for EV's when compared to ICE is 9yrs.
    Buy what you want and what makes sense to you, don't claim the other side is ignorant or trying to convert everyone by virtue signalling.

ducrcr, BigBird, lizard84 and 2 others like this.
  13. Boman Forklift

That all looks solid!!

I don’t know the rates, but my buddy with the Tesla and home solar said there is a special lower electric rate, when you let Edison know you have an electric car. I’m not sure if that is in conjunction with him already having solar on his place?

He put solar on his house himself. Just hired an electrician at the end to wire everything up. Up until a couple years ago my bill had never gone over $200 so it didn’t make sense for me. Last summer we hit $400, as Edison keeps cranking up the rates during high use times. My business used to be $2-300 high and last year it hit over $700 repeatedly.

I’m going to research a rack system to put solar at the shop and install on the roof at home, if it makes sense. It may take a few months to figure it out, but I’m leaning that way, and then it would be easier to drive one of those soul sucking electric cars. :crackup::crackup:

Monsterdood likes this.
  14. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Agreed. The virtue signaling is pathetic. Get what you want. The only "go green" that matters is the money.
    I got battery-powered lawn equipment. It has saved me money and time messing with oil change/spark plug/filter stuff. Has nothing to do with anything other than it saved me the green that matters, and I wanted to.
    It's nice. But I am not going to go around telling everyone they are killing the blue-tufted wombat because they didn't buy something like me.

For cars, the only EV that makes sense in my life would be an inexpensive NEV. If a company finally makes one worth buying, I will likely do so. And it still won't have anything to do with anything other than I feel like it and it would save me some green.

BigBird, 27, Sabre699 and 1 other person like this.
  15. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

And there it is.

For every “discount” carveout, there’s someone else being overcharged for the exact same 60Hz sine wave.

Government cheese is mighty tasty when you’re not the government mule tasked with making it.

StaccatoFan and brex like this.
  16. cu260r6

cu260r6 Well-Known Member

The federal tax credit requires the batteries be sourced primarily from North America to qualify. Where do you think the electronics in your ICE are made?

This thread so far:

Pro EV argument -> data, statistics, expert opinion, etc.

Progress hating knuckle daggers -> THIS ONE ANECDOTE FROM A THIRD COUSIN'S BARBER'S MECHANIC DISAGREES WITH YOU AND CONFIRMS MY BIAS SO YOU'RE A MORAN/IDIOT/LIAR AND I HOPE YOU DIE SLOWLY!!!

17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I believe I mentioned earlier that where I live they
    pay the solar system owners the retail price of the
    electricity they return to the grid which drives my
    already high rates even higher. The state is also
    subsidizing a biomass plant (you know, burning wood,
    which produces air pollution) at such a high cost that
    it was recently calculated that they could just close the
    plant and pay the employees to stay home and it would
    be much cheaper. Burning wood for power because it's
    a "renewable" source and calling it green is just umb-day.

18. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Actual progress wouldn't need to be subsidized, this is just change.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  19. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:cu260r6, isn’t it time for you to show your degree from a prominent university? You seem to have a very high opinion of your own intelligence.
    The only way there will be enough grid capacity to switch to ev’s is with the wholesale adoption of the true cleaner energy source, nuclear power. Until the conversation moves in that direction all of this is just virtue signaling…

StaccatoFan likes this.
  20. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I believe most states follow the net metering or net billing model for excess solar power. I am curious how that would increase your rates. I'm not doubting it but please explain how that works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.