1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sometimes 4 fingers just isn't enough!

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by WERA854, Sep 2, 2010.

1. WERA854

WERA854 Well-Known Member

This is a follow-up to Buff's motivational video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxXFNLlcZNM

The standard procedure with my T500 brake at race pace is: pull hard w/four fingers, then on the 3rd "Oh Shit!" you turn...but sometimes four fingers isn't enough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uPTevbP1uo

Instead of practicing w/the ARHMA folks on the South Course I spent Friday in Roanoke getting the rear turbo boot replaced on the van - and no, they did not remove the body to get to it. A mutant mechanic aka 'Fingers' was dispatched to deal with the boot clamps by braille, and by teatime we were rolling back to the track.

After the poor carburetion at the Cycle Jam I decided to take Buff's specs seriously and spent Sat morning trolling the paddock for the right needle jet. Found it, but missed practice altogether. No biggie, I'm hot off the WERA races, and I know where the track goes, so I'll use last year's reference points. This results in the humiliating video linked above. :stupid:

Seems that with a real race motor I now have a tiny window to maximize my braking in T1...any sooner is just too slow and 20' later is too late! Well, I got it right most of the time. I only blew it once per race. :eek:

I was pleased to see that I could run w/Rabby's Honda in Sat's F250 race 'til I hit 5th gear...now I know why they make a C/R 5th. But Craig's Honda was a rocket! What do I need to stay with that thing?

2. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Hey man, rough day but its sounds like the bike was running good.

Gettin passed by Scott Turner on that 334, been there done that bro!.....I thought after you got by him in the last part of your clip, maybe you had him.....I was pullin for ya :up:....then NO NO! :(

3. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

Hee hee hee....I had a front row seat for the 2nd excursion there....I've got video of it from that angle....

4. CharlieY

I saw you in there Chuck.

Good luck on the Lil Ninja this weekend!

5. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

we don't need no stinkin' luck....

6. CharlieY

Thats right....dang...what was I thinking?....you guys have the Walker Blessing goin for ya! :D

Good luck anyhow fellas.;)

7. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

You four finger guys are studs...

8. WERA854

WERA854 Well-Known Member

Chuck
    I'd be curious to see your view of that first race.

You're kinda the star of Tony's video..you got the most closeups:

http://www.youtube.com/user/tread66#p/u

People seem to ask the same 3 questions when they find that you race:

1) How fast do you go?

2) Do you make a lot of money doing it?

3) Are you on T.V.?

With so much video out there on uTube, now we can say, "Yes", to #3. :D

9. Chumbucket

Awwww, geeze, didn't you just say a mouthful...And then when you answer them honestly they look at you like you have two heads...

10. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

i have a 1970 T500III, i couldnt imagine attempting to use those drum brakes on a track. i restored it after saving it from a barn. only drove it once because parts seem to be hard to find up here. if any of you guys took out your oil pump and still have the plastic oil lines i sure could use the right side one. i have tried to repair it but it still leaks down and allows air in losing its prime. also could use an oil pump cover. i forget how many miles are on it, im only the 3rd owner, and the second owner never drove it.

[​IMG]

she isnt 100% but she is clean, repainted and i put lots of hrs into it.

PM me if you have any stock parts for one of these that you might be willing to part with so i can put it on the road.

if it aint smoking, it aint runnin!!

11. Chumbucket

Vince, you ought to start your own thread looking for those Kawi parts so it doesn't get buried in this four finger diatribe...Mention something about two-strokes in the title, those guys are like Moonies at the airport in the old days, they'll come pouring out of the woodwork...

12. CharlieY

Hey Vince....We consider your T500 brake an upgraded brake.:eek: over what came on our CB350's stock......Your drum is the GOOD stuff....sounds strange, I know.

Eric, I've noticed a drastic difference between the 2 T500's I have....the one that was done by Vintage brake I like better.:up:

13. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

the bike is currently burried behind 2 other bikes LoL. and she is a suzuki. (my only non honda bike)

i couldnt bring myself to put this bike on the track. its gotta be a pain building parts that are made of unobtanium!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  14. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

ya the dual leading front shoe eh. lol. i had the pads relined when i was restoring the bike. do the older ones have a leading and a trailing shoe? like found on teh back on my T?

15. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

i wonder if Wayne still considers the T500 drum an upgrade? :)

16. Chumbucket

Isn't there some sort of weird ritual you have to adhere to as well when mounting the front wheel lest the front brakes just turn into a fashion accessory of the unsprung weight variety?

I dunno, squeeze the brake lever, tighten this, shake your wanker towards the setting sun, tighten that, do the Jitterbug, and then repeat the process in reverse? I remember reading something about that...

17. CharlieY

Wayne just overpowered that thing!

Cracking problems aside, the contact area, diameter, width, bearing, are all better than the CB350.

Not to discount anyones problems with the T500...but the only drum brake I (personally) have witnessed a failure with is the CB450 drum of Perinthians....the liner broke in 2 I think.

18. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

HAHA

im positive you have to close your eyes to get any braking power from one of those things lol. squeeze your eyes tight and when you open them hope you havnt hit whatever stopped in front of you haha.

19. Chumbucket

Honestly, these guys are studs...

I can hop off a GP shift and onto a standard shift bike no problem...I just repeat to myself a couple of times, "Fast is up, fast is up," OK, standard shift...GP shift, the same, "Fast is DOWN." I don't have to think about it after that...

But I'm an inveterate throttle blipper, and I can't do that with four fingers, I mean I guess I don't know that I can't, but I never have...Maybe it's muscle memory, who knows, but it is always two fingers...Weird mind things I suppose...

20. CharlieY

Funny you should mention that chum....cuz....you can watch a pro do it by viewing the video link at the top of this thread. :up: man, that was a great segway back on thread!

I also picked up a few other tidbits on there....on the bench, I noticed the extra gear between the oil filter and clutch drum...jeez, locking the motor in place by just setting that there.....frikkin brilliant I say!!!:bow:

HA!....I do the down is fast thing too.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010