Sometimes 4 fingers just isn't enough!

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by WERA854, Sep 2, 2010.

1. craig641

craig641 Well-Known Member

Rabbie's got the same drum on the front of his bike that he had when he was running the sportsman class. A Fontana (I believe). And he never bumped up when running sportsman and never bumps up when running the Formula class. His laptimes on his 350 in the F250 class would put him at or near the top in the F500 class. I don't think it's a matter of whether he thinks it worth while or not. I think it has more to do with the fact he's running a Triumph in sportsman 750, a Honda in F250, and the money pit of a BMW sidecar. And like the rest of us he's working for a living and there's a limit to how much you can do.

Craig

2. WERA854

WERA854 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification Craig. My ignorance makes it obvious that I never got a good look at his bike.

For some reason I thought you had mentioned in a post earlier this year that he had a disc, but you must have been referring to the addition of the fairing only. My memory may be slipping...or I might have lost access to that file when I hopped off in T3 at Roebling. Most likely I simply jumped to that conclusion all on my own by projecting my own paltry budget onto the brake buying decision. :eek:

If I had already invested in an authentic GP 4LS brake I guess I wouldn't bother to fit a disc either. But not having one, it seems more cost effective for me to fit a cheaper, simpler disc and focus on WERA V1/V2 and AHRMA F250.

I didn't mean to speculate on Rabbi's choice of classes...I should have said that it doesn't seem feasible for me to run my CB350 in F500 given the limits of its hardware and my software. :rolleyes:

3. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

I heard that. :tut:

4. WERA854

5. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

6. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

those sundial guys are still around?? do your have a website for them??? i was a member of their BBS but i went away for a few months and when i finally got on a computer the links didnt work.

7. diamondj

diamondj Well-Known Member

Vince - Sundial has moved a couple of times and the board is now here:

http://www.suzuki2strokes.com/forum/index.php

As for the 230 Grimeca - I agree with Vintage Brake's assessment:

"230mm Grimeca--Big bang for the buck, but at 21+lbs (a little less than a stock water buffalo), you better not care about turn-in. Stock shoes O.K."

My crappy postal scale shows it to be the same weight as a buffalo brake.

Jim

8. WERA854

I just weighed a stock T500 brake w/o shoes @ 9lbs.

9. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

You should skip practice at SP next weekend. :D

10. WERA854

I'm going to treat the Honda to a smaller R. sprocket, so I might want to find some shift points before the race as well as that elusive brake marker. You've got many more laps at SP than the rest of us, so you're the one who could safely take the morning off...and isn't that RD the bike you've commuted on for the last 25 yrs? ;)

11. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

Maybe six or eight years ago, I could have skipped morning practice and been okay at SP. This year I have gotten more track time than the previous five or six combined. I am feeling pretty good out there but, me and the "Purple Warbler" need all the track time we can get.

The last street RD I had was in '94. Every RD I have picked up since then, winds up on the race track. I have an RD250 thats close to street readiness. I havent had a street bike since I let go or the R80 in '07.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010