1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV Tank Overflow tubes

Discussion in 'General' started by SClark, Sep 23, 2002.

1. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

Next time you open your SV fuel tank, look on the Port side under it at the overflow drain hose opening. Verify that it has not broken at the weld.

The purpose of this tube is to route water(rain) and overflowing fuel down the tube, out the back of the tank, and down the rubber tubing onto the street or your belly pan.

When the weld breaks, this allows the fuel inside the tank to spill forward under heavy braking.(Especially when you have a full tank.)

This issue is what cost Team Charm a position or two during the Summit Point 6-Hr Endurance race. Last night, I found that one of my sprint tanks has the same.

You can either cut the tank in half and reinforce the welds, or epoxy/silicone over the hole.

2. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

Cool! Thanks's for the info.
    Any idea on what specifically did theirs (and yours) in?
    Rough handling? Does it ding something? Wreck?

3. SClark

Re: Re: SV Tank Overflow tubes

I rode mine at Nelsons and Summit, so "Rough handling" counts. :) They used theirs at 7 endurance races and a handful of sprints before it gave up.

I've heard of this happening to at least one other person, so I don't think there's any one cause, except craftsmanship.

If you don't fill the tank, it shouldn't be a problem, as the fuel can't splash out from down low, but fill that sucker up and brake hard...

4. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

Seems like most do it eventually, 'tho I'm sure crashes don't help (mine had been down 4 times before the tube broke).

5. peterhaulintail469

peterhaulintail469 Orange-u Racing 469

i noticed mine was broken, after the rattle. Then gas leaking from tank after my fall two weeks at Nelson's in practice? I was afraid the epoxy/silicone would mess up with some high octane gas in the tank? thanks,

pete

6. Greg Williams

Greg Williams Old & slow

Easy Fix

We've had both of our endurance tanks fail, apparantly due to vibration and poor welds. Take a Dremel tool and get fresh bare metal on the top of the tube and for 3 or 4 mm around. Braze the tube to the tank. If you're careful with the flame you wont even have to repaint. We fixed both of ours this way and each bike has at least 12 hours on it since. I called Suzuki and was told that they were unaware of any problem! No interest in the potential danger. What a shitty company.

7. peterhaulintail469

peterhaulintail469 Orange-u Racing 469

Suzuki makes awesome bikes, but they do act like thier shit don't stink on a design failure. The TLS's break frames, not at a weld either. The law in ohio helps though.....lemon law.

I'll fix mine as described and thanks again guys.....

469 owwwwwww

8. dave333

dave333 traveler

Anyone tried the "cut your tank in half" route? Just curious...:D

9. SClark

The Tight Squeeze "Exxon Valdez" supertank has been apart twice. Had I known the weld state then, I could've done something about it. :(

So, what is brazing and how do I do it with tools from Wal-mart/Home Depot?

10. SClark

Re: Easy Fix

I know one racer that got an entire replacement tank from them, so Suzuki knows, don't let them fool you.

Personally, I think a recall is in order, but they can just tell us to stick it since we race 'em.

11. dave333

dave333 traveler

Re: Re: Re: SV Tank Overflow tubes

I used to silver solder with a low heat flame from an oxy/ace setup... I wonder if a propane torch will get hot enough for silver solder?

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just to interject a little bit of reality here on the recal end of things - if this doens't happen to street bikes (which I haven't heard it does) then why should Suzuki recall anything? It's not like racing is normal stress on a motorcycle by a log shot.

13. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Re: Re: Re: SV Tank Overflow tubes

Brazing is using an acetalyn (sp) torch and brass sticks to do the "welding". Usually you can't do it with cheap home tools. You must have the proper set-up and tips for your torch.

14. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

It happens on the TLR's & most all of the ones I know about are streetbikes. Never had a problem with the (2) SV650's I have had.

15. new fuel injected Sv650

hey Steve have you seen the new SV650 , new frame, fuel injection, aluminum subframe,etc... Sweet. I cant wait

16. TLsupertwin

TLsupertwin Well-Known Member

Hmmm.... That may be what let water into mine a month or so ago. I'll have to check that out.

17. SClark

If this were a footpeg problem or other non-flammable widget, I'd agree with you, but it's not. It's fuel. If a bike goes down(street or track) and fuel starts dribbling out, it's a safety issue. Agree?

Other tanks on other bikes(be it this or other manufacturer) don't have this problem, so that's my basis. That, and the thought of my bike exploding.

18. SClark

Re: new fuel injected Sv650

Yeah, I'm torn. Do I sell all of my current bikes and go for the latest, or just flog the hell out of what I've got?

If the new one has ram air, then I'll throw in the towel and start fresh.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope sorry, I don't agree. Crash damage or damage from extreme use on a motorcycle is not the OEM's problem - you are using the bike in a manner for which it is technically NOT designed (ever notice they don't do warranty work on race bikes?). So, it is your responsibility to make sure the machine is kept up and all the parts are checked out. This is no different than using cast iron rotors and having them explode or any other item on a racebike breaking because of the use - it is the responsibility of the user, not the maker. Kind of like blaming gun and knife makers for murders, just plain silly to my way of thinking. If the tank broke under normal street use then it would definitely be an issue for the OEM since that is what the bike is made to do.

As for a bike going down on the street and dribbling fuel - of course there's a safety aspect, that's why if you crash your streetbike you fix the broken bits - including the petcock if needed. Racebikes don't always have the broken bits fixed - but again, that's the riders choice, not the OEM's.

I do applaud you for bringing the cause and the cure to the attention of others that use the machines in the same manner. That part is very cool.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Re: Re: new fuel injected Sv650

I'll try to find out today, got a contact at the show that can look fo rme.