The Electric Car Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Apr 27, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Around 400 with the trailer is as far as the truck is going. My daily driver has a small tank, so it's about 400 also.

A hybrid would be good for my daily. It'll do the miles and hopefully get good mileage.

Last year I pulled two decent drives. In the van full of tools, Columbia SC (breakfast) to Dallas TX (dinner). In the truck/trailer, Albuquerque NM to Tupelo MS in one day.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

My buddy has a model Y only because his work has "free" charging. When he wants to ride dirtbikes during the week... he loads up his hitch carrier, a mattress, & gear. Leaves work at 6am and makes his way to the park that opens at noon. Usually puts the unit in camp mode and grabs a few hours of sleep. Rides from 1 to 4... loads up and drives back to work for 7pm. He does have to recharge a few mins about 1/2 way back. The scary part is he does the drives with the auto pilot feature which limits the speed to 60mph in the right lane.

3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

At least it's not the left lane where the speed limit is 70.

4. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

What is this some kind of guilt trip. just joking

5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Ford was "forced" (coerced, choose your verb here) to take bailout money because the government didn't want it to seem like only GM and Chrysler needed the bailout money (when that is precisely what happened, and Ford was "punished" for being responsible and not needing bailout money).

Source: covered all three credits in a previous life when I was trading leveraged loans (2006-2010).

BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  6. SuddenBraking

That's not what the article says. Whether it's simply poorly written or intentionally misleading, this first paragraph is not saying that:

upload_2023-7-4_19-16-28.png

It's saying that electric vehicles account for less than 1% of 250 million, or ~2.5 million. Assuming the selling of new cars is aligned with the buying of new cars, that gives us 2.5/17 = ~15%.

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Just pulled off I-5 one exit from Buttonwillow racetrack and they have a Tesla charging station. It was full of 10 Tesla’s and had one waiting.

The large TA truck stop across the street has plenty of open pumps.

AC1108 likes this.
  8. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Perhaps you missed my post where I stated my lack of concern for west coast problems. I pulled into a supercharger station twice, once they were empty except for a superduty truck taking advantage of 10 min parking for non electric vehicles, the second time there was one Tesla and my rental.

9. Boman Forklift

Believe it or not, you aren’t the only person in the world considering an electric car.

It will change out there too.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2023
  10. lizard84

So they took the money, were they forced to take the 6 billion they took preemptively before the 15.9?

And again, I’m glad they did , forced to or otherwise, I saw no value in any of the big three potentially going under.

I didn’t dredge this shit up , I just rented an EV & enjoyed the experience. Everything’s got the be an argument here, auto bailouts & airline usage or lack there of. Lol

11. SuddenBraking

Yes.

I'm not arguing; I saw a misstatement and attempted to correct it.

FWIW, I've intentionally stayed away from this thread because this topic attracts morons like moths to a flame, but we're in the market for a third car (even though we're a 0.5 car family, FML) and I'm researching hybrids/electrics so thought there might be some relevant info in this thread.

Past Me is currently mocking Present Me for my gullibility.

12. Boman Forklift

You do realize when you make comments like, I don’t care how they do it on the west coast, you are being argumentative?

I was actually just sharing info, since your post reminded me about Tesla’s charging stations getting filled up. I also mentioned this earlier about going to Vegas, but this was the first time I have seen it.

I was sitting in the Starbucks drive through so my wife could get her green iced tea, and there was the lineup of Teslas.

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

The Tesla charging station was almost full (20 chargers) yesterday afternoon, July 4th.
    What's the cost to recharge?

14. lizard84

I checked the app this morning, in Florida the busiest I found had 6 of 12 chargers available at $.30 kWh , no waiting times on the half dozen I checked on the app.

Razr likes this.
  15. lizard84

Like I post earlier, I was charged $27 for two sessions, I was refunded $11 by the rental company. Ridiculously inexpensive to operate from an electrical usage perspective.

I’m certain there could be unexpected maintenance costs I’m not aware of, I imagine these cars go through tires like crazy, because all you want to do is hammer it.

Not a car I’d want to own out of warranty, but that would go for BMW’s & Mercedes to name a few.

BigBird likes this.
  16. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

Says one of the most argumentative posters on here.
    Insert face palm.

Boman Forklift and YamahaRick like this.
  17. BigBird

BigBird blah

how did the rental reimbursement work?
    I saw Hertz had something about bring it back empty or whatever, but if you didn't they would refund you. The rental reps had no clue.

Side note, while in Hawaii, they only had 3 chargers at the hotel, and there were over 20+ EVs...there was definitely demand there. Not sure where else most people were charging

Boman Forklift likes this.
  18. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I was just reading an article in one of my old Aotomobile Quarterlies about the Detroit Electrc car.
    90 mile range
    25 mph
    Old lead acid batteries
    Touted as a great urban vehicle for the professionals
    Sold a bunch of them

Boman Forklift, MachineR1 and Razr like this.
  19. cu260r6

cu260r6 Well-Known Member

I have a Kia EV6 as a daily driver and use it for my tow vehicle as well. It gets 300 miles real world range even through the mountain passes here in CO and about 120 miles range towing my 14x7, 3000 lbs race trailer which is great for a not-even-RAV4 sized crossover SUV. It charges 10-80% in :18 at public chargers which I have only had to use twice in 10k miles because I wake up every morning with a full tank after charging at home. Kia also provides about 4500 miles of free fast charging at Electrify America chargers. And I can run my warmers off the car's battery, so there's no need for a generator on trackdays.

The numbers belie the driving experience though. It is so stress free to drive silently without any worries about passing power or downshifting for hills, overheating the brakes or transmission, if the engine is up to temp in the cold or the radiator overheating in the heat, or maintenance intervals or mechanical failures. And the autopilot (smart cruise control and lane keeping assist) is worth far more than its weight in gold in stop and go traffic.

All the ICE stalwarts are not considering one major benefit of EVs, no altitude losses. A Ferrari Roma does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds at sea level but only about 4.3 at 6000 ft elevation where I am. My Kia does 0-60 in 4.4 at sea level, a nearly Ferrari equaling 4.4 at 6000 ft, and a Ferrari killing 4.4 at the top of Pikes Peak at 14,000ft.

20. lizard84

Received an email notifying me the credit. I had no clue until I received the email.

BigBird likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.